Anyone interested in the subgenre of Shoegaze?
Apr 7, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #49 of 67
A Sunny Day in Glasgow can be a bit all over the place at times, but much of that is spent in some shoegaze turf.  A bit of Lush, some MBV and a few others thrown in for measures. This is from Ashes Grammar.

Apr 28, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #50 of 67
Seems to be some confusion over what shoegaze is. Here's a hint: if the band is jumping around the stage, rocking out, it ain't shoegaze. Essential characteristics of shoegaze are introversion (those child-like voices) and transcendent noise (but without the orientalism or overt druginess of psychedelia). Jesus & Mary Chain were a vital influence, but I'd say they precede the distinct genre. Going back, you could also include the Velvet Underground.

There is indeed an ongoing scene, though I haven't followed it as I mostly listen to classical now. I recall an Australia band called Sounds Like Sunset who were good live and had a decent first album (long out of print).

My favourite group is Lush, thought they only really fit this genre in some of the early EPs (see Gala compilation) and first album Spooky (if you only wanted one shoegaze album I would say this is THE ONE to get). There is talk that 4ad will reissue their albums remastered and with extras, but nothing has emerged yet.
Slowdive get hyped but I felt they went downhill after the first three EPs. I blame the drugs, frankly. Anyway, those EPs come on the bonus CD of the first album (2 disc version), except song "Catch the breeze' has been moved over to the album.

For metal fans, an interesting listen would be Katatonia's 2nd album Brave Murder Day. Musically it's obviously very influenced by those early Slowdive EPs, but with death-style vocals by Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth. Sadly the CD version I have seems to be from the unmodified vinyl master, so I have to turn the treble way down to compensate.

Apr 28, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #52 of 67
I'm a huge drooling fan of Catherine Wheel.
The only reason I can forgive Rob Dickinson for giving up on the band is the beautiful things he's doing with Porsches these days.
FWIW, his solo effort "Fresh Wine for the Horses" is worth a spin.

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #53 of 67
Nothing are one of my favorite recent discoveries. They have more moments of rocking out than I typically associate with shoegaze -proper but if you're into the music this thread is bringing up, you should dig. Their new album is Guilty of Everything

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/1nVkqyDxros[/VIDEO]

Edit: just read back and saw someone else brought them up already....they're worth mentioning again

May 12, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #54 of 67
just pulled my copy of M83's Before The Dawn Heals us out of the archives and fell in love all over again.also recently rediscovered Zegunder's 2004 gem 'Distant Birds? Thought They Were Leaves' which is perhaps more downtempo electronica than shoegaze,or actually a mixture of both genres.lovely stuff no matter how you classify it.
smily_headphones1.gif

also to hear Zegunder (highly recommended for any fans of Múm and/or Ulrich Schnauss) here is a link.sadly they only made the two albums before disappearing ('Tumbleweeds' in 2003 and 'Distant Birds? Thought They Were Leaves...' in 2004)
https://soundcloud.com/tags/zegunder

May 19, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #55 of 67
I picked up a cheap set of 5 Ride albums (4 proper albums plus B-sides & remixes), over the weekend listened to the last two albums, which I'd never heard before. Wow. This is terrible. Maybe the band was in an accident and all suffered terrible brain damage? Whereas their earlier music was distinctive and original, now they are doing a mediocre Stones rip-off.

May 23, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #56 of 67

Thought i would bring in some other language

.....I am well aware that this is NOT a shoegaze band.....(to be honest i really don't know what genre this could be - info would be appreciated)

This band is not too well known and are very strict about recording during their performances, so there is absolutely no footage on the web.
Relating to a post above, they also hardly move during gigs.

I really love this woman's voice....(there are not many voices that give me goosebumps..)

May 24, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #57 of 67
It's very pop and not very dreamy. Not my style. Don't love it or hate it, but it boarders the side of hate for me. No goose bumps to report. I may like other stuff of theirs, even though I find her voice not beautiful or sexy like some other pop music. They are mild-strange in their choice of instruments, but I'm not blown away. I listened to it twice so I tried.

May 24, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #58 of 67
It's very pop and not very dreamy. Not my style. Don't love it or hate it, but it boarders the side of hate for me. No goose bumps to report. I may like other stuff of theirs, even though I find her voice not beautiful or sexy like some other pop music. They are mild-strange in their choice of instruments, but I'm not blown away. I listened to it twice so I tried.

Don't blame you...J-Pop, especially this particular band can be an acquired taste.
Especially her voice isn't sexy, but artificial and very childish (and therefore dreamy). There is one track where she sounds quite ASMRish and in combination with my SR325is this produces goosebumps for me.

But everybody has different tastes...thats good...
beerchug.gif

Drop suggestions any time...

May 26, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #60 of 67
For me, the best headphones for shoegazing would be something with a warm low end, clear but non-fatiguing upper mids and highs, and good detail/separation throughout - which means it's gotta have a fast driver.  This is because I don't want wall-of-noise distortion, but rather distortion that is full of texture and harmonics.  Along these lines, something like the recently released MrSpeakers Mad Dog Pro would do fine.

Oh, and my standard test track for how well a headphone would do with shoegazing is The Concept by Teenage Fanclub from their Bandwagonesque album:

Hope that helps! 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back