Anyone know anything about this acer 20.1" laptop?
Jul 11, 2007 at 1:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

CaseJ

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Guys,
Well i was thinking about either building a computer or buying a laptop and i stumbled upon this acer latop with a 20.1" screen but the crazy thing is i can't find any reviews on it, is that bad? What do you guys think of it, here is a link
http://global.acer.com/products/notebook/as9800.htm#

Jul 11, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #3 of 10
i bet it would be a whole lot cheaper to buy... say a 15" laptop and use your savings to get a external 22" lcd monitor. And you can still reserve the right to be portable.

Jul 11, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #4 of 10
Its a beast to move... some person from another forum I know has one and there are better 20" options... its graphics are underpowered and Acer has horrific support (he actually got it after like a few months as a replacement for his broken laptop)

Check out
www.xoticpc.com
www.powernotebooks.com

Both have great reseller ratings (look them up on the site they have links from themselves too) and they sell notebooks that are also sold by companies like HP and Dell but have great service because they are small companies (Basically companies like Compal Quanta and Clevo Make laptops for companies and they sell those same laptops unmarked (ODM) to the small sellers

They have some great laptops... Also keep in mind when you use a laptop it will be at half the distance as your screen I was a nerd and calculated it out once and its seems like a 50% larger screen from half arms length/lap to full arms length (so 17=23/24 and a 20=30" but 30" screens have much higher resolutions so it might look bad)

The acer is rather expensive over 2kUSD if not 2.5k USD if memory serves me right

You can get a very fast notebook for that

I would go with a 17" maybe with a 7950gtx check out sager models on xoticpc for notebooks with that card... I wouldn't go 20" because you can get a higher resolution with a 17" pc

Or if you want to get direct x 10 get a compal ifl90 with the 8600gt because that is what dell is putting in their 17 inch "entertainment" non xps laptop

Another option is the coming up Asus C90 which if you have the skill to install components yourself and put heatsinks on you buy the chassis with graphics, dvd drive, screen, motherboard, etc.
You then put in a desktop processor and all of the other components and as new cards come out for the mxm slot it has you can replace its graphics card it is highly upgradeable and will last you a good long time

Jul 11, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

The Aspire 9800 is an extra-large 20.1" WXSGA+ / 19" WXGA+ widescreen notebook outfitted with the latest features for extreme gaming, entertainment, and multitasking. Featuring Intel® Centrino® Duo mobile technology, spectacular NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 7600 graphics, Acer CrystalBrite™ technology, up to 240 GB SATA dual hard disk drives, and an integrated Acer BasSonic subwoofer with Dolby®1 Digital Live and DTS CONNECT™ support featuring DTS INTERACTIVE and DTS NEO:pC™ technologies2, the Aspire 9800 takes you way beyond the notebook norm!

Should run pretty decently with 2gb of RAM, but it wont be so smooth if you're using the highest setup. GeForce 7 series will only support up to DX9 btw so if you're also looking for a setup to play upcoming games like Crysis(!!!!), again, you won't see the whole HD gaming experience.
Not quite sure why you're insisting on the 20" as well...

Jul 11, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #8 of 10
If you want a 20" so bad check out the sager 20" sli notebook.. It has a whole lot more juice for the money

http://www.xoticpc.com/product_info....oducts_id/1633

You are stuck with an AMD processor but you can have some serious extra graphics grunt with this..

Maybe consider a 17" with a 20-22" display at home so you can just plug it in...

I am somewhat guiding you away from acer because I have heard bad experiences with them... It also isnt the strongest notebook abuse wise though most notebooks aren't

I am not sure how good you can run games at that res you might push bf2
1900 3dmarks in 3dmark06 is about what your card scores so you might push bf2 at medium settings max or maybe have to go lower... its sort of an underpowered card..

There is also a soon to be released hp notebook 20" which scores upwards of 3500 points based on the card it has... you might want to check that out

2gb of ram is a must though after market installing is cheaper...

Jul 11, 2007 at 11:18 AM Post #9 of 10
I saw one in France last time I was over there, it's enormous! It does look very nice but I'd still take a 20" desktop any day - you get better reliability, you can repair it yourself and you get more bang for your buck.

Jul 11, 2007 at 11:45 AM Post #10 of 10
The go7600 in that Acer is equivalent to the mobility radeon x1600 in my 15.4'' notebook which tends the to be most powerful gpu in that form factor. At 17'' and above, I'd be expecting a 7900gs or x1800 at least. Personally, I'd go for something smaller with a dx10 gpu and buy an external monitor.

That Acer will run BF2 but you definitely won't want to be playing at native resolution.

Head over to www.notebookreview.com if you want some good recommendations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back