Anyone here build DIY speakers?
Jan 23, 2002 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

dcg

Became Capt. Napalm tocombat apartment robberies!
I'm thinking about building myself a set, but I'm having trouble narrowing it down. I've had my eye on the North Creek Borealis for a while, but can't seem to make up my mind (or save up my money
biggrin.gif
). Dillon's metaphor and attitude kits seem interesting as well, and a bit cheaper.

Luckily, due to my first DIY venture, I've got the sub all set: http://photos.yahoo.com/georgedc02

Any thoughts?

Dave

Jan 24, 2002 at 11:06 PM Post #3 of 15
Thanks for the suggeston, CTn. I hadn't heard of VAF before. Prices looked too high until I realized they were in Australian dollars. Plus, they have HT setups, which I've been looking for. Looks like I have some research to do. Do you know how much it costs to ship to the U.S.?

Any other suggestions?

Jan 25, 2002 at 3:14 AM Post #4 of 15
Email VAF, They are pretty nice people.

It shouldnt be that much since its all in knock down form.

Jan 28, 2002 at 6:07 AM Post #9 of 15
that is a pair of adire audio tempest subs. They're 15" subwoofers, each in 6.2 cubic foot enclosures.

what do you mean finish off the project? They're functioning
biggrin.gif

I know, I know, I need to paint it. The mdf/sonotube look is kinda growing on me though.......

Jan 28, 2002 at 6:16 AM Post #10 of 15
i am farmiliar with the tempests, do you like they 150bux right.

I know alot of people are now putting them in their car. Great sound deep bass, and very accurate. They kinda need a big box for car audio but there great.

What did you port them at?

Jan 28, 2002 at 6:21 AM Post #11 of 15
I actually pre-ordered them at a reduced rate beofre they came out, I forget the exact cost. I believe they're $150 now though.
I acutally built the sub last summer, and now I'm stuck at school witout it
frown.gif
. Lemme look around and find the exact specs for you.

Jan 28, 2002 at 6:28 AM Post #12 of 15
ok, found 'em.

The subs are tuned to 17.5 hz. The internal volume is about 175 liters (6.2 ft) per tube, and each has about 64 ounces of stuffing inside. One 4" port I believe 13" long. Overall dimensions are about 4.5 feet high, 26" wide, and 28.5" deep.

Dave

Jan 28, 2002 at 5:41 PM Post #14 of 15
I built a pair of voigt pipes a while ago, and am thinking about building another pair of rearloaded horns this summer. I'm a believer in fullrange drivers, so I'm going to stick with using those.

www.speakerpage.com has a nice looking audiophile 2-way floorstander kit that you might be interested in.

Jan 29, 2002 at 12:25 AM Post #15 of 15
Yes, I have the disease, but I haven't kept up on kits. I still like the Eton 3-way that Madisound sells for a straightforward set-up. It is kind of overkill with a satelite, however.

I am half done with my Shogun subs for my listening deck. They would be all done, but I don't like the way they sound outdoors. My first bandpass, so I didn't know what to expect. They go deeper than hell, but not much snap. They will evolve into BR config I think. 9 cubic feet each, so I can't even lift them myself. I used multi-core. Not as bad as MDF, but still not great. I am sticking to baltic birch ply from now on.

Sorry, I ramble. Don't get to chat on this topic much. I deliberately avoid the dedicated web sites because I would never be able to escape!

Later

Users who are viewing this thread

Back