Anyone in Calgary want to help me test a hp-amp?
Oct 2, 2009 at 6:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

JonJeffman

New Head-Fier
Here's my situation, maybe someone's interested in a little equipment trial to help me out:

I've been upgrading my whole stereo system (it was pretty bad) and right now I'm looking at CD players/DAC's. I currently have a Rotel pre-amp, and I've read on here Rotel often has a better than expected head-phone out. I also have, on a 3 week trial, a new Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-09, with a built-in headphone amp.

The problem is, I don't have any quality 'phones to test them out with, nor have I heard a really good headphone amp to compare them to.

While I haven't set-in-stone my future 'phones (cause I haven't listened to enough yet), I have been lusting after some HD650's and read that these are difficult to drive.

So, is there anyone here in Calgary that ideally has some HD650's, or other difficult to drive cans, as well as a quality headphone amp that would like to do an A/B/C comparison with your amp, the Rotel & the GF TubeDAC? I'm totally willing to bring my gear to your place for the listening tests.

I have read some really good things about the TubeDAC posted on some other forums, both as a DAC and a hp-amp, but not sure the quality of the reviews/reviewers, so maybe we can get a somewhat qualified review of this product to post here. Plus it's reasonably priced so maybe it's a sleeper hit waiting to be discovered?

Oct 2, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #2 of 2
Hey JonJeffman,

I happen to have some HD650's, HF2's, K601's, MS1's.
I'd be happy to let you listen/test/try things out.
I don't have a huge selection of amps, but I have a couple of my designs that people seem to really enjoy.

I'm in the DEEP SW near Spruce Meadows.

devin_mm is also in Calgary (UofC) and has some pretty amazing stuff (including HD650's)
You could PM him on here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back