Anyone like Opeth or Iced Earth?
Sep 1, 2004 at 7:50 PM Post #18 of 55
I can't believe I'm the only person besides Iron Dreamer + Love HP to mention the song:
Black Rose Immortal

Are you sure you guys listen to Opeth?
tongue.gif

Sep 2, 2004 at 9:27 AM Post #20 of 55
I wonder if people think I am crazy when I "sing" Opeth in my car. I tell ya' I have got the higher piched screams down (end of "Blackwater Park"), but down low like the beginning of "Bleak", that stuff is hard.

Sep 2, 2004 at 3:55 PM Post #21 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
The new singer from Judas Priest (not Rob) is not nearly as good as Matt was. The first disc from The Glorious Burden is nothing special, but the Gettysburg song sounds like I will like it... just got the CD.

I don't like most of their new album, but I love Gettysburg! Go figure.

Sep 6, 2004 at 5:23 AM Post #23 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by raif

EDIT: if anyone has a good album suggestion for opeth that is more of a mix between the flowery damnation and satanic-speed-beat deliverence than the extremes presented in each, I would love to hear it.

Blackwater Park. Get it today.

Sep 7, 2004 at 1:42 PM Post #25 of 55
I didnt like Opeth's harsh vocals when I heard blackwater park the first time, but I liked some of damnination. Maybe I'll give them another try later.

Iced Earth f'in Kicks though. Saw them live (with ripper, not matt though
frown.gif
). Something Wicked Triliogy and Dante's Inferno are definatly some of their best. And Violate if you need some quick pump-up
biggrin.gif

Sep 7, 2004 at 10:01 PM Post #26 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by ditto_n
I didnt like Opeth's harsh vocals when I heard blackwater park the first time, but I liked some of damnination. Maybe I'll give them another try later.

Iced Earth f'in Kicks though. Saw them live (with ripper, not matt though
frown.gif
). Something Wicked Triliogy and Dante's Inferno are definatly some of their best. And Violate if you need some quick pump-up
biggrin.gif

Believe me, Opeth grows on you. It was the vocals that turned me off initially as well. Now, they are integral to the music. It will take a few run throughs, to fully appreciate it, but once you do you will have their entire catalogue.
600smile.gif

Oct 8, 2004 at 1:11 AM Post #27 of 55
Morningrise and Orchid are definitely the best of Opeth musically. There is really no comparison between those two and the rest of the music. They really need to revisit the dueling guitars.

Oct 8, 2004 at 1:18 AM Post #28 of 55
Interesting that this thread would be dragged back up. I am listening to Opeth's Deliverance right now. great stuff.

My good friend is a long time metalhead and he is absolutely floored that I would ever listen to this type of music. The good news is I now have access to their entire back catalog.

dunna-dunna-dunna-dunna-dunna

ggggrrrRRRROOOOOWWWLLLLL!!!!!!

rah-rah-rah-rah.... grrrRRRROOOOOWWWLLLLL!!!!

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2004 at 4:20 AM Post #29 of 55
Quote:

Interesting that this thread would be dragged back up. I am listening to Opeth's Deliverance right now. great stuff.

My good friend is a long time metalhead and he is absolutely floored that I would ever listen to this type of music. The good news is I now have access to their entire back catalog.

dunna-dunna-dunna-dunna-dunna

ggggrrrRRRROOOOOWWWLLLLL!!!!!!

rah-rah-rah-rah.... grrrRRRROOOOOWWWLLLLL!!!!

smily_headphones1.gif

It will only get better. Opeth is one of the only bands that I know of that never get boring after repeated playtime. Enjoy the ride
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 8, 2004 at 10:59 AM Post #30 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
My 80 min Opeth CD has:
1. The Moor
2. Bleak
3. The Drapery Falls
4. Blackwater Park (That song gets me so pumped!!!)
5. Deliverance
6. A Fair Judgement
7. Master's Apprentices

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacher
My track picks would be the following :
The Drapery Falls
Closure
White Cluster
A Fair Judgement
In My Time of Need
Face of Melinda
Blackwater Park

I found it really difficult discarding tracks in order to squeeze into the 80 minutes. I'd be perfectly happy with either of those two compilations above. Like DarkAngel said Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Actually from the first track of debut ORCHID to last track of album 6 DELIVERENCE I can't recall one weak track.

Quote:

The good news is I now have access to their entire back catalog.

I was really late on the scene with dark metal generally and it began with Opeth;I picked up Blackwater Park on a lark without knowing what it was (I liked the song titles & artwork) in January of 2003 and was floored. I also wasn't put off by the vocal style whatsoever,I loved it. Within three weeks I had the entire back catalogue and listened exclusively to Opeth daily for ten months.
I love being late and discovering these big back catalogues!
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back