Anyone know anything about Zenith 6EW7 tubes?--Now with photos
Feb 26, 2009 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

pyramid6

100+ Head-Fier
I got some RCA and Zenith 6EW7 power tubes for my WA6. Does anyone know anything about the Zenith tubes? Are the Zenith tubes made by someone else? I haven't seen anyone mention Zenith tubes in any of the tube rolling threads. Both the RCA and Zenith are fatter than the GE's that came with the amp.

I'll post some impression after they burn in for a bit.

Thanks

Edit: Here are photos:

2009_02_26_18_10_58_23.jpg

2009_02_26_18_53_29_29.jpg

Feb 27, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AFAIK, Zenith tubes were made by Sylvania.

Zenith never made tubes. Zenith was a rebrander and the tubes could have been made by just about any US manufacturer that made 6EW7s.

Feb 27, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #5 of 7
There's some info on Zenith tubes here Vacuum Tubes for Amps - Tube Mfgr Codes. The manufacturer's code should identify the tube, assuming the code is there, or legible.

EDIT: It looks like the code might be the 343 running down the center of the tube in your picture. Oddly enough, that's the Zenith code, but supposedly applies to CRT tubes... (The numbers given in the discussion linked above seem to be wrong, actually: 337 is Westinghouse, not Zenith.) Commonly Seen EIA Codes

Feb 27, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gvvt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's some info on Zenith tubes here Vacuum Tubes for Amps - Tube Mfgr Codes. The manufacturer's code should identify the tube, assuming the code is there, or legible.

EDIT: It looks like the code might be the 343 running down the center of the tube in your picture. Oddly enough, that's the Zenith code, but supposedly applies to CRT tubes... (The numbers given in the discussion linked above seem to be wrong, actually: 337 is Westinghouse, not Zenith.) Commonly Seen EIA Codes

The codes may not tell you much of anything. Most rebranders added their code when they had the tube printed. If a Zenith branded tube has a Zenith code what does that tell you .... since we know Zenith didnt make tubes. Now if you find another manufacturers code on the tube .... bingo. However, you really need a good supply of the tube type you can look through to get some understanding of who made what.

Feb 28, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #7 of 7
sacd lover,

you're right, of course. Complete lapse of logic on my part. Sorry for going off half-cocked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back