Anyone know how much a replacement HD-650 driver costs?
Apr 15, 2006 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

saturnine

Headphoneus Supremus
I was cleaning out my HD-650 today, and noticed that there is a tiny cut in the film over the left driver. I never noticed any distortion or degraded sound before, but I put on a bass heavy track and there was a little crackling. Sounded almost like a blown subwoofer. The HD-650 replacement drivers are not listed on Sennheiser's site, anyone know how much I would expect to pay for one? I of course emailed their customer support, but they are most likely off on vacation for the weekend. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
I was cleaning out my HD-650 today, and noticed that there is a tiny cut in the film over the left driver. I never noticed any distortion or degraded sound before, but I put on a bass heavy track and there was a little crackling. Sounded almost like a blown subwoofer. The HD-650 replacement drivers are not listed on Sennheiser's site, anyone know how much I would expect to pay for one? I of course emailed their customer support, but they are most likely off on vacation for the weekend. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Ok - this is just a total guess, but I'd imagine that if you were to just order a new driver, it wouldn't necessarily match your good one within Sennheiser's stated tolerances.. That may or may not be noticeable.

But you may want to consider sending them in for repair instead. I imagine they would choose a matched driver.

Anyone know for sure?

Apr 15, 2006 at 10:57 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by nightfire
Ok - this is just a total guess, but I'd imagine that if you were to just order a new driver, it wouldn't necessarily match your good one within Sennheiser's stated tolerances.. That may or may not be noticeable.

But you may want to consider sending them in for repair instead. I imagine they would choose a matched driver.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing too, so I posted a WTB in the FS/FT. Senn charges quite a bit for out of warranty service, so I'd rather do the repairs myself. It's insane that drivers for a $2000+ headphone (L3000) are $50, but drivers for a <$500 headphone are more.

I was selling these, but if the cost to repair is too high I'll just keep them like they are. They don't sound bad unless listening to bass heavy music, and most of what I listen to with them is acoustic & jazz. Good thing I caught the damage before a concrete deal was made..

Apr 16, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #5 of 5
Man, want a pain to find that on such a nice can. Hope you can get it fixed inexpensively enough so you can sell them. Heck you may want to sell them by further discounting them, but that would mean a major $ loss to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back