Anyone know when the next Chicago meet is? I want to see ZMF's full lineup
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 25, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #2 of 11
Bump! Would love to see this happen. There's Can Jam So Cal (LA) and NY but no Chicago! Third biggest city isn't good enough? 
frown.gif

Would love to know any meets happening in Chi too. 

Dec 25, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #3 of 11
There is a thread with Chicago meet notifications somewhere on Headfi. Don't have the time to find it now but should not be hard to find.

There are usually about 2 meets a year not including a headphone room at AXPONA. ZMF is at most of these and Zack is a great guy.

Jan 2, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #4 of 11
  Bump! Would love to see this happen. There's Can Jam So Cal (LA) and NY but no Chicago! Third biggest city isn't good enough? 
frown.gif

Would love to know any meets happening in Chi too. 

The people who throw Can Jam's do not like the Midwest.

At least I do not know how you could look at it any other way with costal cities getting more than 1 event a year, every year, and places outside the U.S. (London, Singapore) getting their 2nd and 3rd event.

I realize these events take allot of work and that certain cities and area's are probably better prepared than other's but that is also saying that there is people in Chicago, STL., Indy, Cincy, Nashville, K.C, Detroit that would not help and volunteer which I do not believe. If CanJam throws the event I'm 100% positive people will show up to volunteer.

Jan 2, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #5 of 11
Um, Jude lives in the Midwest. So I doubt dislike of the Midwest is the issue.

I think it is instead more due to the presence of a headphone area at AXPONA and twice a year meet ups in addition to that AXPONA room.

But those factors make for less of a need for Canjam these days.

Jan 14, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #6 of 11
Um, Jude lives in the Midwest. So I doubt dislike of the Midwest is the issue.

I think it is instead more due to the presence of a headphone area at AXPONA and twice a year meet ups in addition to that AXPONA room.

But those factors make for less of a need for Canjam these days.

Well my post has been up for 2 weeks now and he has yet to respond. I really doubt Jude has anything to do with CanJam's other than attending. Between operating Head-Fi, Making Video Reviews, Buying Guides, etc. I imagine he does 3 or 4 people's jobs already. Plus I see allot of 2009 organizer, 2012 organizer, etc next to other headfier's avatar's.

Axpona is for speakers. The headphone portion is worthless. I do not know how you can say the organizer's, even if it is Jude, do not like the Midwest or the South. To each his own but when Singapore and London get CanJam's it is really obvious.

Jan 14, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #7 of 11
What are you trying to get at? That secret CanJam cabal determined to deny the the Midwest what it deserves?

I cannot think of a single high end headphone or amp I've been interested in that I haven't been able to hear in Chicago over the past few years. KSE 1500? Check. Abyss? Check. Schiit top amp and DAC? Check. Stax electrostat cans and badass amplification for them? Yep. HE-1000? Check. Campfire IEMs? Check. Noble? Yup. JH? Uh-huh. Mr. Speaker's? Even the electrostat that's not in production? Oh yes. Dan was there himself. ZMF? Certainly. Have met Zack on more than one occasion. Great guy. And I've listened to these high E D headphones on more amps than I can keep track of.

Headphone room is a bit smaller than the CanJam area at RMAF when I was there. But I found it totally satisfactory. Discovered products I wasn't aware of and got to listen to 90% of what I was interested in.

So how is there a big need for a Canjam?

Jan 14, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #8 of 11

Well my post has been up for 2 weeks now and he has yet to respond. I really doubt Jude has anything to do with CanJam's other than attending. Between operating Head-Fi, Making Video Reviews, Buying Guides, etc. I imagine he does 3 or 4 people's jobs already. Plus I see allot of 2009 organizer, 2012 organizer, etc next to other headfier's avatar's.

Axpona is for speakers. The headphone portion is worthless. I do not know how you can say the organizer's, even if it is Jude, do not like the Midwest or the South. To each his own but when Singapore and London get CanJam's it is really obvious.

Hi @jibzilla, sorry for not seeing your message sooner. I've been traveling a bit (to say the least)--Tokyo for e-Earphone's Portafest event in December, then on holiday with family. Immediately after that, I rolled into Vegas for the annual International Association of Loudspeaker Manufacturing & Acoustics AISE convention (gave a talk), followed by CES (always a madhouse, but some cool stuff to talk about here, for sure), followed by a Focal event for its international distributors (I was there to give a brief presentation about headphones). I'm finally back home, and hope for no further travel until CanJam NYC, which I'm on the edge of my seat for (as I love New York).

Regarding AXPONA's headphone exhibition area: I haven't been to that show, so I can't give a personal testimonial--that said, I've heard nice things about it, so I can't imagine it's worthless. I really do want to go to check it out myself, as it's nice sometimes to just walk a show that you have no responsibilities for.

@third_eye (Ethan) is organizing our CanJam Global events full-time now, so I will definitely talk to him to find out about possibilities in the Midwest. For now, though, I've heard AXPONA's headphone audio exhibition is pretty cool.

Jan 14, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #9 of 11

Hi @jibzilla, sorry for not seeing your message sooner. I've been traveling a bit (to say the least)--Tokyo for e-Earphone's Portafest event in December, then on holiday with family. Immediately after that, I rolled into Vegas for the annual International Association of Loudspeaker Manufacturing & Acoustics AISE convention (gave a talk), followed by CES (always a madhouse, but some cool stuff to talk about here, for sure), followed by a Focal event for its international distributors (I was there to give a brief presentation about headphones). I'm finally back home, and hope for no further travel until CanJam NYC, which I'm on the edge of my seat for (as I love New York).

Regarding AXPONA's headphone exhibition area: I haven't been to that show, so I can't give a personal testimonial--that said, I've heard nice things about it, so I can't imagine it's worthless. I really do want to go to check it out myself, as it's nice sometimes to just walk a show that you have no responsibilities for.

@third_eye (Ethan) is organizing our CanJam Global events full-time now, so I will definitely talk to him to find out about possibilities in the Midwest. For now, though, I've heard AXPONA's headphone audio exhibition is pretty cool.

Axpona's Ear Gear room has come a long way from its first year. Still not nearly as comprehensive as CanJam. However, it is now a good destination. Plus, like RMAF, you get the rest of the larger 2 channel show.

Jan 15, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #10 of 11
What are you trying to get at? That secret CanJam cabal determined to deny the the Midwest what it deserves?

I cannot think of a single high end headphone or amp I've been interested in that I haven't been able to hear in Chicago over the past few years. KSE 1500? Check. Abyss? Check. Schiit top amp and DAC? Check. Stax electrostat cans and badass amplification for them? Yep. HE-1000? Check. Campfire IEMs? Check. Noble? Yup. JH? Uh-huh. Mr. Speaker's? Even the electrostat that's not in production? Oh yes. Dan was there himself. ZMF? Certainly. Have met Zack on more than one occasion. Great guy. And I've listened to these high E D headphones on more amps than I can keep track of.

Headphone room is a bit smaller than the CanJam area at RMAF when I was there. But I found it totally satisfactory. Discovered products I wasn't aware of and got to listen to 90% of what I was interested in.

So how is there a big need for a Canjam?

The last 10% is everything. Mostly vintage gear and one off items. R10's, K1000's, Original Omega, He-90, T-2, Pinnacle, SDS-XLR etc. As great as Chiunifi is I do not except to see those items ever. From what I have seen there is a chance at CanJam.

Jan 16, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #11 of 11
FYI, Next ChUniFi is on Jan 28 in case folks on this thread missed it: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/831337/chicago-area-headphone-meet-january-28th-2017-chiunifi

May be worth inquiring there about gear you are interested in hearing. Some folks have a lot of gear, so only end up bringing what folks have said they'd like to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back