Anyone know whereabouts of a pair of Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento?
Aug 25, 2007 at 4:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

didwlgh

500+ Head-Fier
I've been hit by a new bug....hifi.
evil_smiley.gif

I've been looking audiogon and other onlines forums for a month and a half now but i cant seem to find any used/demo pairs....anyone have leads or know local dealers who can help out?

so frustrating....=(

Advice much appreciated...!

Aug 30, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #3 of 14
The speakers seem to be too "new" as the review from Stereophile came out back in the end of July. I say it will take a good year or so to see demos or even a hope of used ones in Gon.

The issue with very high end Sonus Fabers, due to the price cost, there will be very few purchased, therefore, even fewer to be found in the used market. Perhaps you will have to do with some more affordable, but most important, available speakers until these Mementos ever show up.

Sep 1, 2007 at 12:19 AM Post #6 of 14
The price differential between Sonus in Europe and the US is almost 60%, which should not be the case especially with just 4% tariff rate. People are getting ripped royally, if you do not mind me saying. The worse in the entire scheme of things is that Sumiko is attempting to scare all those people who happen to get a pair second hand, by saying that they will not repair nor provide parts for any speakers that are proven to be grey goods, even if you pay for the parts. So, no Audiogon or anything, if something was ever to happen to your precious speakers. A--h--s.

Sep 1, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bemopti123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The price differential between Sonus in Europe and the US is almost 60%, which should not be the case especially with just 4% tariff rate. People are getting ripped royally, if you do not mind me saying. The worse in the entire scheme of things is that Sumiko is attempting to scare all those people who happen to get a pair second hand, by saying that they will not repair nor provide parts for any speakers that are proven to be grey goods, even if you pay for the parts. So, no Audiogon or anything, if something was ever to happen to your precious speakers. A--h--s.

I agree that Sumiko's markup and stance on this are shameful. But it's worked, and consequently you'll have a much harder time finding demo/used pairs then previously I fear. I don't see a problem concenring repair so long as you have a good dealer locally. I see NO reason why importers should be able to exert any control over the used market. McIntosh is IMO a great example of how companies should treat their used-gear customers.

best,

o

Sep 1, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #8 of 14
The most interesting thing about it was the large add that Sumiko has placed in Audiogon, stating their policy of not supporting grey goods, even if you paid for repair and the irony of it all, that Audiogon still gets paid to publicize items that are second hand, and perhaps grey good. hehehehe. They could careless about the paradox that this presents. Regardless of how tight they try to keep their distribution, there is always ways to go around it.
lambda.gif

Sep 1, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #9 of 14
wow..buying new SF is certainly not for the faint of heart, when was the last time you put $15k on your credit card?
k1000smile.gif

For the amount Sumiko wants for Guarneri Memento you can find better spkr that are more versatile with deeper bass. The last time I spent 2 hrs with a pair, I came away wishing for more bass and treble transparency. I have a pair of Harbeth M30, I don't think I gave up much in the sound wrt to the Guarneri. Now Amati is a different story, but at close to 2.5x the price of Guarneri, its waaay out of reach for me and my room
wink.gif

Have you considered Quad/ATC/Dynaudio/Harbeth/Focal Jmlab?

Sep 1, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #10 of 14
I am sure that there are other competing speakers for the same price range, but there is this wannagetit something about speakers and products such as the Guarneri Mementos that will have people pulling the trigger.

If rational is the menu of the day, before even attempting to get a pair, I would try the smaller, 5.5K ones, which can be found used for about 2-3K and see whether I really like the sound.

The Guarneri, even used, will not come to market very often or very soon.

Sep 1, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

I am sure that there are other competing speakers for the same price range, but there is this wannagetit something about speakers and products such as the Guarneri Mementos that will have people pulling the trigger.

If rational is the menu of the day, before even attempting to get a pair, I would try the smaller, 5.5K ones, which can be found used for about 2-3K and see whether I really like the sound.

The Guarneri, even used, will not come to market very often or very soon.

If you have the money get the Guarneri, the wife/gf-acceptance value is off the chart!
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 1, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have the money get the Guarneri, the wife/gf-acceptance value is off the chart!
evil_smiley.gif

To be a pair of standmounts, the entire assembly (+pedestals) is extraordinarily heavy. The pedestal seems to be of marble and the columns I am sure are of massive non resonant materials. I call them a sonic sculpture in all sense of the words.

I got not the $$$ to spend in such speakers now, but if I really count all the audio expenses that I have had since I got into the Hifi game, I am pretty sure I could have afforded such masterpieces.

Remember that I am answering a post and I am not the one looking for these speakers!
wink.gif

Sep 2, 2007 at 8:10 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Wow is this the same with REL too?

Sep 2, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #14 of 14
I imported a pair of standmounts made in the UK, but demos from a distributor in the Iberian peninsula (AKA: Spain.) Their cost is about 650 pounds=about $1300. In the US, the MSRP is about $1995. Do the calculations.

I paid $1305 delivered with all paperwork. Sure, demos, but these monitors are rather rare in the US, used or new. Not mentioning names to protect the dealer in question.

I am pretty sure that Sumiko, who distributes REL is in the same scheme of things. After all, they also do Sonus Faber for all those who have money to burn. It is amusing to read their attempts of squashing the second hand and grey goods market in the US for Sonus. Perhaps their sales are getting a dent from all the goods that flow, especially due to the NET.

Who can stop these sales starved dealers from unloading their used or demos to those who want them, especially if they are in the wealthiest market in the world?

There is very few products I have bought MSRP from any US dealers, unless they were exceptional (such as my DNA-225.) Anyone who is taking on this road of HIFI needs to understand the dealings that happens without them knowing.

Also, to hunt for HIFI, it would be useful to know another language, to navigate through the maze.

So far I been able to purchase or get parts from:

France, Germany, Spain...

Records:

Netherlands, Italy, Argentina, Brazil, UK etc...

If you do not want to pay the mark up for foreign products but are not able to go outside of the US distribution trap, then, one should concentrate on what is made domestically and in Canada. Believe me there is plenty that is awesome and pretty much underpriced, but for me, oh, I like things from exotic lands, some expensive, some affordable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back