Anyone here into fishing?
Feb 13, 2007 at 4:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

XxATOLxX

Headphoneus Supremus
Around the end of November last year, I finally picked up a fishing license from the sporting goods store and a rod as well. A couple years back, my uncle used to take me to Lake Mead and I completely forgot the joys of fishing. I try to go once a week now (sometimes more) using lures instead of cut bait. I've gone out on about 4 occasions without bait and only catching seaweeds so far
plainface.gif
. Anyone else here into fishing?

My personal best is a 2lb striped bass. (Lake Mead is known for striped bass that can grow to gargantuan sizes) The bigger fish just seem to elude me
mad.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #2 of 18
I used to do some rock fishing with my brother. Caught some little to medium sized fish. Once I caught a baby Portjackson shark, it was so cute.
If I had a large salt water aquarium, I would've kept it.

Sometimes I caught octopus or squids too. Oh the fun. They give you shower.

Feb 13, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #3 of 18
I used to all the time before I had kids. I used to catch catfish in the local bay area lakes. Deep sea fishing for ling-cod and orange ruoghy out of monterey bay. Creek trout in Tahoe too.

It was a lot of fun and a very relaxing hobby.

Feb 13, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #4 of 18
Another pleasant addiction
580smile.gif

I do a lot of flyfishing - Mountain lakes and streams.

loaded2.jpg

Now what's this guy doing headed to the mountains with a couple sea touring kayaks?????
confused.gif
confused.gif

paul2.jpg

Ok?????

trout.jpg

Typical Stone Lake Rainbow - Jicarilla Apache Reservation, New Mexico

rick.jpg

A friend about to release another nice one.

fleet.jpg

here's part of the Fleet.....Note the Motor on the float tube....LOL!!!!

Bear3.jpg

A grumpy local.....Someone must have sold him some Bose speakers.....:
580smile.gif
580smile.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 12:25 PM Post #6 of 18
I love bass fishing and have already started stocking up the lure collection, because I'll probably start fishing pretty regularly within the next month or so. It's still a bit too cold here to have any really productive days.. Fishing is a hobby that provides lots of gratification without having to sink that much $$ into it.

Feb 13, 2007 at 12:44 PM Post #7 of 18
I've been bass fishing since longer then i can remember. My whole family loves to fish, and we recently got into Muskie fishing. Personal best is a 40" muskie, my bro caught a 48" on LotW in Canada. Probably my favorite thing to do to relax.

Feb 13, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #8 of 18
I live in San Marcos and it's close to Oceanside Pier. You don't need a license to fish in ocean shores or pier here in CA and I've caught a lot jacksmelt and bonito and some guitar fish as well. My dream is to land a YELLOWFIN.
wink.gif
cool.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 6:22 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLaZeR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personal best is a 40" muskie, my bro caught a 48" on LotW in Canada. Probably my favorite thing to do to relax.

Hell. I'm just jealous you've been to Lake of the Woods, let alone catching a muskie... and I live here! Fishing is an incredible pastime for so many reasons:

Relaxation
Competition
Conversation
Challenge
Boating

Most of all, however - and this is totally my personal take on it - is the time I get to spend with my father. Perhaps I'm feeling a little sentimental at the moment (I'm moving out in a week or two after 27 years), but some of my favourite experiences have been out on a boat with my dad...

...usually catching the keeper of the day!
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'll certainly give him credit though - he caught the single largest smallmouth bass I've ever seen. The thing was literally a foot and a half across and nearly a foot thick ("tall")!

Funny enough, if it wasn't for an accidental catch a few years ago (by my dad), my younger sister would still be holding the title of the only McLaren to catch a muskie... and she was seven at the time!

Feb 17, 2007 at 9:17 AM Post #13 of 18
I used to do quite a bit when I was in south California. When I have long weekends, I used to take the overnight trips to Catalina island or San clemente for yellowtails or baracuda. When it's slow, they circle the kelps for some basses.

Off the Piers, I used to catch almost everything there... Spider crabs, sharks, rays, and once a while I got some legal size halibut and white sea bass. It was really fun in summer nights on the piers watching other catching mackerels. They come in schools, and if you really want them, you can snatch a few 5-gal buckets full in couple hours. The most exciting feeling is waiting for bonitas in early mornings when the sun rise. These little guys are so agile and fast. They do fight just like some serious tuna.

Well... when my kids are a bit older, I might take them on a few trips to Mexico for some serious chase of Mahi-Mahi and swordfish.
tongue.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #14 of 18
Where to start? It's seems like I've fished all my life, starting with pulling bullheads out of a WI inlet stream and perch out of an old town millpond for my maternal grandmother to fry up (when I was little, there was no fish of mine too small for her to clean and cook; catch-and-release aside, sure made me feel like I had accomplished something). Those were my cane pole and crude levelwind days (although I fished a Shakespeare Wonderrod for more than a decade and UglyStiks are still a good value)

Got into reading about fishing and spinning when I was in school. Stream fishing for smallmouth in northern WI when I was working there; personal best was a 5#3oz smallie on a purple FuzzyGrub and 2# test line (which I went swimming to land). A big baked walleye stuffed with baby bay shrimp has co-starred with roast venison and my wild rice and grouse stew at several Holiday game dinners.

The fishing library gets hit and has additions this time of year and now shows the need of annexing another bookshelf. "The Curtis Creek Manifesto" is to be highly recommended if your favorite haunts include streams. Gets the juices going for breakup. I've ice fished successfully, but it's just not the same (and besides, I've got a pretty good homelife
biggrin.gif
) I'm mostly catch-and-release these days, but fresh fish out of clean water is still pretty hard to beat for lunch or supper. Just don't fry mine anymore.

Party boat fishing in FL, PEI, and AL while on vacation; everything in salt water fights. I'll always remember how impressed my folks were when I came back from an FL day trip and took them to a local restaurant which broiled up my catch for all (and there was more than enough that day). But being out on a stream or in a boat on the water with nature, good weather or bad, that's always a joy. Never known anybody who stayed in fishing or small game hunting for a couple of seasons and didn't become something of a naturalist.

Both the Spaniels' Spring Vacation and the Spaniels' Fall Vacation have fishing elements as well each year, whether it's pulling smallies off their beds in the Spring or trolling for walleyes under the Hunter's Moon in the Fall. Built my own rods for twenty years; couldn't buy exactly what I wanted at that time and though I knew better than the craft rodmakers. Live and learn. Fishing is also where you get to see that you can always still learn. And you get to meet a whole host of characters, some of whom are fishing guides.
biggrin.gif
Get to see folks at their best and worst; it's been a real slice.
eek.gif

This winter, I'm finally getting started on fly fishing. Fly casting lessons start next week and I'm pretty excited. I'll be the 3rd generation in my family to flyfish the spring streams in SW MN. My mom's dad used to come up in the summer to Chatfield, MN to fish with his uncle, who was the town jeweler. My folks honeymooned flyfishing on the Gunnison in Colorado. I guess tha's where the family tradition of going swimming for your catch started; my father took a dip to complete landing a big brown (which wound up being big fish of the week at the lodge). And then there's fly tying . . . those lessons start in March.

This is a great sport for kit, as well
biggrin.gif
I've had canoes, boats, float tubes, and kayaks. Rods, reels, new flourocarbon line, knots, leaders, sonar, and lures, lures,lures! Got into buying spinning reels from Japan; their USA importers do not bring over the good stuff. What's not to love?

Feb 17, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #15 of 18
Been fishing since a child. All growed up now. Strickly fly fishing for trout. Used to do any type of fishing previously though the demands of my work and multitude of hobies dictate my self imposed limitation. Very relaxing and thought provoking endeavor. Tying flies in the winter months keeps the juices flowing for better weather times. A delightful passion!

lambda.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back