Anyone here a Professional (or student) photographer?
Sep 19, 2007 at 5:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jconly

Head-Fier
Well, it's 1AM, and I've been working nonstop since Friday on this "still life on white" shoot that needs to hit the lab tomorrow morning. Surely, it will be another sleepless night.

It's not that I don't LOVE what I do, but man, my eyes are going to explode.

Anybody else out there share my love / occasional bouts of insanity?

Time to go get some coffee...
And perhaps have a smoke.
cool.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #5 of 13
As a grad of Brooks Institute, earlier in my life I practiced the art/science/business of photography. Those days are in the past now, but I still remember some of those meet the deadline sessions.

- augustwest

Sep 19, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #6 of 13
Have my BFA in Photography, and considering an MFA.

Sep 19, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #7 of 13
I occasionally get paid for the my work, so I know what its like to have a deadline. but no, I'm not a student nor do I consider myself a professional in any way.

Sep 19, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #8 of 13
No deadlines here, but I definitely felt some stress this summer and up until this past thursday because I put together my first solo exhibition. I'll tell you something, putting together 21 matted and framed prints (and printing and hanging them yourself) is no small feat and I admire those who have been doing it for their whole life. I've only been at it 2 years now, but damn if it isn't stressful.

Sep 20, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a grad of Brooks Institute, earlier in my life I practiced the art/science/business of photography. Those days are in the past now, but I still remember some of those meet the deadline sessions.

I almost went to Brooks, but ended up at RIT instead.
What are you doing for a living now? Why no more photography industry?
(I'm always curious to hear people's stories, I hope you don't mind)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bull Moose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No deadlines here, but I definitely felt some stress this summer and up until this past thursday because I put together my first solo exhibition. I'll tell you something, putting together 21 matted and framed prints (and printing and hanging them yourself) is no small feat and I admire those who have been doing it for their whole life. I've only been at it 2 years now, but damn if it isn't stressful.

Ya it's crazy isn't it. For my personal work I typically run prints from my 4800 and then matt them. It's no small feat, thats for sure. In fact, I have a few I need to re-do. What type of work were you showing this summer?

I ended up taking my last shot around 6AM this morning. Slept for an hour or so, and took it to the lab. Picked it up at 1, and headed to class. Finally got home just a little bit ago..and now it's off to hockey practice.

So what type of "small jobs" have you guys gotten into?

Sep 20, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #10 of 13
"I almost went to Brooks, but ended up at RIT instead.
What are you doing for a living now? Why no more photography industry?
(I'm always curious to hear people's stories, I hope you don't mind)"

For a number of years I worked with several RIT grads. One of which is currently working for the J. Paul Getty Muesum.

I don't mind telling you my story, but I don't particularly want to publish it in a public forum. So if you want to know more you will need to call, but be warned it's a long tale.

- augustwest

Sep 20, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #11 of 13
Well I'm a student who's a photographer but not a student photographer
etysmile.gif

If you have myspace you can see my photos there www.myspace.com/vividworld
(click on my profile photo and it;ll show the albums)
It's just one of my hobbies
etysmile.gif

my old stuff is here http://www.xanga.com/nviati (you can view this one without having to log into an account)

Sep 20, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #12 of 13
im an undergrad in the photo school at the University of Washington. its really more of a contemporary art program than a straight photo program like brooks.

personally ive found that photography as most people concieve of the word is not what i want to do. im planning on going to gradschool for some kind of art after i graduate.

Sep 25, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't mind telling you my story, but I don't particularly want to publish it in a public forum. So if you want to know more you will need to call, but be warned it's a long tale.

august, I'm genuinely interested, but I'm afraid I'm scrambling for time as is. already have a list of people ive been needing to call
plainface.gif
perhaps in the future

Quote:

Originally Posted by mochimon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
personally ive found that photography as most people concieve of the word is not what i want to do. im planning on going to gradschool for some kind of art after i graduate.

do elaborate... I'd love to hear more about what you're up to

Users who are viewing this thread

Back