Anyone know of any high-quality all-6sn7 tube amps?
Oct 7, 2010 at 2:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

bdh

500+ Head-Fier
I know several SinglePower amps can do 6sn7 inputs and 6sn7 outputs.  And my question comes due to the increadible music I heard out of the Maestro-based amp with the correct(!) matching of 6sn7 tubes in it - some of the most emotional music I've ever heard.  I never could get the MPX3 to sound very good with a 6sn7 or 7n7 as an input, and I tried many different combinations and varieties.

Oct 11, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #3 of 4
Oct 11, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #4 of 4
Its the only one.

Its how I would have built the singlepower (MPX3/Supra/Maestro)XLR amps. The overall design is "kind of sort of" like an SP, and at the same time nothing at all like one. I took the parts of the circuit that I liked (pretty much the output stage and the B+ voltage regulator), and replaced the parts I didnt like (the gain stage, and some little parts of the output stage) with parts that made the whole thing work better. 

It still sounds pretty much like a singlepower. I wasnt sure if that was the sound you were after or not. 

Im not familiar with any other all 6SN7 amps besides the SP. The EAR/yoshino HP4 is kind of close, and has awesome tone, but uses 6SL7. There were a few hybrids using 6SN7 for gain, and SS for outputs. If you can find one the stacker 2 sounded outstanding when I got to listen to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back