Anyone Heard the Miles Davis Cellar Door Sessions (1970)?
Jan 26, 2006 at 2:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

gratefulshrink

Headphoneus Supremus
LIke the title says, has anyone heard Miles' Cellar Door Sessions 1970? Huge 6-CD set of apparently never-released live stuff, recorded in the club? Different line-ups on different nights, with John McLaughlin on the last two discs.

AMG raves about it http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...0:985h8qnxbtz4 . Says the sets with McLaughlin are crazy

Amazon says only this:
"Editorial Reviews
Amazon.com
These mythical, Washington, DC December dates, released for the first in this impressive six-CD compilation, are an extension of Miles Davis's fusion LP, Live-Evil. Davis’s piercing, electronically altered trumpet tones fire up of his young Turks; keyboardist Keith Jarrett, drummer Jack DeJohnette, bassist Michael Henderson , percussionist Airto Moreira, saxophonist Gary Bartz, and guitarist John McLaughlin. Davis's acoustic fans hated the adventurous and extended, jazz-rock excursions of selections like "Directions," "What I Say," and "It's About That Time," but there was no denying the complex interplay and improvisations, especially with Jarrett's rare Fender Rhodes electric piano and organ solos. Bartz's snaky, alto and soprano sax lines are equally astounding in this context, as is McLaughlin's "Hendrixsation" of the jazz guitar tradition. Davis bragged that he could "put together the greatest rock n' roll band you ever heard." He came pretty close to doing just that. --Eugene Holley, Jr."

Jan 26, 2006 at 3:00 PM Post #2 of 21
I received this for Christmas and have been enjoying it for a month now. I agree with allmusic and amazon.com. This is some great live electronic jazz. Each set seems to get better leading up to McLaughlin on the last two.

Jan 26, 2006 at 3:10 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by kane
I received this for Christmas and have been enjoying it for a month now. I agree with allmusic and amazon.com. This is some great live electronic jazz. Each set seems to get better leading up to McLaughlin on the last two.

Yeah, the stuff about McLaughlin defintely intterested me. It's just that I have so much live Miles from that period that I don't know if it will really sound all that new to me.

I'm sure I'll end up at least downloading some of it......
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 26, 2006 at 3:29 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink
Yeah, the stuff about McLaughlin defintely intterested me. It's just that I have so much live Miles from that period that I don't know if it will really sound all that new to me.

I'm sure I'll end up at least downloading some of it......
evil_smiley.gif

Live-Evil is all taken from these sessions. So you have probably heard some of it. This is becoming my favorite Miles release along with the Plugged Nickel box.

Jan 26, 2006 at 3:49 PM Post #5 of 21
I have it but have only listened to the last two discs thus far. I can tell you more later if necessary, but to me the presence of Keith Jarret on keys in a fusion band makes this band a VERY unique one, and this box worthwhile. If you're unsure you can wait, they always go on sale for great prices a year or so after the initial release, sometimes sooner if you look hard.

Also, good call on the Plugged Nickel box above, that's one of my favourites also, along with all the records by that quintet.

Jan 26, 2006 at 7:16 PM Post #6 of 21
Definitely worth buying as quickly as possible, regardless of how much electric miles you might have. This is a unique band, doing some VERY interesting things. Jarrett and Bartz are particularly magnificent.

Although, im gonna wait until it hits yourmusic.com to buy it.

Jan 26, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #7 of 21
Kevin Whitehead, one of my favorite jazz critics, did a good review on NPR this week. Sounds like a promising set, especially if you're into Live/Evil, but I'm really hoping somebody finds more tapes from the Agharta/Pangea band.

Jan 27, 2006 at 1:16 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68
Kevin Whitehead, one of my favorite jazz critics, did a good review on NPR this week. Sounds like a promising set, especially if you're into Live/Evil, but I'm really hoping somebody finds more tapes from the Agharta/Pangea band.

excellent review -- thanks for the link.
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #10 of 21
I have had the Cellar Door set since Christmas and have listened to all 6 discs, most of them at least twice. In their own right, these sessions are so amazing that I cannot imagine a serious Miles fan not getting them. The sound is great, the music is phenomenal, and even though I do not own Live/Evil I have read that it is really chopped up and supplemented with studio sessions, etc., while these are the real deal. There is also no fluff--pure jamming from start to finish on all of the discs. The story of these sessions is also interesting, which is another good reason to get the set--the liner notes are extensive and include interviews of all the players other than Miles.

Jan 28, 2006 at 1:11 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron
...even though I do not own Live/Evil I have read that it is really chopped up and supplemented with studio sessions.

It sure is. I've read some people actually like them, but to me the studio pieces on Live/Evil have always sounded like Teo Macero twiddling knobs in the studio in order to fill up the space required to make a double album.

Feb 23, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #12 of 21
Okay, I was finally able to hear some of this...Rhapsody just made 9 Cellar Door tracks available. I'm impressed so far, playing is fit & funky on the little bit I'm able to check out.

There's a bit of a debate over at one of the jazz boards I hang out at about Gary Bartz' playing on this. I'm putting myself squarely in the "Gary Bartz rocks" category based on his solo on "It's About that Time" on disc 6. My opinion may change (like if it turns out he just rehashes that same solo for all 6 sets), but that'll have to wait until I can get my grubby little hands on this box.

Feb 23, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #13 of 21
What board is that? My main jazz one was almost entirely complementary to Bartz. In fact, I would say he is the real revelation of the whole set, just fantastic. Well worth it for almost just him alone, Jarrett just takes the whole thing over the top. Oh, and miles is good too.

There are only two Its about that Times in the whole box, both with somewhat similar solos from Bartz. But the feel of both tracks are radically different, with the disc 6 version much shorter and laid back/bluesy.

Feb 23, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane
What board is that? My main jazz one was almost entirely complementary to Bartz. In fact, I would say he is the real revelation of the whole set, just fantastic.

The thread is here, but looking back on it, you're right, the criticisms of Bartz aren't well supported and come (mostly) from one guy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane
the disc 6 version much shorter and laid back

Yeah, figures..."you get what you pay for" and all, scraping up the crumbs Rhapsody tosses my way. Man, I can't wait to hear the rest of this. I was listening to the Complete Jack Johnson Sessions at the same time and, while there is good playing throughout, that box is a strong argument for editing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back