Anyone Know Anything About the Sony D-131 Discman
Dec 5, 2001 at 6:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

grrr223

All I want for Christmas is Radio Shack Cat.#910-4380
I just bought one on e-bay.

So, I left the ac adapter for my discman at my desk at my summer internship when I left
frown.gif
. Since batteries are getting pretty expensive for the damned thing, and I'm usually sitting near an outlet on campus when I'm using it, I thought I'd buy a new one. So, I went to e-bay first. I found one for $.01 so all I'd have to pay was shipping, and then I found another one that was actually a sale for a discman that includes the ac adapeter that I needed, so I figured, hey, what the hell?

So, what I'm wondering is if anyone knows any of the specs for it, like watts/channel or if it sounds good. I guess I just want to find out if it was worth it to get the discman with the adapter, or if I should have just stuck with the one for $.01?

Dec 5, 2001 at 8:35 PM Post #2 of 4
Hi grrr223,

Im sorry to day that its not very good sounding
smily_headphones1.gif

the headphone out is terrible and the line out isnt much better.

I have one
biggrin.gif

I didnt expect much when I bougt it about 7 odd years ago hehe
It was one of sony's cheapest models.

Dec 9, 2001 at 8:01 AM Post #3 of 4
On the contrary, I love my D-131. I think it has a 15mw output on the line-out, and it drives my Grados quite well on the headphone out (without an amp). This is my only portable source, and the only gripe I have is that it, like the other Sony's I've auditioned, doesn't have the ability to correct CD scratch skips as well as Panasonics. Also, this unit does not have any shock-protection anti-skip mechanism, which is great for when you're working or moving a lot.

Jul 30, 2006 at 1:16 PM Post #4 of 4
Today I bought a functioning D-131 from a local street stall in APliu Street, Hong Kong for a song.

I got home and immediately, I compared it to my trust D303 bought since 1993. For line-out, I connected the output to my Marantz 2240B and got the output form its phones output jack.

The D131 sounds even better when compared to A Panasonic SL-XP170, also a lowly model that has no ESP that nonetheless has MASH. Against, the D-303, this D-131 had me put off my AKG81DJ immediately when listening to any song during the test session.

I looked back now at my test ession today, I had to listen to the D-131 again to give it justice it might have deserved. Ok the phone out is better than the D-303 due to that notorious distortion from the D-303. But from the line-out, the D-131 had no life in it, meaning that I found the trebles were severely muted, and the timbre of female vocals was much lifeless either, given that the K81DJ is already a very forgiving pair of 'phones on any aspect of the sound. If a board member Duncan, who has that huge SOny test report here, once said that there was an actual player that had him listen through a whole CD, then the D-131 was actually one that had me stop listening to it over any one track. OK I admit, I stopped it because I had to hear what difference there might be on the D-303, not that the D-131 had any coherent problem with it. It just had that "there must be something more to the music" thing that got me stop there. The D-303 just gave all, it always seems.

Then agian, I had to use my ER4P with a DIY 75 ohm/side cable to listen to it agian. As you might know, the ER4 series is revealing on both the good details and the bad. The result confirmed my previous impressions. Again, the D-131 was decidedly dark and then the lower end was lacking entension to the deepest notes. The Saint-Saens Symphony No 3 Organ (SF Sym Orch/Edo de Waart/Philips/DDD recording) did show the hall effect on the D-131. And here the overall tone was not that displeasing. The D-131 had a huge line-out level and should easily drive any portable amp. Its phone output was much weaker than its line out. But then going to the trouble of using a P/Amp is missing the point about using the D-131, right?

So I think that the D-131 would mak an excellent entry point for prople seeking vintage PCDPs for s start. I am no advanced geek here but I woul hesitate to sell the D-131 out any time. It's a keeper for me.

In all, the D131 is not bad, but is quite dark-sounding. SOmeone might like it for what it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back