Anyone know when this Thinkpad beast is coming out?
Feb 6, 2008 at 6:08 AM Post #16 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would never kill the Macbook Air. It's entirely too fast, has way to many useable ports, and is makes my ass look big.

-Ed

That's what on the minds of every Apple fanatic these days as they follow today's society laws of having to impress people with sleekness and not versatility.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 6, 2008 at 10:28 AM Post #17 of 54
I really, really can't wait for this. I find myself increasingly need something for taking notes and working on the go that can handle a beating, but isn't 50lbs either. This fits the bill beyond perfectly, while being able to handle a variety of other tasks as well.

Feb 6, 2008 at 11:32 AM Post #18 of 54
well my macbook pro has fallen in terrible ways 3x that i cannot imagine any laptop surviving, but i have not worked in it. by excellent construction perhaps i mean there is nothing really to break on the outside of the macbook pro for instance nor the air.

i like both companies. if i were to go for windows machine, it would be certainly the sony or lenovo as one looks good and the other is somewhat a nice business machine. but if i had the money i would go for the air. as it is, i am not in market for a long time.

Feb 6, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #19 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by brotherlen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is this going to be a macbook air killer?

Nope!
For one single reason, it don't run Mac OS X.
wink.gif

Feb 6, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #20 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope!
For one single reason, it don't run Mac OS X.
wink.gif

I'd rather have a rough diamond than a polished turd!

Although in this case, Vista is equally as polished as OS X.

And you're forgetting something else - it most certainly CAN run OS X. Any PC can (and many do).

Feb 6, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #21 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool, I'd take a Thinkpad over an Air any day. I'm one of the few people that actually dislikes the Apple designs and I prefer function over fashion.
wink.gif

I just want to know what the price tag will be on this thing.

Same here, on all counts.

Edit: Aren't Thinkpads Magnesium-Alloy? If so, I think they are actually technically stronger than the Macbooks, because the Mg-Alloy is supposed to be stronger than Aluminum. Not sure though, I've just seen people say that.

Also, I personally cannot stand OS X. I've had to use it a lot recently, and I just don't like it. Maybe that's because I've only ever used it on MBP's, but I don't know.

I do remember using Photoshop on OS X a few years ago (2004 - 2005?), and loving it much more than in Windows, but, I digress...

Feb 6, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #22 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And you're forgetting something else - it most certainly CAN run OS X. Any PC can (and many do).

Well, technically it can run Mac OS X.
But you need to hack Mac OS X to get it installed/running, and its illegal as well.
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 6, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #23 of 54
Quote:

But you need to hack Mac OS X to get it installed/running, and its illegal as well.
evil_smiley.gif

While I wouldn't personally do it, I doubt that fact keeps many people from running it. After all, 90% of the music out there is illegal too...

Feb 6, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #24 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edit: Aren't Thinkpads Magnesium-Alloy? If so, I think they are actually technically stronger than the Macbooks, because the Mg-Alloy is supposed to be stronger than Aluminum. Not sure though, I've just seen people say that.

ThinkPad shells are increasingly becoming made of CFRP (carbon-fibre reinforced polymer), a fantastically strong composite. Some of them are entirely CFRP, and some have Mg-alloy screenlids with CFRP bases. However, I believe that most, if not all, of the new TP models have Mg-alloy "roll cages" to provide support and protection for all of the internal components. I've seen photos of the roll-cages by themselves, and they look pretty cool.

Feb 6, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #25 of 54
osx is really good for a laptop's desktop and window management. vista can't really match the stuff you can do with xgl (unix) expose (osx). For full blown workstations osx is alot more limited imo.

Feb 8, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #28 of 54
If the $2700 price tag includes that 64GB SSD, then I would be all for it. I think the 64GB SSD alone costs like something like $1000. Imagine, no moving parts in your laptop, it will be really sweet!

Man, I wish I had not pulled the trigger on that T60p last year...

Feb 10, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #30 of 54
Quote:

evil_smiley.gif

I think there some sort of weird loophole in how it's stated that it has to be an "apple" branded computer, maybe you can just stick a mac logo on your rig, and your good to go? I've been debating over the hackentosh thing as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back