anyone heard this player?
Oct 11, 2001 at 1:52 AM Post #16 of 37
DanG,

Thanks for the heads up. Too bad the older models are no longer being made. What about the shockwave models?

MacDEF and coolvij,

Yeah, ok but I don't want MD.

Onix,

Thanks for the review! Too bad that RS model is no longer being made, kicking myself for not getting it.

chych,

LOL, I can't belive I didn't catch that! Maybe they are just really tiny headphones?

Tim D,

Silly person
wink.gif

Thanks guys, but I guess the search goes on.

Oct 11, 2001 at 2:21 AM Post #17 of 37
Um, the ct780 DOES have a line out, I have the player, and it's very nice. Sounds good too... No worse than the line out on my roommate's 570.

Oct 11, 2001 at 2:46 AM Post #18 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
Onix,

Thanks for the review! Too bad that RS model is no longer being made, kicking myself for not getting it.

I am sure you can still find them in the stores, probably under the new stuff
biggrin.gif
. Too bad you are not in Mexico man, there is a bunch of them on all the Radioshack stores, and I think they are going to be there for a loooong time, since most people would rather buy Sony's. Take care KR.

Oct 11, 2001 at 4:51 AM Post #19 of 37
Sorry about that, Flumpus. Thanks for that heads-up. Much more cheerful than mine, I suppose.
smily_headphones1.gif
I guess it's the 480 that has no line out. Is the line-out integrated with the headphone jack or separate?

Oct 11, 2001 at 4:48 PM Post #22 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
Seriously, though, in a portable environment, I guarantee you won't be able to hear the difference.

LOL! That's not what i hear whenever people start talking about MP3!
tongue.gif

Oct 11, 2001 at 6:50 PM Post #24 of 37
now don't you go calling MD-sound ****!
very_evil_smiley.gif

seriously, you want great sound on the go? portability? and you don't want MD? weird stuff man, beyond my comprehension
smily_headphones1.gif
rolleyes.gif

if I ever see you touching the shockprotection button on your p-cdp, team-MD's gonna get u!

yeah, you be different and get a Pana
tongue.gif

enjoy it tho. seen the 780 in real-life, it just looks business, alu lid an all. freaking huge tho.

Oct 11, 2001 at 9:27 PM Post #25 of 37
Quote:

LOL! That's not what i hear whenever people start talking about MP3!

Neruda, that's cuz there's a difference
wink.gif

Seriously, though, I've said this before. MD standard, MD LP2, and 320k MP3 (with a good encoder) are great for true portable environments. Sometimes even 296k MP3. If you're in a noisy environment, or doing something (exercising) where you're creating noise yourself, the difference between CD, MD, and high bitrate MP3 is negligible.

It's when you get to LP4, or <256k MP3 (or even some bad encoders at 256) when it becomes apparent.

Oct 12, 2001 at 12:20 AM Post #26 of 37
ya, listen to the MacMan...

Tho - I think you also need SEMI-DECENT cans...if you are working out with the cheapy-came-with-its, for fear of destroying your "nice" cans, then MP3 might actually sound...better!

Everyone who actively listen really need KSC-35s...

Oct 12, 2001 at 1:16 AM Post #27 of 37
Quote:

now don't you go calling MD-sound ****!

You know I shouldn't say that MD sounds like ****, since I never heard that format. But it was meant to be taken as a joke. anyway. That said, the specs for MD, tells me to stay far, far away.

I'm very much leaning towards the SL-CT780
9328.jpg

Quote:

enjoy it tho. seen the 780 in real-life, it just looks business, alu lid an all. freaking huge tho.

Quote:

1 World''s Thinnest as of DEC. 2000

Quote:

2 World''s lightest as of DEC. 2000

Yeah, sounds freaking huge to me, LOL!!!

Oct 12, 2001 at 3:29 AM Post #28 of 37
*looks up the largest MD player there is...and glances at his E900*

Yep, Braver's right, that 780 is freaking huge.
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 12, 2001 at 3:50 AM Post #29 of 37
Don't let these evil MD guys discourage you :wink:

The 780 is a great player, very little difference between the line out on it, the 470 and the 570. I'm very happy with my purchase, and the batteries last FOREVER.

Oct 13, 2001 at 1:39 AM Post #30 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF

Neruda, that's cuz there's a difference
wink.gif

Seriously, though, I've said this before. MD standard, MD LP2, and 320k MP3 (with a good encoder) are great for true portable environments.

It's when you get to LP4, or <256k MP3 (or even some bad encoders at 256) when it becomes apparent.

I don't want to get into a big compression debate, and I've never actually heard LP2, but when you equate it with 320kbps MP3s, I have to be skeptical. LP2 is technically has a bitrate of something like 132kbps, right? So if it sounds so amazing at such low bitrates, why aren't ATRAC3 encoders at all prevalent as opposed to MP3, WMA, or even Ogg Vorbis? And especially if at 66kbps, as you say, ATRAC3 approaches the quality of 256kbps MP3s.

Like I said, I'm skeptical.

But I must say that I am not at all an audiophile; I'm quite, quite happy to listen to 160-192kbps VBR MP3s on my SR-60s. Not to say I'm not thirstily eyeing the Etymotics
wink.gif
, but I'm pretty easy to please. So in general, I trust the judgment of you gifted-eared people, but these comments just jumped out at me as defying reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back