Anyone know what planar magnetic headphone below $250 has the most bass?
Mar 23, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #16 of 43
Grado. Not planar but good for bass and runs on anything. If I were you I get something that looks good.
I don't know what Grado have you tried, but they are not exactly good for bass. They all have a big roll off in the subass, so unless you consider good bass to have certakn midbass punch, I can't see how a Grado could be a good basshead HP.

Best bass on planar for a budget would be the Verum 1 for me. Pretty much flat bass until 20 hz a great slam.

Mar 23, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #17 of 43
Have a pair of Drop Fostex TX0’s which I believe are a modded T50Rp MKII and yes nice bass and on the warm side but definitely will need a amp. The HE-5XX are not bright like Beyers at all and not a hint of sibilants.

Mar 23, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #18 of 43
IMHO, The V-MODA CROSSFADE, CROSSFADE 2 AND M100 wired and EQ'd correctly will give you the best bass and tight percussion from your phone. No amp needed at all. Well within your budget. I've had many $200-$300 HP'S come and go recently not one come even close to an EQ'd V-Moda in frequency range clarity and details. That includes The DT770'S. Wireless also if desired. Comes in a hard shell case.

20220323_140657.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #19 of 43
I don't know what Grado have you tried, but they are not exactly good for bass. They all have a big roll off in the subass, so unless you consider good bass to have certakn midbass punch, I can't see how a Grado could be a good basshead HP.

Best bass on planar for a budget would be the Verum 1 for me. Pretty much flat bass until 20 hz a great slam.
Need big amp with lots of current capability and you will get good sub bass. Get PS1 if you have the funds.

Mar 23, 2022 at 8:48 PM Post #20 of 43
HE-5XX out of the 20 HFM cans I have heard is tied for worst bass with the HE-5SE. Not much under 65 Hz. Lacks deep bass tone and impact.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #21 of 43
Need big amp with lots of current capability and you will get good sub bass. Get PS1 if you have the funds.
Grado do not do big deep bass. They can be quick, solid in mid bass and upper bass. But under 40 Hz? Nah

Mar 23, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #22 of 43
Again, I think you mean good midbass. And I think you are wrong if you think that any amp is gonna give you bass extension.
Grados are quite easy to drive and can run them from pretty much everything.
And even if you plug them in a powerful class A amp, you won't get bass extension if the headphone isn't capable of It. Only EQ can give you a bit of that.
Tried a bunch of Grados and no one them had subass and I could be wrong, but I think that the PS1 won't be a exception, plus it's rare and doesn't fit the budget of the guy who asked.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #23 of 43
Grado do not do big deep bass. They can be quick, solid in mid bass and upper bass. But under 40 Hz? Nah
EQ the mid bass hump, give it a lot current and you can get pretty decent sub bass performance. Not as deep as planar but very nice nevertheless.

Edit: okay I just dusted off PS500..You can definitely feel the sub bass, but I agree it's an order of magnitude diminished from LCD/HEK. Sigh..this is what happens when you don't visit your old stuff and going off of memory...my bad.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #24 of 43
HE-5XX out of the 20 HFM cans I have heard is tied for worst bass with the HE-5SE. Not much under 65 Hz. Lacks deep bass tone and impact.
Your opinion right ?

Mar 24, 2022 at 6:27 AM Post #26 of 43
Your opinion right ?
Seen the FR graphs for them? They back me up. Start to buckle at 75 Hz, big dive starts at 50 Hz. I'd say they are obviously deficient under 45 Hz. Given the price and the good bass performance in terms of speed and good tuning of what it does have, it's fine for what it is but does not belong in the category being discussed. It is also a bitter disappointment for fans of the HE-500 in the bass under 80 Hz.

Lots of pop/rock lives in the 60-350 Hz range. So that won't show it. Get a test recording that does 20, 40, 80 Hz (or similar) and put it up against a headphone known to be good in the lower bass. That should convince you. Also EQ won't get you there either (a bit but not enough).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220324-060050~2.png
    Screenshot_20220324-060050~2.png
    341.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022 at 8:25 AM Post #27 of 43
Why does it need to be planar magnetic? Are those better?
I'd say it's generally accepted - but there are certainly exceptions.

Mar 25, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #29 of 43
IMHO, The V-MODA CROSSFADE, CROSSFADE 2 AND M100 wired and EQ'd correctly will give you the best bass and tight percussion from your phone. No amp needed at all. Well within your budget. I've had many $200-$300 HP'S come and go recently not one come even close to an EQ'd V-Moda in frequency range clarity and details. That includes The DT770'S. Wireless also if desired. Comes in a hard shell case.

20220323_140657.jpg

Damn why didn't I think of that? Of course, V-Moda! Great looking cans in the picture there! Too bad she doesn't like white... So which one would you recommend between the Crossfade 1, 2 and M-100 as far as how they sound. I'm not looking for bluetooth, I know the M-100 fold very nicely into a small case. Is there a difference between the Master and the Shadow series?

Mar 25, 2022 at 9:58 PM Post #30 of 43
Damn why didn't I think of that? Of course, V-Moda! Great looking cans in the picture there! Too bad she doesn't like white... So which one would you recommend between the Crossfade 1, 2 and M-100 as far as how they sound. I'm not looking for bluetooth, I know the M-100 fold very nicely into a small case. Is there a difference between the Master and the Shadow series?
They all sound very similar. Both Crossfade 1 and 2 are wired and bluetooth is an added bonus. M-100 Master are no better from what I read (no bluetooth). The Crossfade 2 are still in production. Shadow is just a special color scheme. Stay away from the Lp. Nos Crossfade 1 would be the best value. But Crossfade 2 do fold nicely. They all have nice cases and very easy to drive. Good luck.20220322_202447.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back