Anyone intending on buying the Portaphile V2?
Feb 24, 2005 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

TooNice

500+ Head-Fier
Its out next week, and the budget is right for me. And from what I've read on the beta version, it seems quite promising.

Still, I would like to see a review, preferably from someone who has heard other top end portable amps (SR71/Supermacro/Gilmore Lite). At its price, I wouldn't expect it to beat the top portable amps, but if it can come near, than I would save a lot of money by taking that path...

Feb 28, 2005 at 10:05 PM Post #2 of 52
First batch is sold, I wonder if a buyer is one of the members here
wink.gif

(lil bump as I am eager to find out if someone here might be able to review when it gets shipped
biggrin.gif
)

Mar 1, 2005 at 1:30 AM Post #3 of 52
I bought one. As you said, it's supposed to ship this week... I have a set of MDR-CD3000s and Shure E2s, and am using an iPod or my AV710/Foobar 2000 as a source. We'll see how it goes.

Mar 1, 2005 at 2:44 AM Post #4 of 52
I have one coming from the first batch. Did you see Romanee's meet impressions of the beta unit? In there he compared it to the SuperMacro (standard model... 8610?) and SR-71. IHO it bested the SM and came close to the SR-71.

EDIT: I'm using an EMU 0404 as a source and Ety ER4P. Have not listened to any other amps. I'm fairly new to this stuff.

Mar 1, 2005 at 5:29 AM Post #5 of 52
Quote:

In there he compared it to the SuperMacro (standard model... 8610?) and SR-71. IHO it bested the SM and came close to the SR-71

The standard model was an opa134 (opa227 now). It's hard to compare anything to the SM because it can sound very different depending on how you configure it. To say that something sounds better than a standard supermacro doesn't really say much, because the amp sounds much, much better with an opa637, imo.

Mar 1, 2005 at 8:55 AM Post #6 of 52
Yea, I read that, but I figured I'd wait for a few more impressions.

I am realistic enough not to expect an amp outperforming another twice the price (e.g. Portaphile V2 is half the price of the SM with a few recommended config). But if a number of people agree that it is close to the SR-71, than it says a lot IMO, considering that the amp is less than half the price of the SR-71 (or maybe around half the price with the backplate).

Mar 1, 2005 at 10:02 AM Post #7 of 52
From what I gather the only people who have heard the beta were at that meet; there are a few comments in its corresponding thread, but what Romanee wrote was the closest you'd find to a review. Guess we'll have to wait for people to get the first production batch next week.

Mar 2, 2005 at 5:20 AM Post #8 of 52
Quote:

Guess we'll have to wait for people to get the first production batch next week

It looks like he may be raising the price a little because of the upgraded capacitors. Good thing I'm in with the first batch !!
orphsmile.gif

Quote:

But if a number of people agree that it is close to the SR-71, than it says a lot IMO, considering that the amp is less than half the price of the SR-71 (or maybe around half the price with the backplate).

I think it's completely subjective. I've read several posts saying that tthe Supermacro is close to SR-71. I couldn't disagree more. The two amps are very different. The sr71 is completely neutral sounding-- it doesn't add warmth or brightness to the sound. Supermacro isn't neutral-- it adds its own characteristic to the sound depending on the configuration you chose (opamps, buffers, etc).

The reason for the sr71's "blackness" and clarity is due to its amazing control over the sound. Musical notes that come out seems to get sucked and disappear in just the right amount of time, so that you end up with a clearer image. Because of this clarity, different instruments then starts to separate themselves and you start noticing each instruments individually, rather than as a monolithic noise-making group.

The sr71 sounds "dry" because of this speed and blackness. The Supermacro doesn't have this dry characteristic. This isn't to say that the sr71 is better than the supermacro-- some people may not like the 'dry' sound of the sr71. But since the sr71 is neutral sounding, it pretty much works with most if not all headphones you plug into it. Whereas when I had the supermacro with the opa134 installed, it wasn't a good match with my sennheiser since it makes the sound much darker, losing detail.

Mar 2, 2005 at 7:26 AM Post #9 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
It looks like he may be raising the price a little because of the upgraded capacitors. Good thing I'm in with the first batch !!
orphsmile.gif

I think it's completely subjective. I've read several posts saying that tthe Supermacro is close to SR-71. I couldn't disagree more. The two amps are very different. The sr71 is completely neutral sounding-- it doesn't add warmth or brightness to the sound. Supermacro isn't neutral-- it adds its own characteristic to the sound depending on the configuration you chose (opamps, buffers, etc).

The reason for the sr71's "blackness" and clarity is due to its amazing control over the sound. Musical notes that come out seems to get sucked and disappear in just the right amount of time, so that you end up with a clearer image. Because of this clarity, different instruments then starts to separate themselves and you start noticing each instruments individually, rather than as a monolithic noise-making group.

The sr71 sounds "dry" because of this speed and blackness. The Supermacro doesn't have this dry characteristic. This isn't to say that the sr71 is better than the supermacro-- some people may not like the 'dry' sound of the sr71. But since the sr71 is neutral sounding, it pretty much works with most if not all headphones you plug into it. Whereas when I had the supermacro with the opa134 installed, it wasn't a good match with my sennheiser since it makes the sound much darker, losing detail.

Preface: Sorry I'm still at work (1:50am EST!) and really exhausted. I'll do my best to relate some things about the Portaphile V2 (beta), and forgive me if my post isn't finely honed or terribly cohesive.

I'm in agreement with and can't improve on atx's comments above. Sorry in advance for the wordy post -- I'm trying to clarify here some of my impressions about three amps.

I haven't posted much about the Portaphile V2 lately because I've been listening to a couple of different beta versions of the Portaphile V2, and they are not final production versions -- they've been works in progress. The SM we had available at and since the Jan. 30 NYC meet at immtbiker's place (I've referred to that SM as "standard" in various threads) is slightly above standard, having 2xAD8610 and 2xBUF634 soldered on board. I have not as yet been able to audition the SM with all options and a range of opamps -- which I hope to be able to do reasonably soon, to hear what it's capable of, and I can only comment on this unit (I heard a different at the big November NYC meet and that had its own problems which I've heard were addressed immediately after). We've also heard the SM through a few sources and headphones and not through some of the popular ones discussed lately, such the various IEMs, Senns...

Neither the SM nor the Portaphile V2 is "close to the SR-71" IMO. To my ears, the SR-71 is the best portable available to date and in certain respects no other portable comes close. I won't go much farther until I've gotten hold of a maxed-out SM with a wide range of opamps, as well as a few other amps I'm waiting for. I will say I feel that the SR-71 is unparalleled in superfine detail, nuances, subtle overtones and harmonics, low-level dynamics, "air", beautifully balanced/integrated left-to-right soundstage front, placement and definition of performers, timbral "rightness", frequency spectrum that's smooth and balanced from top to bottom, speed and intricacy (it doesn't miss a lick, so to speak). And of course the build, finish and feel makes it the Bentley of mini amps (for lack of a better analogy at the moment). I have experienced the highs being a little much on some recordings, but still -- after hearing any other amp, I switch to the SR-71 and feel "Ahhhhhhh". So much air, such smooth, sweet inner detail, such ease, etc. On some music I've felt the SR-71 didn't have the oomph, impact and energy I'd like to have heard -- which other amps do better. I can't go point-for-point now on what various amps do better or worse with different music, sources, phones, listening environments...

The SM (2x8610) we heard, and that I've been listening to nearly every day, along with the SR-71, in comparing with not just the Portaphile V2 betas, but several other amps -- I have found to have a somewhat compressed frequency spectrum, very little soundstage depth or image dimension, slightly rolled off at times both at the top and bottom (very surprising for 8610s!), missing a lot information in fast or low-level passages, timbre and body of many instruments is off the mark, noticeable lack of air, dynamics, and energy compared to the SR-71 and Portaphile V2 beta. Overall disappointing from what I would have expected from its configuration. I will say, though it seems odd after that -- if I didn't have other amps at hand for comparison, it is a quiet amp, and very pleasant to listen to, with some music. I could enjoy listening to it -- except when I'm in comparative auditioning mode. With some music it's been too frustrating, knowing what musical information the SM is missing. And more often than not, for enjoyment I keep reaching for either the SR-71 or the V2. (No discussion here of larger amps.)

What the Portaphile V2 beta has offered (remember it is not a production unit and various adjustments have been made since this unit) is great dynamics, a big open sound with beautiful timbral presentation, a lively and very engaging sound that is very musical and fun to listen to. I have spent many hours comparing a wide selection of musical recordings, listerally phrase by phrase -- hearing the V2, SM, SR-71, Super Mini Moy, PC MkII, CIAudio VHP-1, ANT Amber, Coda/Overture starting tomorrow, and more I won't mention now. I've been waiting awhile for a Gilmore Lite and a WNA MkII, which I hope to receive sometime soon -- so of course I can't comment on those amps yet. I've gotten down to auditioning the 3 prime mini amps (SR-71/V2/SM) with very finite passages by the numbers, and have often found the Portaphile close to SR-71 in nuance, detail and timbre -- though not the same, and the beta is still lacking the super clarity and sweetness of some high/fast passages as well as the super black background.

There are, however, many phones we have not heard with this amp, and I just don't currently have the resources to hear and review many of the phones headfiers have been asking about. Sorry.

All told, if (and it's an if I can't answer yet) the production V2 matches your system, it's a great value for its price/size class. Where it might give SR-71 a run is in musicality, impact, liveliness and involvement in the performances and in the musical exerience. We'll see. Everyone knows a prototype is not a production unit. I hope the final version is even better. BTW -- the beta version had the new 3 opamp topology -- 2x8610 for L&R and 8610 in the ground channel, with 2 Nichicon Muse KZ 1000uf caps (2000uf total). As far as I know at this time, there will be no socketed option, no crossfeed, no gain switch. It will have a DC back option, but no built-in charging. It's not the Swiss Army Knife that the SM is and has no bells and whistles. It's nice to have adjustable gain and impedance and a built-in charger, but you pay every add-on. I like the idea of a more affordable amp with a great sound, and Cesar will adjust the gain for your phones. (I know -- that doesn't help if you want to use multiple phones...) The Porrtaphile V2 is in some ways like SR-71, in that strives to be a purist amp with all efforts put into producing a really good musical sound.

I'll be interested to read how other ear/brain interfaces with other systems respond to this nice little amp.
tongue.gif

A word of caution (one of the ubiquitous lessons at headfi): Amps need lots of burn in time and big cap needs lots and lots of burn in time. I've seen references to hundreds of hours for some caps (no arguments in this particular thread please). In any case, my own experience with getting a lot of new amps to hear is that the sound most definitely changes this way and that for a while, and takes many hours to stabilize, open up throughout the spectrum, extend and tighten up the bass, smooth and clean up the highs, etc. --------- so be patient. What you first hear out of the box is not what it, or any amp, is capable of. Ain't burn in a pain? (kinda fun tho' -- a little adventure).

Happily, I don't have to say "sorry about your wallet" at its price point. It's not -- and isn't meant to be -- one of the really cheap bargain amps, but it's a bargain in its own way.

If Cesar goes with the better caps, the small increase in price will be worth it. The idea is to get the best sound possible in a tiny case at a very competitive price-for-value. It remains to be seen how others will perceive the sound.

Best Regards To All.

Mar 2, 2005 at 8:42 AM Post #10 of 52
Cesar shot off an email today to mention the cap upgrade and ask for a gain setting. Out of 3, 5, and 11 I picked 5 to use with Ety ER4S. We've corresponded maybe 4-5 times now, he's been very fast and detailed with responses. Quite a pleasure.

Atx, Romanee - thx much for your comments.

Mar 2, 2005 at 10:41 AM Post #11 of 52
Umm... Kinda I almost regret not ordering when the first batch was still available now
biggrin.gif

The thing is, I had this weird feeling that the price would only increase (psychic power++
wink.gif
)

I am looking to buy my first amp, but I would also like that purchase to be the last for at least the next 3 years.
For that reason, I've decided to go one step above a Cmoy/Pocket Amp even though I am sure those would make a large difference compared to unamped already.

I've not ruled out more expensive amp like the SR-71/SM. It seems that appart from the cost, you can't go wrong with the SR-71. It might not be the best for every type of music, but I am guessing that it can do no wrong either.

I like the idea that you can change gains with the SM though, as I currently only have a Porta Pro, but intend to get a higher end open cans and a canal phone at some point... so having the flexibility would be good.

As I've previously mentioned, I am particularly attracted by the price of the Portaphile V2.

One more question though.. How do the size/weight of those three amps compare to each other?

And while I am at it.. The type of music that I listen to most often is J/Kpop. This is followed by Hip Hop/Rap (various languages) and Dance. The closest thing to classical that I listen to would be Final Fantasy soundtracks and the likes. I do not touch Jazz (just don't understand that style). Would this suggest that I am better off with an amp with a little more "fun" (whatever that mean)?

Mar 2, 2005 at 6:37 PM Post #12 of 52
I could be wrong but I believe the SM and Portaphile use the same Hammond case, roughly the size of the credit card, slightly under and inch in thickness, while the SR-71 is somewhat (maybe 30%) larger.

From what I've seen in other's comments 'fun' amps/cans are best for pop, metal, dance, whereas classical is best suited by neutrality, blackness, accuracy, detail, etc.

Mar 2, 2005 at 7:07 PM Post #13 of 52
I just looked at Portaphile.com and saw the announcement that Cesar will definitely be using Black Gate NX caps for all production units (I didn't want to mentioned it until it was certain). The price increase is only $10, not $15 -- and batch one buyers will get the lower price plus the BG caps:

[size=x-small]QUOTE from Portaphile.com [03/02/05]:[/size]

[size=small]It's official, the final version of the V2 will come with Black Gate NX's, 2X1000uF's. * Any new orders for batch two will be taken at the new price of 185.00 plus shipping. * All of Batch 1 will be shipped with these upgraded capacitors.*
Last Updated March 1st

V2 will be available after March 3rd, 2005 and will be first released in two batches.* The first batch will ship on March 4th , 2005.*

Batch one has been completely sold out.* Thank you for all the interest.* Please keep an eye out for updates on batch two. * * (Last updated 3/1/05)[/size]

Mar 2, 2005 at 8:45 PM Post #15 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobeau
I could be wrong but I believe the SM and Portaphile use the same Hammond case, roughly the size of the credit card, slightly under and inch in thickness, while the SR-71 is somewhat (maybe 30%) larger.

From what I've seen in other's comments 'fun' amps/cans are best for pop, metal, dance, whereas classical is best suited by neutrality, blackness, accuracy, detail, etc.

At a glance the SM and Portaphile look like the same size case, but the SM is actually a tiny bit smaller. I've got both in front of me: SM is 3.25" long / V2 is 3.4" long, both are 2.1" wide, both are .9" deep -- but V2 has the (abs?) black plastic end cap bands which make the cross-section at the ends 2.25"x1". I've asked Cesar if the black bands could be eliminated and he said he needed the extra "hair's breadth" of space inside.

My experience with the v2 beta is that it is beautiful with all types of classical and jazz, and also has plenty of energy, depth and dimension for rock, pop, country/bluegrass, salsa, etc. See my (sleep late-night) comments above in this thread for some comments on where/how SR-71 excels.

So far I've found the V2 to be very satisfying and very "involving" with classical music, as well as having the energy and impact to be equally thrilling with rock, etc. All the information is present. Don't expect the super clarity and ultra-fine transients of the SR-71, but it presents these very well nonetheless. The SR-71 -- and the Coda (after an initial bit of listening) have slightly smoother, cleaner highs). Wait until the final Black Gate NX version of V2 has been out long enough for sufficient burn in and we'll revisit all this.

If you want the ultimate in clarity and refinement, get the SR-71.

Just a few examples of the music I've used to compare amps -- and that I love in general -- are:

Maxim Vengerov, violin - "Virtuoso Vengerov"
Cantate Domino - Oscar's Motet Choir
Thurston Dart, clavichord - Bach's 6 French Suites
Carl Orff - Carmina Burana - Boston Symphony Orch., Dir.-Seiji Ozawa - with Sherill Milnes, etc.
Bizet - Carmen - Highlights - Alagna Gheorghiu - Orchestra & Chorus of Toulouse
Bernstein - Candide
Itzhak Perlman - Bach - Sonatas and Partitas for Unaccompanied Violin
Strauss - Ein Heldenleben - Fritz Reiner...
Mahler - Schicksalslied & Alto Rhapsody - Columbia Symph. Orch, Bruno Walter
Eliot Fisk - Guitar Fantasies
Christopher Parkening - The Artistry of Christopher Parkening
Pablo Casals - Bach Cello Suites (for pure enjoyment of the performances -- lots of hiss so I have to turn on the brain's "focus on the music & hiss no more" filter)

Alison Krauss + Union Station Live, Hybrid/SACD
Tanya Tucker - Fire To Fire

Diana Krall - The Girl In The Other Room, Hybrid/SACD

Bill Evans Trio, Live at The Village Vanguard - "Waltz for Debby" (1961), Hybrid/SACD
Jazz At The Pawnshop - Hybrid/SACD
John Coltrane - Ballads
John Coltrane - Live At The Village Vanguard
Rite of Strings - Al Di Meola, Stanley Clarke, Jean-Luc Ponty
Oscar Peterson - Live At The Blue Note
Toots Thielemans - Chez Toots

Astor Piazzola - Libertango
Mickey Hart - Planet Drum

Sting - Brand New Day
Elvis Costello - Brutal Youth
No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom
Jeff Beck, Steve Morse, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai -- various