Anyone here a pilot?
Jan 29, 2010 at 10:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

nsx_23

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm curious to see whether anyone here is a pilot, and doesn't mind sharing their training + career experiences with me.

I recently received an email from Dragonair asking me to head back to HK to sit an initial english and maths test for entrance into their cadet pilot program, and am not too sure whether I should fly back or not.

The thing is, I'm in my final year of university, and if I get through this initial test then it'll mean having to fly back again in March to do the aptitude test, then another flight back in May to sit the actual interview (Assuming I even get this far). Not only will this get very expensive and time consuming, but there is no guarantee that I will end up being successful and joining the cadet program.

I was posed a very good question by my parents: "If you are successful and need to begin flight training during your uni exams, would you sacrifice 4 years of studies to become a pilot?". Its an honest question, and one that has been running through my head for the whole of today along with 20-million other related thoughts.

I guess I should just fly back to HK and sit the first test now. At least I will spend Chinese New Year in HK with the rest of my family, and I know that I'll always kick myself for not at least giving it a go and end up being an engineer even though I had the chance to become a pilot. I do enjoy engineering, but its the notion that I let such an opportunity slip away which bothers me.
The flip side is that flights aren't cheap, and I don't want to set-up a situation which will leave me stressed throughout the whole year and draw my focus and time away from my final year project and studies.

Jan 29, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #3 of 18
The thing is that if I do sign up with Dragonair, then I doubt I'd be able to take 2-years leave after that to finish my studies.

I think you're bound to a 6 year contract with them since they pay for all the training and related living expenses.

Jan 29, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #4 of 18
Ahhh. Well take as much time as you need to decide.
smily_headphones1.gif
If it were me I'd finish my degree but then you might not get an opportunity like this again.

Jan 29, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #5 of 18
I'm thinking I should just gun for it. Go back, sit the first test, then see whether I get into the 2nd selection round and worry about it later. At least by then I'd have a better timeframe to work with and can start talking to my uni course coordinator about a possible plan should I need to leave mid-way for flight training.

Jan 29, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking I should just gun for it. Go back, sit the first test, then see whether I get into the 2nd selection round and worry about it later. At least by then I'd have a better timeframe to work with and can start talking to my uni course coordinator about a possible plan should I need to leave mid-way for flight training.

I have no experience being a pilot nor university, but this is the way I'd do it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Good luck either way!

Jan 29, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #8 of 18
another chinese australian headfier?? cool! My parents werent very happy when i changed careers by deciding to go back and retrain at uni (i have 3 degrees in my other field of expertise), but in the end it is your life, your choice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its just far too good an oppurtunity to throw away.

I mean, its every little boy's dream - Being a pilot!

.. and it looks like you already know what you want to do. Good luck whichever way you choose
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjinh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have 3 degrees in my other field of expertise)

lol care to share? I think I'd kill myself to study 3 degrees
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 29, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #12 of 18
Yeah I had a laugh last night too lol.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjinh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
postgrad masters and the like are only 1 or 2 years so its not that bad

That is true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back