Anyone heard the k1000 with a Jungson JA-88D?
Oct 19, 2006 at 2:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Dorder

100+ Head-Fier
I'm finally looking to get some serious amplification for my k1000 and the Jungsons JA-88D cought my attention, since it offers a fully balanced class A amplification stage, with 80W into 8Ohms output. And all this with a price tag below 1000 usd.
Based on the reviews on other sites, the Jungson seems to be a tremendous value for integrated solid state amps.
Since many members here believe that optimal amplification of the k1k's is class A solid state, i thought this might be a good alternative to the other popular k1k amps like the RWA Signature 30 or the Pass designs.

Did anyone have a chance to hear that combo?

Oct 19, 2006 at 2:32 PM Post #2 of 4
Haven't heard it, but while it won't necessarily hurt the K1000s, I think 80 watts may be a bit much; you'd probably be pretty darn low on the volume knob.

Oct 19, 2006 at 2:47 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
Haven't heard it, but while it won't necessarily hurt the K1000s, I think 80 watts may be a bit much; you'd probably be pretty darn low on the volume knob.

yeah, i know that 80W is bit of an overkill, but my current marantz amp has 95W in class AB mode and there is enough usable range on the dial, so that wouldn't worry me too much. the only thing that bothers me is the unpleasant energy efficiency and the resulting heat, due to class A design.

Oct 24, 2006 at 3:01 PM Post #4 of 4
I wouldn't worry about 80 watts with the K1000's. I've been using a B&K ST140 with an Audible Illusions M3A preamp. The B&K is 105 watts per channel, with a 2 volt input sensitivity, and the AI has high gain for a preamp, and I have had plenty of useable volume control with the AKG's. Usually the volume for the K1000 is about where it is for my speakers (VMPS 626R's, about 90db). I'm also using them with my new amplifier, a used Aleph 30. I need to turn the volume up a bit with the Aleph, but neither amp is over or under powered for the AKG's.

-Aaron

Users who are viewing this thread

Back