Anyone know anything about this headphone...?
Jul 9, 2002 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

JJDyn0mite

100+ Head-Fier
Out of curiosity, I put in a bid for some interesting looking headphones on ebay, the Sennheiser HD 540 Reference Gold. They have gold plated trim and come in a pretty wooden box. Earpads were pleather and I basically had to remove all the pleather junk cause it was flaky. Here is a link to a pic: http://imagehost.auctionwatch.com/bi...eadphones1.jpg

They came today and are very interesting indeed. They appear to have been made in 1987 and came with the original owners manual, warranty card (I think the 2 year warranty has expired), and a certificate with the serial number and Dr. J. Sennheiser's signature stamped on it. Pretty complete package, I'd say...

The cans are plastic with a pleather/vinyl appearing headband with the model and serial number again stamped on it in gold. They are circumaural with a gold band between the earpads and the earcup. They are open headphones with horizontal open lines forming a grill on the outer earcups, there is gold foil material inside the grill. Other than the gold plating everywhere, they seem cheaply constructed of plastic and are fairly light, though comfortable to wear. The 3 meter cord connects to both earpieces (removable) and is rather thin, terminating in a 1/4" gold plated plug with a nice golden "spring" at the cord's entrance to the plug to keep it from bending too acutely.

Anyway, I'm curious about the history behind these. I haven't yet heard them as I don't have any source/amp with a 1/4" jack and I don't think I have anything that can really drive them anyway, here are the tech specs from the manual:

Frequency response: 16 to 32,000 Hz
Rated Impedance: 600 Ohms!
Sensitivity: 94 dB
Weight (without cable): 250 g

I could be wrong, but that seems like a pretty high impedance...

So, if you have any comments or knowledge about these cans, please let me know. When I get a chance to actually hear them, I will report back, though my ears are not finely tuned as those of an audiophile. I can at least compare them to V6 and HP890. I also hope to take more pics soon.

Jul 9, 2002 at 9:02 PM Post #2 of 9
I don't know anything about them...they do look nice though. What you might want to do is call headroom and arrange to ship you headphones to them to have them measured. (you could even have your own frequency response charts made for them)

Jul 9, 2002 at 10:13 PM Post #3 of 9
nice buy jj

i don't know anything about these..but i like the box....
ray
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2002 at 1:23 AM Post #4 of 9
May I ask how much you paid for them? They look really nice!

Jul 10, 2002 at 1:46 AM Post #6 of 9
600 ohms is about as high as headphones typically get. AKG makes 600 ohm headphones, as do beyerdynamic and (I think) sennheiser.

Oct 6, 2002 at 5:22 PM Post #7 of 9
I just got a pair of Sennheiser HD-540 from a friend who kept them unused. In fact, they look so new as if they were bought yesterday
smily_headphones1.gif
The difference with the model presented above is that they are not "gold" (but just "reference") and they have 300 ohms impedance (clearly stamped on them).

Anybody knowing more (that would be actually easy
wink.gif
) on these Sennheiser HD-540 reference "gold" / not "gold", 600 ohms / 300 ohms?

By the way, they just sound GREAT! I might be wrong, but I believe they were the top model of Sennheiser some time ago.

Oct 6, 2002 at 9:17 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by JJDyn0mite
Here's the auction.

It ended up just under $50 after shipping.

More pics coming soon.

JJ

Holy Moly!! That is a kickass price for such an awesome box!! And it even includes headphones that could be a real find!! Let us know soon!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back