Anyone heard the headroom ultra desktop dac
Jun 13, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #2 of 12
I actually asked a similar question a few weeks ago -- at that time everyone said "wait til CanJam" since HR will have it on display there. Subsequently I have seen a few comments with reference to the ultradac, and they all were very positive - so much so that I just ordered one (along with the balanced ultra amp) from HR a few days ago. They told me they are now available and the next production run should be shipping in about 2 weeks. Most of the info to date on the ultradac is on the Headroom Forum, so you might want to look there. I haven't seen any comparisons of the ultraDAC with other DACs including the Buffalo DAC.

Jun 13, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #3 of 12
Thanks. I've looked in the Headroom forums and got the Headroom spokespeople's description of the dac's components, etc. However, the only description of the sound which I have heard is "nice". Im looking to buy a new dac and would appreciate hearing your impressions when yours arrives.

I have not been thru the CanJam stuff, so there may be some useful impessions there.

Jun 13, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by dickbianchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. I've looked in the Headroom forums and got the Headroom spokespeople's description of the dac's components, etc. However, the only description of the sound which I have heard is "nice". Im looking to buy a new dac and would appreciate hearing your impressions when yours arrives.

I have not been thru the CanJam stuff, so there may be some useful impessions there.

I had to do a bit of searching to find any descriptions of the UltraDAC's sound - the few I've seen are scattered around on different forums so it was a bit frustrating. And you're correct - most simply say (or "suggest") that it sounds very good. I'm almost certain that as more ultraDACs come online, you'll see more fleshed-out comparisons with other DACs. I still have my Benchmark DAC1 on hand, so it will be interesting to compare it with the UltraDAC. I always thought the DAC1 was generally good, but could sometimes be hyperdetailed and the soundstage a bit two-dimensional.

Jun 13, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #6 of 12
I look foreward to your comparison of the Headroom to the Benchmark. The Headroom will have to be compelling in the main event, the SQ, since it will offer nowhere near the flexibilty of the Benchmark and some similarly priced Dacs.

Jun 13, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #7 of 12
i spent a day or so with it at Canjam. I brought my millett (headroom) there to really test out the DPS.

I was blown away by the Ultra Desktop to say the least, its rich, it full, its musical.

I couldnt find a thing wrong with it...really.

Jun 14, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i spent a day or so with it at Canjam. I brought my millett (headroom) there to really test out the DPS.

I was blown away by the Ultra Desktop to say the least, its rich, it full, its musical.

I couldnt find a thing wrong with it...really.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll have one soon.

Congrats, Gents. Look forward to hearing your impressions after burn in. It is using a very special DAC chip, I hope that the jitter rejection and amplification are also state of the art.

Jun 29, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #10 of 12
Any update for impressions on this?

Aug 18, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #12 of 12
How about it -- what's the verdict?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back