Anyone know anything about this reciever?
Apr 21, 2012 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

orangedrink888

New Head-Fier
Found my dad's old receiver that use to be our main stereo when I was growing up. Didn't know he still had it... Anyone have info on it? How it sounds, etc.? I haven't had a chance to really test it yet. Just plugged it in to see if it turns on.

Apr 21, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #3 of 7
Awesome find. Go to the marantz subforum on audio karma. If you find that there is starchyness when turning knobs or odd behavior with the output when moving the knobs or buttons look up the dioxit guide.

Old units are known to have dirty pots and buttons.

Apr 21, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #4 of 7
My 2235b is still going strong after buying it used in the mid 70's. They were highly rated in the day and are built like tanks.The headphone output will be the typical series resistor variety which is not ideal. I imagine you will have to clean the controls.

Apr 23, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for the tips guys!!! Ok had some time to test it and looks like all buttons work perfectly. Only issue I found with it is that the left speaker output is very staticky or cuts out. Sound coming out of it is not clear. If I plug the same speaker in the other right speaker output (there are 2 left outputs and 2 right outputs) it works perfectly fine. So it's not a speaker issue. Not sure where to start in fixing it or getting it fixed. Going to see what else I can crop up on repairing that part.

But I have to say, this thing sounds amazing!
dt880smile.png
Now to find the turn table that my dad had with it... 

Apr 23, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #7 of 7
That happened to my Pioneer SX-40, and it was a dirty relay. That's something to check. But, since this was in storage, I'd highly recommend getting a can of deoxit and doing a thorough cleaning. I did on all my receivers, and they turned out great. No static in any of the knobs or switches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back