Anyone heard the new Steely Dan?
Jun 10, 2003 at 5:48 PM Post #2 of 23
Thanks for the heads-up. I just ordered the new Steely Dan!

cool.gif

Jun 10, 2003 at 8:33 PM Post #3 of 23
I thought it wasn't due out until the end of this week?

Jun 10, 2003 at 8:56 PM Post #4 of 23
Does anyone know if the DVD-Audio release is simultaneous with CD release? Sometimes there's a lag. definitely on my list!

Mark

Jun 11, 2003 at 2:25 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Does anyone know if the DVD-Audio release is simultaneous with CD release? Sometimes there's a lag. definitely on my list!

Mark

Got mine today. Same day release, just like Fleetwood Mac.

Jun 15, 2003 at 1:27 AM Post #8 of 23
Thanks for the heads up scottpaul_iu. Am a new h-fi member and am getting my education in the audio / music world.

Off the subject, but I got a DVD of BTO live (ebay) and immediately tossed that sucker into the dvd player and was dissapointed when there was no picture [i can laugh now]. Boy did I feel behind the power curve. I don't think I'm to the point to listening to music from my dvd player yet (also found out the dvd-a does not work in my pcdp).

Checked out Everything Must Go on amazon and dddvd and noticed the audio cd & dvd, or cd & dvd options respectively. So back to the h-fi seach and am reading the SACD OR DVD-AUDIO--Explained! thread. Light bulbs are illuminating, but there is still that flicker.

So I take it there are dvd players that will play dvd-a (or dvd-v?). But are there pdvdap (personal dvd-a players) that also play cds?

Jun 16, 2003 at 3:08 PM Post #11 of 23
Just picked up the new Steely Dan myself. I can agree with richard to a certain extent. There doesn't seem to be any one number that stands out after two and a bit times through the album. It does sound quite good as all Steely Dan stuff is well recorded. I guess nothing earth shattering but pleasant to listen to just the same. Compared to their last album the music is much more accessable from a songwriting point of view.

A couple of interesting things to note though. It seems they have abandonded their practice of pulling in outside musicians for their sessions. They usually use top studio guys but in some instances use other recording stars. The "Gaucho" album for example, has Mark Knopfler playing on 'Time Out of Mind'. The guitar solos on
"Everthing Must Go" are all done by Walter Becker and he even sings on one song for the first time. If you're a "Dan-Head" you'll want to pick this up. If you're not familiar with their music this is probably not the place to start.

Jun 16, 2003 at 6:10 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by erikzen
Just picked up the new Steely Dan myself. I can agree with richard to a certain extent. There doesn't seem to be any one number that stands out after two and a bit times through the album. It does sound quite good as all Steely Dan stuff is well recorded. I guess nothing earth shattering but pleasant to listen to just the same. [...] If you're a "Dan-Head" you'll want to pick this up. If you're not familiar with their music this is probably not the place to start.

I agree with this. I certainly don't want to sound overly negative, as it's a nice album, but they've done better.

Jun 16, 2003 at 10:10 PM Post #14 of 23
Can nay-sayers compare it to Two Against Nature? Critics said that was so-so but I like it. Is the new one "even worse" than the previous?

Jun 16, 2003 at 11:42 PM Post #15 of 23
Two against nature got panned a little because Fagen and Becker were playing around with wierd time signatures and dissonant chords. This album is more straightforward, hence my comment that it was more accesable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back