Anyone heard of United Chemi-Con (UCC) U92 Series Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors?
Feb 17, 2017 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

100VoltTube

100+ Head-Fier
I was looking at Mouser's selection of high-voltage electrolytic capacitors, and cam across these. They have crazy low ESR and 5,000 to 15,000 hr lifespans. The price isn't very high, either. They aren't as cheap as some, but they're nowhere near as expensive as boutique caps. Another plus: they come in all sorts of different values from 150μF to 3,300μF.

The problem is that they're brand new, and there are no actual listening impressions of them. Has anyone used or hear of someone who used them?

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #4 of 6
  Does it get that hot inside an amp if the tubes are mounted fully outside the case and there are ventilation holes?

To 105 deg. C.?  Hopefully, not ... yet tube amps run hotter than comparable solid-state - much hotter.  The lower temperature rating at 85 deg. C. is a clear indicator that the capacitor can't tolerate hot environments as much as a 105 deg.C. capacitor.  That amazing operational life could be severely reduced compared to a 105 deg.C. cap.

Good layout may mitigate a cap's exposure to high heat.  The 85 deg.C. cap may be just fine in many scenarios, including tube amps.  I was simply pointing out that there may be a better choice in the same line.

Feb 18, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks. I wasn't quite sure what you meant in regards to temperature. I know absolutely nothing about the thermal situation in tube amps.

The U91 series is only rated at 5,000 hr at 105 C, and they're more expensive, which is why I didn't bring them up initially.

I'll try the U92's in my amp, but i'll have no other caps to compare them to.

Mar 26, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #6 of 6
Report on current progress: I have my amp up and running. The caps work. They do get quite hot in their current position mounted outside the case. I haven't measured the temperature yet, but it doesn't feel to be anywhere near 85°C. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back