Anyone here like UM2's as much as big cans?
Apr 13, 2007 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

kpp80202

Head-Fier
For the last couple weeks I've been listening to my UM2's out of a 2G Nano and find I am enjoying the music as much as with my home rig (see signature). I'm not necessarily saying that the UM2/Nano combo sounds technically better or even the same, but the experience is just about as good in my opinion. It's actually making me rethink even having a home rig, since getting all connected and finding the time at home seems like a hassle given the simplicity of my portable setup. Plus, try as I may, I seem to rarely have time to just sit and listen at home for any reasonable length of time. Am I crazy? Does anyone else find that their portable rig is just as fun to listen to as a $$$ home setup?

Anyone in the market for a complete package deal on a system that many here agree has synergy? I know I could get more out of it by parting it out, but I'm into easy...

Apr 13, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #3 of 11
For the most part is the new toy effect, there is no way my UM2 matches up to W5000 out of HP200SE...but I do love music out of the UM2 almost as much as I do out of w5000. In the end its all music, but the comfort and intimacy of w5000 are more pleasant to me. That being said - if money constraints would happen, I would sell the home rig and be perfectly satisfied with just the UM2 and a DAP.

Apr 13, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #4 of 11
headphones definitely can do things IEMs cannot (bass impact, soundstage) but i love the isolation and enjoyment i get from the um2s that i wouldnt trade it for a pair of open headphones...i guess it all depends on your personal needs..

Apr 13, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #6 of 11
hmmm. i think there's something wrong.
i have this crappy pair of sennheiser supra-aural pc150 headphones.

and it sounds noticably better than my um2s that i just bought.
i think i need a better seal?

it has better bass, more clarity in the highs. and obviously better sound stage.
and the upper mids are just a tad screechy, like a harpy being harpooned. but still, overall. it's better.

what ?

Apr 13, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Culverin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmmm. i think there's something wrong.
i have this crappy pair of sennheiser supra-aural pc150 headphones.

and it sounds noticably better than my um2s that i just bought.
i think i need a better seal?

it has better bass, more clarity in the highs. and obviously better sound stage.
and the upper mids are just a tad screechy, like a harpy being harpooned. but still, overall. it's better.

what ?

Almost certainly a seal issue. To have a good seal, make sure the seal is still intact when moving your jaw in all directions. If it becomes unsealed when you move your jaw, it is not properly sealed. To remedy this, try twisting the IEM body deeper into your ear canal, and also pull on the top of your ear when inserting to straighten your ear canal to achieve deeper insertion, this should help. Also make sure you are using the right size tips for your ears.

Apr 13, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpp80202 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the last couple weeks I've been listening to my UM2's out of a 2G Nano and find I am enjoying the music as much as with my home rig (see signature). I'm not necessarily saying that the UM2/Nano combo sounds technically better or even the same, but the experience is just about as good in my opinion. It's actually making me rethink even having a home rig, since getting all connected and finding the time at home seems like a hassle given the simplicity of my portable setup. Plus, try as I may, I seem to rarely have time to just sit and listen at home for any reasonable length of time. Am I crazy? Does anyone else find that their portable rig is just as fun to listen to as a $$$ home setup?

Anyone in the market for a complete package deal on a system that many here agree has synergy? I know I could get more out of it by parting it out, but I'm into easy...

First of all, I'm Kevin in Colorado and I LOVE my UM2/56 combo, and no you are not crazy.

Apr 13, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #10 of 11
I don't have a portable(not yet), but Im happy for you
biggrin.gif

Thats why you got them...right?

Apr 14, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #11 of 11
As far as enjoyment factor goes, iMod-> SMIV-> UM2 is way up there. It can sound breathlessly good sometimes. I was actually so impressed with my portable setup that I eventually sold off my work amp (Aria). I've still kept the Beyer DT250-80 because they are more kosher for work, but I honestly think the UM2 sound nicer out of the setup than the Beyers. This might be a synergy issue, but even though the DT250-80 were more lively out of the Aria I still think, sonically speaking, I would choose the portable setup. The SMIV throws out a larger soundstage than the Aria, so maybe that (and of course the iMod) has a lot to do with why I like the UM2 so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back