Anyone Know Of A Super Cheap Headphone Amp?
Aug 6, 2016 at 1:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

StarTreker

500+ Head-Fier
I own the JVC HA-SZ1000-E headphones, they are real bass cannons, sound amazing. However, to power them to their max, I know that I need a headphone amp. I am aware that the Fiio E12 is probably the best portable amp, but its like a 100 dollar amp, thats a lot to pay for portable. I won't really ever be using these cans in a portable function, they will primarily always be used as a home media center monitor. Can anyone recommend a desktop amp for 50 or under that is worth a darn?

I've seen lots of Chinese amps for sale on Ebay that are dirt cheap, some tube some not. IDK if I would be into a tube amp though, cause if a tube goes out, then I gotta hunt down a replacement, and afterall, we haven't really needed tubes since transistors were invented, so ya
rolleyes.gif

Aug 6, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #2 of 5
Those JVC's have pretty good sensitivity. You don't need much to get them really loud.

Get the A3. Also portable, but cheaper. Plenty to drive those headphones to hearing loss inducing levels, I kid you not. You could easily damage your hearing.

Aug 6, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #3 of 5
Those JVC's have pretty good sensitivity. You don't need much to get them really loud.

Get the A3. Also portable, but cheaper. Plenty to drive those headphones to hearing loss inducing levels, I kid you not. You could easily damage your hearing.

Thankyou for the awesome tip dude, appreciate it! Its funny that you mentioned hearing loss too, cause I was just on the health and safety page on this site regarding hearing, its amazing how much information got posted. It actually got me freaked out so much I had to have my hearing tested on many different test your hearing websites lol. Turns out I got excellent hearing yet, so that means I must have been doing something right in the past protecting my hearing, just gotta be careful not to turn the A3 up too loud lol.

Aug 6, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #4 of 5
Since you like bass, one thing I will point out about these portable amps that Fiio has is that they have a built in bass boost to play with.

BTW: What kind of smartphone do you have (make/model)? You said you won't be using these in portable mode. But sometimes it's nice to be able to go in another room or sit outside the house on a nice day and listen to your headphones. Many flagship headphones have really good sound quality. If you have one that has good audio and hook the A3 up to it, you'll be really impressed by the sound :)

Aug 6, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #5 of 5
When you first recommended the A3, I thought it was that tiny square pocket size one, I guess I was thinking of the A1. When I saw the A3 on Amazon, I was like, dude, thats as big if not bigger then the E12! And considering its got volume, plus H/L and BASS switches, it otta get the bass real loud, oh yeah!
darthsmile.gif

So I ordered the A3 here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MFMW29I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And I wanted a quality charging cable to power it, so I am not draining the battery. I've read a lot of posts about interference heard when plugging into a computer USB port, so I will actually be plugging this unit into a real wall powered 5-port USB charger from Anker.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AKDBUPA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BTW, what is with USB cables now days? Back in the day if you bought a USB cable, the sucker would last forever. Now days you gotta be careful what you buy, cause a lot of reviews are talking about cables dying within 2 weeks to a year, its like What? And forget them reversable cables, thats a gimick that just ends in the connector bending from what I understand, gees.
eek.gif

I own the Alcatel One Touch Pop Icon Android Smart Phone

BTW, your advice on listening to these bass cannon outside on a nice day actually sounds nice. At least I will have the benifit of knowing that I have the best headphones in the neighborhood, oh ya, hear that bass, its getting lower, can you handle it?
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back