Anyone listen to Bloc Party? New Single - Mercury
Jul 8, 2008 at 5:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

mikaronni

100+ Head-Fier
Just wondering if anybody listens to Bloc Party. A new single debuted recently, entitled Mercury. I don't know how to feel about this. It's quite energetic, but I was expecting something a little bit similar to their old albums. But then again, I'm sure it will grow on me just like The Prayer. What are all your opinions?

This is their video for the song: Mercury

Jul 8, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #2 of 17
Sure I do! I've enjoyed both their full lengths.

My first impression of Mercury, is not very good unfortunately. At least Kele has decided to tackle geo-politics - really the big bad Mr. Bush - again. I found songs like Price of Gas more interesting than say Uniform which barely elevated above earnest teenage poetry imo. Perhaps a petty issue since Bloc Party is more about snazzy production and big pop hooks, to me at least.

My two bits. Thanks for the heads up.

Jul 8, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #3 of 17
I didn't so much like it. I really dug Silent Alarm, even with some missteps it played like an album full of singles, great hooks great production etc... Starting with The Prayer I just have found myself less interested. A Weekend.... was a fine album, but if this is any indication they're slipping a little further.

We'll just have to see when the new full length drops.

Jul 8, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #5 of 17
Not real impressed with the new stuff so far....Kinda feels like the political stuff is "jump on a bandwagon" that I am just tired of. Come on, be a little more creative at least....

Jul 8, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #6 of 17
I only like the Silent Alarm stuff, not a big fan of any of their new stuff.

Aug 21, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #9 of 17
I absolutely loved Silent Alarm, and I also loved Silent Alarm Remixed (maybe more). But I never really got into the second album. I was hoping it was just a sophomore slump kind of thing. I'll have to listen to Mercury when I get home tonight and see what I think.

Aug 21, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #10 of 17
i've seen em live three times and was front row floor last month. i was so close, i could see what color picks they were using.

they played mercury...i didn't dig it

my favorite stuff of bloc party's is silent alarm, the first half of "a weekend in the city", two more years, and rhododendron

Aug 21, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #11 of 17
Yeah, I totally agree with earlier posts.

Their first album was so brilliant and interesting but their later works sound more like bad copies of silent alarm. I remember when I saw them live people were very engaged and excited when they played the "silent alarm" stuff but then the whole atmosphere turned sort of dull when they played the "weekend in the city" stuff.

I hope they get back on the track with their next release although it sounds like they won't.
frown.gif

Aug 22, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #12 of 17
I went ahead and downloaded intimacy because I loved Silent Alarm and i liked (not loved) Weekend in the City.

So far i'm mixed about it. It definitely tries to have the edge and intensity that Silent Alarm had in spades and that Weekend had echoes of (Disappeared) but on the first few listens seems to be trying to hard for.

Regardless it definitely does not have any of the wow moments that Silent Alarm had (eating glass, banquet)

I'll keep listening to it and see if it grows on me.

Aug 24, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by sno1man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So far i'm mixed about it.

Yeah after several listens, I don't want to sing its praises nor put it on the shelf. I'll keep trying because Bloc Party are one of those bands I really want to like. However something about Intimacy is just out of reach.

I doubt that many will enjoy it or remember it a year from now.

Aug 24, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah after several listens, I don't want to sing its praises nor put it on the shelf. I'll keep trying because Bloc Party are one of those bands I really want to like. However something about Intimacy is just out of reach.

I doubt that many will enjoy it or remember it a year from now.

Another so-so album? Such a pity. I, like a lot of people, want to like Bloc Party's stuff but I guess this one's another less than expected piece.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back