Anyone know of a weatherproof mini jack?
Mar 10, 2005 at 7:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Darwin022

100+ Head-Fier
I'm going to be doing a little... project... soon and I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a weather-proof/water-proof/storm-proof 1/8" stereo mini jack.

I feel bad about drilling my Zero Halliburton laptop case, so I'm going to get a little Pelican case for my ipod and amp. I want to be able to plug my headphones into it with it closed. The kicker is, I want it to be water tight when the ear phones aren't plugged in.

Thanks!

Mar 10, 2005 at 7:42 PM Post #2 of 15
I know there is available a snap-down cover for full size phone jacks to act as an "environmental seal" and I have used them but I have never seen a mini-jack cover.Maybe go with full size and then use a short 1/4-to-1/8 adapter of six inches or so

Mar 10, 2005 at 7:52 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
I know there is available a snap-down cover for full size phone jacks to act as an "environmental seal" and I have used them but I have never seen a mini-jack cover.Maybe go with full size and then use a short 1/4-to-1/8 adapter of six inches or so

I REALLY don't want to get back into the 1/4" to 1/8" adapters again... that's one reason I did a 1/8" on my Grados when I re-wired them.

Mar 10, 2005 at 7:58 PM Post #4 of 15
then your only other option would be DIY man.

I think with a little imagination and some ingenuity you can whip something up that is as simple as a small plastic cap that just pops on and off.would be a real bitch to keep from losing it due to size but even here maybe a simple wire loop on both the jack and the cover may in the end be the answer.

use your imagination man !

Mar 10, 2005 at 8:00 PM Post #5 of 15
DUUUH !

I don't know where my brain went but the simplistic solution is the "blind" plug man !

no more than a mini-plug with the end sealed up that you plug in for when you are not using it and just pop it out and plug in the real plug when you are.

the simple solutions are always the best dude.Overthinking a problem usually means overcomplicationg it and that means more that can go wrong.

Rick

Mar 10, 2005 at 8:07 PM Post #6 of 15
I would think it'd be possible to find a threaded cap for the switchcraft 1/8" jacks that Tangent recommends. That should get you a pretty tight seal. You could probably even get it made.

HTH,

Nate

Mar 10, 2005 at 8:24 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
I would think it'd be possible to find a threaded cap for the switchcraft 1/8" jacks that Tangent recommends. That should get you a pretty tight seal. You could probably even get it made.

HTH,

Nate

I like this idea.

The "blind plug" would technically work, but I don't know if I'd trust it to be very water tight.

Thanks guys
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 10, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #8 of 15
why does it have to be a 1/8" jack?

if you use other connectors, there are totally waterproof ones. you can find 4-im strip types for not a lot of money...

edit:

a gm tps connector can be gotten at napa, and is reasonably watertight. it has a 3-pin configuration.

think outside the box
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 10, 2005 at 8:47 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod
why does it have to be a 1/8" jack?

if you use other connectors, there are totally waterproof ones. you can find 4-im strip types for not a lot of money...

edit:

a gm tps connector can be gotten at napa, and is reasonably watertight. it has a 3-pin configuration.

think outside the box
smily_headphones1.gif

Because I'm putting my ipod and Supermacro amp inside the Pelican 1050 case and I want to be able to plug my etys into it with it closed. When not in use, it needs to be water tight (either via a plug or whatnot). I'm not about to re-wire my etys; and I don't want to use an adapter.

Doesn't have to be a jack, as long as it can attach through the Pelican case, accept the 1/8" stereo mini, and of course be water tight when not in use.

Mar 10, 2005 at 9:26 PM Post #10 of 15
how bout this.... you have a cable/interconect lead that goes throught the case and has a 1/8" female on the outside of the case. It would be much easier to really seal the case around the cable than anything else, I would think. The only issue you then have is the female end that may aquire watter and maybe cause a conductive short or something? I don't know... it's another angle i guess.

OR... what if the 1/8" jack was counter sunk into the case. then you could use an epoxy or something and fill the space around the jack itself (filling the hole the jack is in and not the jack itself) then letting it dry into a rubber plug. It would be larger than a plug for the jack and easier to manage, and I think you could make it totally sealed to the elements.

Mar 10, 2005 at 10:01 PM Post #11 of 15
i would think that if you made a threaded cap it would be your best bet, if you want to go all out you can include a silicon plug inside the threaded cap aswell as a black rubber washer. with that setup it would be totally weather ressistant

Mar 11, 2005 at 8:03 PM Post #12 of 15
You could use a 1/8 extension cable. Use glue to seal it where it leaves the case. Otherwise the switchcraft socket should work well, but make sure and gluegun the pins it after you solder it. The pins aren't water tight.

Mar 11, 2005 at 10:17 PM Post #13 of 15
what in the world do you need a water proof jack for?

Mar 12, 2005 at 7:26 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROTAK

I am in the process of building a set up for my jacuzzi

pelican case,sr-71,pcdp, all in one waterproof set up so I can jump in my jacuzzi this summer.

last year I had a clone in one, but this year I am going better...

I have been talking about this since last year, search my name and jacuzzi...

you can see last years setup pics without the case...

Mar 13, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROTAK

why not? I'm building a case for my rig out of a pelican case since it's everything I want (though not pocket sized). Why sacrifice one of the 2 main reasons for getting a pelican case?
see:
- crush proof (virtually)
- water proof (and floats with up to 1.5lbs of gear in it)

the main reason I don't want to keep everything in my Zero Halliburton (and why I want an external jack on the pelican... is because when you have a nice tight seal on a case, you'll slice your headphone wires off the first time you try to close it with them hanging through....

I like the idea of not having to worry about liquids ruining my stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back