Oct 6, 2004 at 7:05 PM Post #16 of 24
got mine after taking the nw-e75 back for exchange
loaded 235 cd's 250 mp3's 14 gigs worth all at 132kbps
sounds great headphones are sennheiser pmx 60's
vol set at about 40%
small small small
very happy

Oct 6, 2004 at 8:14 PM Post #17 of 24
Got my NW-HD1 last week, and totally love it. I come from Minidisc and was a bit scared aout possible loss of sound quality, but I fully concur with doomlordis that if you record a CD at 256kps Atrac3+ the sound quality is very near that of the original.

btw, I fully agree that the device should have been MP3 compatible, but with the given fact that it isn't I actually don't think it is that big of a issue. As already mentioned the software included is intuitive to use and fully automatic : you just point it to your music folder and it'll convert everything in there, even if it's in subfolders. Extensive music libraries may take a day or so to convert, but since the software doesn't adsorb much of your computer's resources you can leave it running in the background while you keep using your computer as normal. Like many I was a bit PO'd when I found out the HD-1 wasn't going to be compatible with MP3, but I think the ease and quality of the included software made it a bit of a non-issue in the end.

doomlordis, I don't know if there are software differences as well, but there definitely are different boxings since the Euro/U.S. versions don't come with a remote control whereas the Japanese release does. This was actually my biggest beef with the device : coming from MD I am really used to this luxury and it not being included while there is provision for it (and as being mentioned is even included in the Japanese release) is poor IMO. granted, you can find the remote separately on the net (bought one myself), but having to shell out another $60+ on something that should have been included in the first place........grumble. The included earphones aren't worth much either btw......although I can't really blame Sony since I hear the ipod earphones aren't too good either.

That said, the last two points are just nitpicks I had to get of my chest.....the design is stunning (it doesn't have the cheap plastic looks of the ipod and, erm....looks more manly to me ) the PC software and user interface on the device itself are very good, the battery life is even more stunning than the design (rest assure, even @256kps you'll get easily through the day prodeek) and sound quality is very good. I gave ipod or netMD serious thought as well before I purchased the HD1, but I haven't given them a second thought since!

Oct 7, 2004 at 3:24 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by TTC
(it doesn't have the cheap plastic looks of the ipod and, erm....looks more manly to me )

Why is this forum full of sissy men who are afraid of being thought to be somehow feminine?
580smile.gif

Oct 7, 2004 at 3:58 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Latexxx
Why is this forum full of sissy men who are afraid of being thought to be somehow feminine?

I bet your the sort of guy who wears lemon shirts and crys.

Oct 7, 2004 at 4:11 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by doomlordis
I bet your the sort of guy who wears lemon shirts and crys.

I must admit that I have a pink ruler, but that's all.

Oct 7, 2004 at 6:40 PM Post #21 of 24
I saw one today, its smaller, lighter and has a nicer screen than my NH900, i almost cried.....

then I had an image of him dragging his PC to a gig to record and download it, and all was well again......

though i supose thats one way of getting around DRM
biggrin.gif

Oct 7, 2004 at 10:35 PM Post #22 of 24
Latexxx, others, hope I didn't offend. It's just that somehow it seems to me like the ipod is specifically styled to be more attractive to women (but hey, what do I know, right?). That doesn't mean however I think there is anything wrong or "sissy-like" about a man owning a pod or even liking its design.
orphsmile.gif

The overriding factor for me liking the HD1 better is that obviously great care has been taken to make it a modern, fashionable design which combined with the materials used (brushed metal or alu, not sure) makes it look like the $450 device it really is.

Oct 8, 2004 at 9:15 AM Post #23 of 24
I for one don't think the iPods look cheap. I like just how uncluttered and clean they are (something Sony has never been and may never be).

I don't think the iPod is a feminine (or sissy) thing, at its worst it's just an "artsy" industrial design. People make these bar-of-soap comparisons, but they don't give up their Ivory soaps for fear of acting gay, do they?
eggosmile.gif
Give it a rest folks - it's starting to sound like a reflection of your inferiority complex, and that's where it all cease to be civilized.

To bring the post back on topic... the HD1 uses a 0.5mm magnesium alloy in a bathtub-style construction... made possible by Hitachi Metals, who also did "press forging" casings for Sony MDPs from 1999 on. Here's a press release in English.
http://www.hitachi-metals.co.jp/e/pr...2004/n1001.htm

Oct 9, 2004 at 2:58 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish Tank X
30 hours is with 48k/s ATRAC 3 plus, the battery decreases linearly as you go up the compression ladder. So 256K/s would probably knock you down to 10 or so.

That's what I thought at first, but after I test it out myself, I believe Sony actually rate their battery life with 90% honesty. (which is already better than most of other companies, including Apple.) Even with my constant playing around with the player (play, stop, FF, RW, skip, search, manual, ...etc.) I still managed to get 18 hrs with 256kb/s tracks.
smily_headphones1.gif
(Sony Japan website lists 30 hrs with 48k/s, 28 hrs with 64k/s, 20 hrs with 256k/s)

With 3G iPod (with was rated 8 hr battery life) the only way I can achieve that is let it plays continuously without touching anything. Everytime I try to skip tracks, go to manual, or search thru the playlist, the battery decreases to less than 6 hrs (sometimes 4~5 hrs!)
mad.gif

I haven't done the test on 132kb/s but looks like other people on this forum got 22-24 hrs out of it. If that's so, then it is really good. Although a lot of less informed people dislike ATRAC3+ (don't even bother with 48 or 64kb/s since they are only for voice recording), 132kb/s (LP mode) actually is a very good balance between sound quality and battery life, especailly if you are traveling or on the road or in other less than ideal listening environment, and can't find any power outlet to recharge. That's when you'll appreciate the 132kb/s and it's battery life.
smily_headphones1.gif

For those who can still hear the difference of sound quality of 132kb/s and CD on a plane/bus/subway, well, first, good for you. You are really something.
etysmile.gif
Second, good for you still, now you get to have 256kb/s and that should satisfy you.

Hopefully, I'll get a chance to test ATRAC3 256kb/s + Ety ER6i on the plane soon. I am looking forward to do a review on that, unless someone beats me to it.
biggrin.gif
If 256kb/s + Ety can handle in that kind of noisy environment, it should be no problem elsewhere.

P.S. for those who don't listen to or charge their portable players every day or two, Sony has a little dirty secret to prevent constant power drain to prolong their battery life. There's a switch on HD1, which you can switch off to physically disconnect the battery from the player to conserve the battery life.
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back