Anyone here make electronic music? What DAW do you use?
Aug 16, 2012 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Clincher09

500+ Head-Fier
I'm in the process of learning how to make my own electronic music. I've been using FL Studio for a couple years but I feel like it's a little lacking. I'm trying to learn how to use Ableton right now but it's a little more complicated to figure out.

If anyone else here uses a DAW, which one do you use? Which one would you recommend, especially for integration with live instruments? 

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #4 of 18
I am a huge fan of "Ableton Live 8".  I found it easy to use from the get-go and has a lot of room to grow into.  It's pretty easy to find a version of "live lite" to see if you like it and upgrade if you do.

Aug 17, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #5 of 18
I absolutely recommend Cubase...and yeah...Reaper is not user friendly at all. 

I'd also give Sony's ACID Studio a try. One of the simplest yet powerful DAWs I've used. It feels a little dated but I've made a few songs with it. Easiest to record directly into that I've found.

Quote:
I tried Reaper but I didn't find it very user friendly. I've been interested in Cubase as well, would you recommend it?

Aug 21, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #6 of 18
I only touched on it in the main post, but what DAW is the best for integrating live instruments with electronic sounds as well as playing live. I plan on writing music that uses both live instruments and electronics, and I need a program that I can use to play the electronics live. 

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #7 of 18
Ableton. 

Quote:
I only touched on it in the main post, but what DAW is the best for integrating live instruments with electronic sounds as well as playing live. I plan on writing music that uses both live instruments and electronics, and I need a program that I can use to play the electronics live. 

Aug 21, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #9 of 18
Aug 21, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #10 of 18
I just feel like everything I make in FL Studio sounds too "fake" or synthesized. Maybe I just need to try some different VSTs.
Quote:
I use Fruity Loops. Its not lacking as a music program, only your mind is. 
But yeah, if you want to try something else I would suggest Reason. I do use that time to time because of their good synterzhiers and then run it rewired with FL. 

Here is my latest production, though it was two years ago. Must get back on track :)
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhl4z968R1E

Here some other
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJcX_K27PSk&fmt=18

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #11 of 18
To expand a little on my Ableton recommendation. I don't really like Ableton, but when you're talking about live performing it always comes to mind. As a performance tool it's great, but as an actual DAW it's not for me.

Quote:

I know a few producers that feel the same way as well. Another one I tried and just didn't like.

Quote:
I just feel like everything I make in FL Studio sounds too "fake" or synthesized. Maybe I just need to try some different VSTs.

Reason is great. As a matter of fact, any of their products are. 

Quote:
Technically not a DAW, but Reason is popular for creating electronic music. Check out the demo (runs on Windows & Mac). I use Sonar myself.

Aug 22, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #12 of 18
I'll definitely have to give Reason a try. I'm figuring out how Ableton works now and I'm starting to really like it. I want to experiment with Cubase as well. 
Quote:
To expand a little on my Ableton recommendation. I don't really like Ableton, but when you're talking about live performing it always comes to mind. As a performance tool it's great, but as an actual DAW it's not for me.

I know a few producers that feel the same way as well. Another one I tried and just didn't like.

Reason is great. As a matter of fact, any of their products are. 

Aug 23, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #13 of 18
I don't make my own music but I use Apple Logic Pro 9 for mixing / mastering.
(Because I'm a mac user 
biggrin.gif
)

Reason is very good for making music alone but I don't like how it doesn't support plug-ins.. at all.....
It certainly is fun to play with, I really like its GUI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back