Anyone into Tangerine Dream or Brian Eno?
Dec 17, 2005 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

zeno333

Head-Fier
I just picked up Tangerine Dream's "Rubycon" and Brian Eno's "Another Green World", both originally released in 1975. Great albums, they are both in the "Electronic Progressive" Genre....Rubycon is a great one to just fall asleep to....my favorite track on Eno's "Another Green World" is his "Everything Merges With the Night". Rubycon was a UK import. Both CDs are from the Virgin label.

Dec 17, 2005 at 2:27 PM Post #2 of 11
sorry i dont know too much about brian eno but my highschool teacher introduced me to him and i heard some of his music. i liked the track called 'aragon'. the more moody tracks, over the uplifting one. i ought to buy some of his music. is there any of his album that is more about laid back sound?

i think he worked with robert fripp in some project in the 70s also. also i think he has a brother who plays folk/classical?

Dec 17, 2005 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 11
Both very good. Eno is a true student of music and a pioneer of musical production. Here Come the Warm Jets is good if you're into Another Green World. His more mellow works are good also. You really have to reach into his catalog to find the music you like the. One of my favorite productions by Brian Eno is U2 - The Joshua Tree. Also, Fripp + Eno - No Puss.yfooting ("." inserted into title since the term for: "treading carefully like a scared cat" is censored here).

Tangerine Dream has a very distinct style that has proven to hold up. Ricochet, Atem, Exit and "Thief" Soundtrack are all excellent albums. Also their live albums are worth checking out.

Dig a little more and you'll discover Klaus Schulze who was on Tangerine Dream's first album, Electronic Meditation. He soon left and set his own path with electronic music. His live albums are something else. Pete Namlook (Peter Kuhlmann) is a newer artist who has worked with Schulze often and has his own world of music produced.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, I loooove analogue synthesizers.

Dec 28, 2005 at 12:51 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeno333
I just picked up Tangerine Dream's "Rubycon" and Brian Eno's "Another Green World", both originally released in 1975. Great albums, they are both in the "Electronic Progressive" Genre....Rubycon is a great one to just fall asleep to....my favorite track on Eno's "Another Green World" is his "Everything Merges With the Night". Rubycon was a UK import. Both CDs are from the Virgin label.

If you like Another Green World, then you may look for other tuneful short instrumental pieces (as opposed to longer, full-blown ambient pieces) by Eno: e.g the Harold Budd collabs (The Pearl;The Plateaux of Mirror) , and the Music For Films volumes.

Also look out for a collection of quasi-classical rendition of Eno Pieces by the Italian musician Arturo Stalteri (The title of the album is CoolAugustMoon). While not every piece on that album is a success, the music is at least heartfelt and beautiful. In his hands, "Another Green World" becomes a Roger-Eno-esque wistful waltz.

Dec 29, 2005 at 5:19 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
sorry i dont know too much about brian eno but my highschool teacher introduced me to him and i heard some of his music. i liked the track called 'aragon'. the more moody tracks, over the uplifting one. i ought to buy some of his music. is there any of his album that is more about laid back sound?

i think he worked with robert fripp in some project in the 70s also. also i think he has a brother who plays folk/classical?

for moody, laid back eno (aka "ambient" in the true sense):
thursday afternoon
apollo
ambient 4 on land
music for airports
neroli
shutov assembly

there is also the enobox set of ambients. but most of the above is available on sacd/cd dutch remasters (i got mine at tower).

Dec 31, 2005 at 1:59 AM Post #7 of 11
The TD album closest in style to Rubycon is Phaedra -- both are long-form ambient journeys recorded near the same period.

Albums after the 74-75 periods tend to contain shorter, more rhythmic pieces. A shinning gem in that period is the Poland live set -- pure chillout bliss.

Most TD fans do not like what they've been doing in the 90s (too poppy, too pappy). I'm no TD expert, so my advice is to avoid anything beyond the early-90s.

Also worth looking for are several early albums by Vangelis, such as Soil Festivities and Heaven and Hell

For full-blown ambient Eno: the two starting points IMHO are Ambient 4 -- On Land and The Shutov Assembly (my first Eno, BTE). These albums are polar extremes: On Land is bleak, loney yet in some ways warm and cozy; The Shutov Assembly is bright-coloured to the point of gaudiness.

Jan 9, 2006 at 1:16 PM Post #8 of 11
As far as Tangerine Dream and "Berlin School" music goes, there's been a revival of sorts. Check out www.synthmusicdirect.com. Tangerine Dream went through a number of periods and is still recording today, albeit, more along the lines of modern electronic. The band members have changed quite a few times as well.

Some great bands that have taken the Phaedra/Rubycon era stuff to the Nth degree are Airsculpture, Redshift, Radio Massacre International, Node, Free System Projekt, & others. The Beyond EM Yahoo list will introduce you to more.

I would definitely grab Redshift's Ether and Airsculpture's Thunderhead if you want to know more.

I could never get into Klaus Schulze. Too much mindless noodling. YMMV.

Jan 9, 2006 at 1:49 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by AintLDS
I could never get into Klaus Schulze. Too much mindless noodling. YMMV.

Same here. I started with his 2CD best-of set. Nothing. If anything I was annoyed by the liner notes penned by his manager. Then I happened upon "X", reputably one of his better takes. Still nothing.

Jan 9, 2006 at 5:13 PM Post #10 of 11
I've been collecting Eno since the early 80s and have tons of oddball stuff on vinyl (including Eno's own test pressing of Ambient 4 with his notes on the plain sleeve & inscribed to me) and CD. He's one of my faves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back