Anyone here into EDC pens? Post about them here
Mar 14, 2018 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

VocaloidDude

500+ Head-Fier
I recently got into EDC pens when I realized all my crappy consumer pens were breaking when I accidentally stepped on them, they would never write when I needed them to, and they don't write if the pen is upside down (which is a pain as a philosophy student because I am often laying on my bed for hours at a time reading old philosophy text).

So I went and found the Fisher Space Pen AG7, which was developed for astronauts in 1969 for the Apollo 7 mission and is still used to this day, the design unchanged. I was blown away by the craftsmanship, how solid and substantial it feels in your hand, the smooth clicker and clicker lock and release button which has a major fidget toy quality, also the intuitiveness of the design. It also has a pressurized ink cartridge, so it always writes, even if the pen is upside down (this is the feature which was developed for astronauts, because you need gravity to pull ink out of a regular pen). I was immediately obsessed and in love, sort of how it's like with Audiophile equipment. So I did what I naturally do - I spend hours comparing reviews and looking at blogs posts comparing the best EDC pens.

I finally settled on a few which looked the most interesting for me to buy, and ended up getting these. The first 3 I bought just this morning. What I look for mostly is elegant design, durability, and a fidget toy quality, which is why I mostly got titanium bolt pens. Also, no caps. I don't like capped pens, I like the pen to be one whole unit.

Fellhoelter TiBolt Brass (I'm asking for the titanium one for my birthday, but they're not in stock right now)
Brass-Deluxe.jpg
Maxmadco bolt titanium
dscf0934.jpg
TiScribe-Bolt Titanium
Fisher Space Pen AG7 Brass/Steel
FPAG7E.jpg
Gerber Impromptu Tactical Pen Steel
gerber-impromptu-tactical-pen.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #2 of 5
B0ECF6A7-7888-441E-A71C-B2FC033D4C31.jpeg

I have in the past carried a Pilot Prera fountain pen. It’s small and compact for a travel bag and it can write extremely fine for very small spaces on a tiny note pad. I like it because I can squeeze in a lot of writing on a small note pad. And it also writes pretty smooth and feels like a quality design.

It’s also nice that it takes up such little space along with a tiny note book which is great for traveling or as a nice low profile pen for a small desk or small drawer tucked away.

I paid around $30 dollars for it which I suppose is high for a tiny pen but it’s considered to be an excellent fountain pen in the category of the small size

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 5:45 AM Post #5 of 5
My desktop fountain pen is the Cross Townsend. It writes super smooth. I rarely use it though and just use it to mark my calendar and sometimes for signing birthday cards or signing the occasional old fashioned style letters. It does make the desk look a little more sophisticated when it’s placed vertically on a mount.

Not cheap though. It usually goes for around $100 but I paid $70 for it. I figure it will last me a lifetime so it will be my lifelong fountain pen.

8A338194-2B91-4353-B8F3-34CEC8757E02.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back