Anyone heard the Alesis Monitor One MKII?
May 12, 2005 at 12:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Mr.Radar

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm currently looking at one to use with my system. Right now I have some really crappy speakers and pretty much anything would be an upgrade. The Alesis Monitor One's seem to be the best solution for about $200. I will mainly be using them for nearfield music listening, next to my CRT computer monitor (they're sheilded so they work) and from what I've read they're non-fatiguing which is a must for me. Before I buy them (well, after I get from vacation in 2 weeks) I'd like to get some opinions on them from audiophiles (and opinions from other users are welcome too). I'll be buying the passive version and using them with my Harman Kardon 730 receiver (modded to add a cooling fan).

May 12, 2005 at 2:45 AM Post #2 of 14
I hated the midrange. It sounded closed in and nasal. Check out the Event TR-5. Good balance all the way up and down.

May 12, 2005 at 3:04 AM Post #3 of 14
Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking for passive monitors if possible so I'm not paying for an amp when I already have a good one (my Harman Kardon 730), but I'll consider actives if they really stand out compared to the competition. Also, the TR-5's are out of my price range. I can spend $200 max, in fact my original price range was $150 until I read about the Alesis Monitor's.

May 12, 2005 at 3:11 AM Post #4 of 14
Consider ebay/agon. You can squeeze a few $300 models into your budget that way.

May 12, 2005 at 11:00 PM Post #5 of 14
Has anyone else heard these? Also, ooheadsoo, are you talking about the passive or the active version? And if you're talking about the passive version which amp did you use?

May 12, 2005 at 11:42 PM Post #6 of 14
Both were active models. Btw, if you go to a guitar center or whatnot, you can really drive a hard bargain for their passive models because no one wants them. On the flip side, because no one wants them, they sometimes don't stock very many.

May 13, 2005 at 1:31 AM Post #7 of 14
Yeah, I plan on going to Guitar Center. I'll definately call ahead to see if they have any in stock before I go, and I plan on talking the guy down to $200 w/ tax or less. Their return policy says I can also return them up to 2 weeks later and only pay the 15% restocking fee.

Also, the passive version seems to have a very different cabinate design which probably impacts the sound a lot (the biggest difference is probably the great volume of the box, due to there being no amp, and a signle rear port instead of two front ports).

May 13, 2005 at 2:05 AM Post #8 of 14
Well, I wouldn't use a pair of Alesis if someone gave them to me. It's too bad that you may not be able to hear them before buying since they are not powered. Do listen to the powered ones if you get a chance. If you care about the midrange I don't think you'll go for it. Then again, the problem may not rear its UGLY head if you don't listen to acoustic music like jazz and classical.

May 13, 2005 at 2:10 AM Post #10 of 14
Well, I still wouldn't do it knowing that it has a huge flaw. It may still show up once in a while in voices etc. There are other options, so keep your eyes open. You may be able to score a pair of event bas 20/20 for not much over $200 if you bargain for the passives.

May 13, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #11 of 14
That was the Alesis' Award-Winning monitor, I have them for about two years and I like them, IMO they sounded pretty good, a lot better than some monitors priced far above, the passive ones I mean, (I have not heard the active) But definitelly I did not notice the nasal midrange issue at all, at least not with my amp and system, but as usual in studio monitors they are bored and flat, my brother still has them and he absolutelly love them....I replaced them for the Axioms M3ti, and I think they offer better performance for a home system...

May 13, 2005 at 5:32 AM Post #12 of 14
Yes, Sov loves the alesis, so keep that in mind. I took a listen to the midrange and dropped them. So it's best to listen for yourself.

May 13, 2005 at 11:29 AM Post #13 of 14
I'll see if they'll let me take my Harman Kardon receiver in with me to demo them at the store (otherwise I'll be stuck with whatever amps they have there, if they even let me use them). Those Events look pretty good, and I found an Internet store selling them for $265 (per pair) so I can use that to bargain the price down.

May 18, 2005 at 4:00 AM Post #14 of 14
The 20/20 is just a step down from the Mackie HR824 IMO (and in many people's opinions, I believe) and the Mackie HR824 costs a nice $1300 retail (and still a nice bundle off of ebay or agon.) I think the Event TR5 has a more focused midrange at the expense of bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back