Anyone heard the new Tori Amos cd?
Nov 8, 2001 at 9:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Surfaday

Head-Fier
Haven't paid much attention to Tori Amos since "Little Earthquakes" from 1991. A GREAT album, imho. Loved her voice, loved her "unplugged" simple piano/vocal arrangements back then. How's the new album compare?

Nov 8, 2001 at 1:10 PM Post #2 of 12
Actually I'm curious also I havent bought any album of hers after Little Earthquakes

I would love to know what her other albums are like including the new one?

Nov 8, 2001 at 3:38 PM Post #3 of 12
I haven't bought it yet, because I heard it might have that new copy-protection scheme on it. Can anybody confirm this?

Nov 8, 2001 at 10:47 PM Post #5 of 12
But those aren't the new album, which I heard was mostly covers of other songs...
confused.gif

Nov 10, 2001 at 8:44 PM Post #7 of 12
This one is much more produced than any of her others. She really went all out. Since she was already famous for doing covers, she had to take it a step farther, and she did, in a couple of different directions. First of all, she recorded a bunch of songs written by men, and she tried to find a take on the songs from a female perspective. I don't think this is obvious unless you know it already. Also, she really went all out in the production. There's a version of Slayer's "Reign in Blood" that is the most out-there cover I have ever heard. Also, her version of Joe Jackson's "Real Men" is probably her most faithful cover that she's ever done.

She's doing a live tour (don't know if it's over) in which it's just her again, so if that's what you liked about her, you're better off served seeing her live if you can. If you want that on recordings, you're better off getting her first couple of albums and To Venus and Back -- one of whose two disks is a live album, albeit with a backup band. And some of her earliest EP's from the same period -- China, Winter, and Crucify are good places to start.

Nov 11, 2001 at 9:26 AM Post #8 of 12
and can honestly say the latest "strange little girls" is the worst album ever. okay, so it may be her reinterpretation of songs sung about women, this time by a woman, but some of these versions are terrible. the songs that survive best are those with the strongest melody (dont like mondays for example), but tom waits 'time' is destroyed, and dm's 'enjoy the silence' becomes a dirge.
bought and listened to it on day of release, never listened to it since.
(can't confirm re protection. never bothered to try)
but i can heartily recommend:
into the pink
boys for pele

Nov 13, 2001 at 7:58 AM Post #10 of 12
I listened to some of it at my local record shop. Being a big rap fan, I wanted to hear what she did with '97 Bonni and Clyde by Eminem. It kicks ass at first. Tori Amos makes it sound even creepier than Eminem! IMO that is the highpoint of the album. The rest is so dull; you will forget what you are doing sitting there. If it's offered to you fo free, check for white powder and then try it. Otherwise pass on this one.

Brett

Note to the FBI: that was just a joke!!!

Nov 14, 2001 at 12:59 AM Post #12 of 12
Speaking of unusual cover versions (following up from Dusty's comments) - The Sisters of Mercy's cover of Jollene (Dolly Parton) is truly wonderful. Andrew Aldritch's deep and ominous vocal style pleading "...I'm begging of you please don't take my man" is just a joy to listen to
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back