Anyone know any good PDA's, Handhelds, or Pocket PC's I want to get my dad one.
Jul 31, 2007 at 5:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

bigizzy75

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Head-fi,y

I know its not audio related but I was wondering if any of you knew about PDA's or Pocket PC's that you have had good experiances with. I'm trying to find one for my dad because I want to help him get more organized (less paper work on hand) so I think a handheld would be a good solution for one.

Thanks in advance,

bigizzy75

Jul 31, 2007 at 6:01 AM Post #2 of 15
For Windows Mobile, the Dell Axim X50/X51 line is unbeatable.

For Palm OS 5, the Tungsten TX is a good choice.

If your dad is not technologically oriented, these might not be for him... some people find electronic organizing more frustrating than paper organizing.

EDIT: Those are the more expensive choices. For a cheap choice (just datebook, contact list and basic organizer, the Zire 22 might be a good choice for simplicity. And I mean simplicity. It's very simple.

Jul 31, 2007 at 6:33 AM Post #3 of 15
I'll second roastpuff's recommendations. I use an Axim X50 and my father used to use a Tungsten C (now my sister's), and the two of us loved both devices.

Jul 31, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #4 of 15
Yea I know.....but I really need my dad to move up with technology, I know his effciency can improve if he can find his files faster. I'll be working with him and showing him 101 with the device, I just found out Palm doesn't work with Windows, so if it can be a Windows OS preferiably, Thanks again

Jul 31, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #6 of 15
You're welcome... and I don't quite get what you meant that Palm doesn't work with Windows. Palm Desktop is a Win32 application to begin with, and there's a lot of programs bundled that help with compatibility with stuff like Office.

Jul 31, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #7 of 15
If your dad is into electronics, I'd look at getting a PDA/phone. I couldn't stand having to carry my Axim x51v AND my cellphone everywhere. More often then not, I'd leave my axim home, and it got to the point, where I wasn't using it effectively. I got a Treo 700wx, and am MUCH happier.

Jul 31, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #9 of 15
I just want to throw my 2 cents out there... I sold PDAs and cell phones for a few years during the PDA hay day.

I noticed during that time that a PDA was a tough thing to buy someone primarily because of the way they need to be used in order to work. Essentially your father would have to trust the PDA with every bit of information he needs tracked. You can't really use it "halfway" since then you're stuck carrying your old organizer and the PDA at the same time. The problem with that is, people find it difficult to get past the month of learning curve required before they can input data as fast as they want. Not to mention the amount of time it takes to get your information in it the first time. (another hint... input stuff into a computer and sync it to the PDA for the initial setup for phone numbers and existing calendar entries).

PDAs are kind of going away nowadays due to Smartphones. A cell phone you carry around anyway, so it's easier to adapt to having your organizer functions on there and not on a separate device. That and no one wants to carry around more things than they have to.

If you're going to buy him a PDA, I'd recommend seeing how he feels about it first. The last thing you want is for him to let it sit in a drawer after playing with it for a month.

Jul 31, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #10 of 15
Yeah, a PDA-phone is more useful than just a plain PDA.

I actually have two for sale - a Sony Ericcsson W950 and a O2 XDA Neo... if interested give me a shout.

Jul 31, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #11 of 15
agreed -- smartphone is the way to go. i was using a treo 700w but found it too heavy to carry around. i just switched to a motorola q and am psyched with it!

Aug 1, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #13 of 15
Hmm.... I really never thought of a PDA/phone.

You guys have a really good point about talking to him about it first. Its really true that his habits may or may not be suitable for a PDA.

Thanks again,

bigizzy75

Aug 3, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #14 of 15
Dell x51v if you dont need a phone.
I have a samsung i730 because it has a phone.
also have a toshiba e805, that has a better screen than dell, but its bigger and older.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back