Anyone heard the Stax SR-207's (or SRS-2170 system)?
Sep 21, 2010 at 3:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

JonJeffman

New Head-Fier
I've listened to a pair of SR-202's and loved them, but didn't have the 303 or 404 to compare to (but I'm already stretching my budget just to get the 202's).

Anyway, just saw the ads for the new SR-207's.  Anyone heard them and could you comment on how they sound compared to the 202's?  Do you think the 207's are worth holding out for, or could this be a good chance to get a deal on some 202's?

Are either the 202 or 207 ever sold separately?  I'm heading to Japan in a little over a week and would consider picking some up while I'm over there but think I would prefer just the 'phones cause I guess the amps run at different voltage than in N. America, so I'd need some extra transformers or something.
Thanks

Sep 21, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #2 of 5
I would think you could pick up a US voltage amp there, since almost all of the Stax sold come through Japan.

I've heard the 202 and 404 before and preferred the 202. I don't know what is new about the 207. I just barely had heard of them before seeing this thread.

Sep 21, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #3 of 5
It will be released on the 1st of October so no one has heard them but it could be an improvement over the SRS-2050A which it replaces. They say improved drivers, housing, etc. and the amp is improved as well but of course no major changes.

You can go and buy a basic wallwart PSU with the amp with the appropriate voltage at home instead of the Japanese one that is supplied with, there was a thread about it somewhere, it should be the same with these as well.

Sep 24, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #4 of 5
This is interesting...I've heard head-fiers mention the 207.  I am waiting on the 202s now due to the statements I heard that would indicate that perhaps, in some ways, the 202s offer some positive sound signature that, to some, are superior to 404s.

Looking forward to info on the 207s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back