anyone know anything about this receiver?
Jan 21, 2005 at 6:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

tsplash75

100+ Head-Fier
sony str-av720

it's a late 80's model and a friend of mine is offering it to me for a case of beer.

everything works as far as he knows..

is it worth it's weight to use as a pre amp?

Jan 21, 2005 at 7:05 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

is it worth it's weight to use as a pre amp?

If you're using it to connect it to a power amp, make sure the receiver has pre-out jacks.

Looking at the model number, it should be one of Sony's higher-end models in its regular line. Most likely made in Japan. I am still using a Sony TA-AX520 integrated amp from 1987 in my other system....still sounds great after almost 20 years.

Jan 21, 2005 at 6:21 PM Post #3 of 8
hmm.. thanks for the reply.

anyone else have anything to add?

Jan 21, 2005 at 6:26 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by tsplash75
a friend of mine is offering it to me for a case of beer.

What kind of beer?
blink.gif

Jan 21, 2005 at 6:34 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyMan
What kind of beer?
blink.gif

i think he wants red stripe, but he's getting alexander keith's.

Jan 21, 2005 at 11:41 PM Post #7 of 8
i just noticed the same thing in those pics.. crappy.

would the video out/tape out work as a pre-out, if i drove my source thru their inputs? i would assume it would, but any type of reassurance would be good. haha..

this does, however, do nothing for my intended purpose of the unit by bringing a couple of my sources together.

Jan 26, 2005 at 10:17 AM Post #8 of 8
pre-outs and tape-outs ain't the same thing. By using the the receivers tape-out, volume control on the unit does absolutely nothing. However if you intend to use it as selector for multiple sources in example for a heaphoneamp, it'll do.

You can use the tape-outs to connect to a poweramp but this would be the same as connecting a cdp to poweramp directly. You'd have no control over the volume (assuming there's no volumecontrol on the cdp) and the outcome would be very loud sound, in worst case distortion or damage to the poweramp & speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back