Anyone know of a portable powerful headphone amp 1W+
Aug 20, 2018 at 12:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

moby1974

100+ Head-Fier
Hi
I am after a portable headphone amp, ideal been 1W+ into 70ohm.

The only one I know of is the ifi idsd audio micro black, that can do 1.6W into 64ohm, but its £600 and half the stuff on it is of no real use for me.

Are there any others that are mainstream (know some random ones were made as kits but not around anymore or not in UK)

thanks

Aug 20, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #3 of 6
Fiio A5 and Cayin C5 are 800mw into 32ohm, and I think that's the closest I'm aware of.

Hi
I have the Cayin C5 lol and I know of the E12 been 850mw.

There is nothing Else I can find portable wise, the ifi idsd black is just overkill, its great power wise but I dont need the other stuff, to pay £600 is not worth it, I can by a great dac/amp desktop and have change.

Aug 20, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #4 of 6
I mean, making a good amp and making it portable is going to cost more, and on top of that, the market for people who need to put that much power into headphones on the go is quite small even relative to the already niche market of people who want portable amps in the first place.

The upcoming iFi xCAN may do 1 watt, but probably not into 70 ohms.

If the Micro BL is too expensive for you, then the Analog Squared Paper TUR-08 at over $2,000 US and 2kg in weight is not going to appeal, I'm guessing. : )

Maybe look for a used iBasso PB2? Or, for that matter, a used non-BL iFi Micro?

Aug 20, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #5 of 6
I mean, making a good amp and making it portable is going to cost more, and on top of that, the market for people who need to put that much power into headphones on the go is quite small even relative to the already niche market of people who want portable amps in the first place.

The upcoming iFi xCAN may do 1 watt, but probably not into 70 ohms.

If the Micro BL is too expensive for you, then the Analog Squared Paper TUR-08 at over $2,000 US and 2kg in weight is not going to appeal, I'm guessing. : )

Maybe look for a used iBasso PB2? Or, for that matter, a used non-BL iFi Micro?

Hi
Not so much the ifi price, just don't see the pointy if I will not use half of the features.

iBasso PB2 is a good call, 2.5W, but in UK its nowhere to be found and discontinued, they are on with PB3 which oddly enough has a huge drop in power.

A5 is 880mz in 32ohm, that seems top so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back