Anyone know what planar magnetic headphone below $250 has the most bass?
Mar 21, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #2 of 43
Audeze Penrose maybe. It’s a bit out of the range but you wouldn’t need an amp.

Mar 21, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #4 of 43
i cant think of any cheap planars that are good for bass quantity imo.
would be better with a meze noir or meze neo if you want bass
This is a very good point. If she only wants to use a phone as a source, that’ll be the way to go. Planars when not properly amped will sound thin.

Mar 21, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #5 of 43
Birthday gift for sister who prefers bass to treble, really seems to narrow it down with the planars...

Thanks for your help :)
Grado. Not planar but good for bass and runs on anything. If I were you I get something that looks good.

Mar 21, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #6 of 43
For peanuts you can get a Hyperx cloud orbit on eBay which come with an amp and DAC and the closed back design and built in EQ profiles you can get some good bass out of them. The battery only lasts 6-8 hours per charge with a mobile device though.
The 1more triple driver ear buds are DT770 32 OHM would be better. Limiting choices based on planars and no amp is really asking a lot. They need current and a phone doesn't have it.
Sennheiser Momentum 2 headphones have quality bass and not just "one note" kind and go 22 or so hours per charge. The HE400SE will work fine on a phone but nothing special with bass. She has to pick if bass or planar is most important because with no amp it's going to get frustrating.

Mar 22, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #7 of 43
Thanks very much everyone for their input it's much appreciated. I'm sorry I should have mentioned I was going to throw in a CEntrance Dacport Slim to drive the headphones. It's a small 450mW dac/amp that really packs a lot of punch for its size. In fact it powers my Sundaras and HE560 V2s pretty well but I bought the iFi Zen stack for more headroom and versatility.

I just read a review on the Monoprice M570 that claimed they have a decent amount of bass, and they're a good looking headphone, this guy gave them a really good rating:
https://www.wired.com/review/monoprice-monolith-m570-headphones/

I had thought about the Beyerdynamic DT770 32 ohm, does it have decent bass and how is the soundstage? I was hoping to introduce her to the planars because of their wider soundstage as I feel it's something to behold. I know I really like them :)

I'm also will to buy used for something in very good condition.

Lastly, whatever happened to the "LIKE" button for posts?

Thanks again all !!

Mar 22, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #10 of 43
Not a fan of the 4XX but an owner. It doesn't do lower bass that well but to the untrained ear it sounds like it. It runs on my two ancient DAPS and my LG-40 Android.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #11 of 43
Have you checked out Monoprice Monolith M1060/C? These are planar and have strong bass IMO. I think they can be found for or just north of $250.
Yes I have thanks, I'm a little afraid they might be too heavy for her though. She's a bit of a small person so I thought maybe the M565C would suit her a little better, or the M570 if their bass is prominent enough.

These Andover PM-50's are looking like a good deal for $199, hell I might pick up a set for myself! :ksc75smile:.

Mar 23, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #13 of 43
I hear ya, the M1060 are decent fit but they are heavy. Also, I can't use them without EQ as I find them too harsh.
Thanks I'm still thinking of those. I also heard someone talking about the Beyer DT770 and having a decent amount of bass and a wide soundstage, which is what I'm looking for. I know it's not a planar but if it sounds like one, not crazy about the attached cable though... :beyersmile:

Mar 23, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #14 of 43
Thanks I'm still thinking of those. I also heard someone talking about the Beyer DT770 and having a decent amount of bass and a wide soundstage, which is what I'm looking for. I know it's not a planar but if it sounds like one, not crazy about the attached cable though... :beyersmile:
The DT 770’s do have a bit of bass but they are also a bit bright on the top end also. I tried the 1060’s a few years ago and returned them as another poster said they were a bit harsh on the top end and I found the bass a bit muddled and not as tight as other planars.
Though not a planar and too bad Drop doesn’t have them in stock and hasn’t for quite a while but the Meze 99 Noirs would be another to look at as they sold for $200 .They do not lack bass at all and though not as tight as most planars but still to me better than the 1060’s and also pretty nice mids and the highs are rolled off a bit so no harshness at all.
A planar in your price range with decent bass but not overwhelming is the Drop HE-5XX it shares a lot of the tonality of the Sundara’s but the Sundara’s do it a bit better and probably would need a amp not something crazy just a bit more than say the Apple USB-C dongle.

Mar 23, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #15 of 43
The DT 770’s do have a bit of bass but they are also a bit bright on the top end also. I tried the 1060’s a few years ago and returned them as another poster said they were a bit harsh on the top end and I found the bass a bit muddled and not as tight as other planars.
Though not a planar and too bad Drop doesn’t have them in stock and hasn’t for quite a while but the Meze 99 Noirs would be another to look at as they sold for $200 .They do not lack bass at all and though not as tight as most planars but still to me better than the 1060’s and also pretty nice mids and the highs are rolled off a bit so no harshness at all.
A planar in your price range with decent bass but not overwhelming is the Drop HE-5XX it shares a lot of the tonality of the Sundara’s but the Sundara’s do it a bit better and probably would need a amp not something crazy just a bit more than say the Apple USB-C dongle.
Thanks for the info and I'll look into those, funny I was under the impression the 5XX leaned toward the high side.

Any thoughts on the Fostex T50RP MK III or the Shure SRH840?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back