Anyone heard of Hivemind Cables before?
Oct 9, 2015 at 10:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

cuiter23

Headphoneus Supremus
Was looking around for some upgrade cables for my HD650 and came across Hivemind Cables. I love the design of the cables and they seem to be constructed well.

Just want to see if anyone has any personal experience with their cables before dropping money on them.

Thanks in advance!

Oct 10, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #2 of 16
I have never heard of that brad, but I am not that knowledgeable when it comes to cables.

My personal opinion is that cables do not contribute to changes in the sound of headphones. Here is why:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/486598/testing-audiophile-claims-and-myths
I think a cable upgrade should be made when you don't trust the build quality of the cable you have or when you want a different length.

What I do believe is that bad connectors can affect the sound, but almost all headphones I have owned had good connectors.

Oct 10, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #3 of 16
  I have never heard of that brad, but I am not that knowledgeable when it comes to cables.

My personal opinion is that cables do not contribute to changes in the sound of headphones. Here is why:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/486598/testing-audiophile-claims-and-myths
I think a cable upgrade should be made when you don't trust the build quality of the cable you have or when you want a different length.

What I do believe is that bad connectors can affect the sound, but almost all headphones I have owned had good connectors.

ABX tests with speaker cables is intrinsically flawed. The switcher itself is usually the bottleneck thus resulting in the inability to tell a difference between cables.

If you have a mid-level set-up, speaker cables make a huge difference. I am not exaggerating when I say it is like watching a 240p video compared to a 1080p video. You might think I'm crazy for saying that but go to your local hifi store and test some 20k speakers with different cables and let your ears decide for you.

You can say I was a convert.

Oct 12, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #4 of 16

ABX tests with speaker cables is intrinsically flawed. The switcher itself is usually the bottleneck thus resulting in the inability to tell a difference between cables.

If you have a mid-level set-up, speaker cables make a huge difference. I am not exaggerating when I say it is like watching a 240p video compared to a 1080p video. You might think I'm crazy for saying that but go to your local hifi store and test some 20k speakers with different cables and let your ears decide for you.

You can say I was a convert.

I'll try that some day. I'm always open to different points of view and I have never done a test myself. Still, I won't be convinced until I hear it.

What is a mid-level set-up to you? Going by the brand I know best, would mid-level speakers be:
KEF iQ5
KEF Q11
KEF R500

Dec 9, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #5 of 16
  Was looking around for some upgrade cables for my HD650 and came across Hivemind Cables. I love the design of the cables and they seem to be constructed well.

Just want to see if anyone has any personal experience with their cables before dropping money on them.

Thanks in advance!

Hey there!  Hivemind Cables is my shop :) 

I officially launched it a couple months ago on reddit /r/headphones here: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/3os9af/thanks_to_reddit_and_the_rheadphones_community_i/

I eventually want to be a head-fi sponsor ..hopefully once this pikcs up some more steam :) 

theres been a couple reviews up already if youre interested 

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/3tqpj4/i_got_another_fancy_cable_this_time_from_ujerrolds/
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/3vhdnn/my_hivemindcable_finally_came_in/

FYI i actually believe that cables wont make much difference at all ..and im in talks with a few ppl to do measurements...but ya..just custom length, looks, durability - that kind of thing is what id say for anyone who wants a fancy cable. 

Dec 9, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #6 of 16

Hey there!  Hivemind Cables is my shop :) 

I officially launched it a couple months ago on reddit /r/headphones here: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/3os9af/thanks_to_reddit_and_the_rheadphones_community_i/

I eventually want to be a head-fi sponsor ..hopefully once this pikcs up some more steam :) 

theres been a couple reviews up already if youre interested 

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/3tqpj4/i_got_another_fancy_cable_this_time_from_ujerrolds/
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/3vhdnn/my_hivemindcable_finally_came_in/

FYI i actually believe that cables wont make much difference at all ..and im in talks with a few ppl to do measurements...but ya..just custom length, looks, durability - that kind of thing is what id say for anyone who wants a fancy cable. 

Hey! I actually emailed you a while ago regarding my Sony XBA A3s. Didn't get back to you since the Sony's have a special type of MMCX connection mechanism. Sold my A3s and I ended up buying the factory upgrade cable directly from Sony for my Z5 :)

I'm looking to upgrade my cables on the HD650s indefinitely in the near future.

I'll try that some day. I'm always open to different points of view and I have never done a test myself. Still, I won't be convinced until I hear it.

What is a mid-level set-up to you? Going by the brand I know best, would mid-level speakers be:
KEF iQ5
KEF Q11
KEF R500

The R500 is definitely a great sound speaker. Had a chance to listen to a friend's R300... they sound great. The clarity and accuracy is not as good as my LS50s but the scale and low-end really make up for it.

Dec 10, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #7 of 16

I'm looking to upgrade my cables on the HD650s indefinitely in the near future.

Awesome dude - let me know when youre ready for that, I'll hook it up with a deal :)  Currently having a holiday sale (30% OFF) on my fancier silver-up flagship cables as well

Jan 29, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #8 of 16
I just got the chroma sound weaver cables for both of my Ethers and I really like how flexible the cable is.  Build quality is on par if not better than the DUM cables I originally ordered with my ethers.  I really like how light and pliable the silver upgrade makes to the cable itself.  Soundwise, I don't find any differences between these and the DUM cables, which is a good thing.  I do find that the Viablue splitter is a bit too bulky though.  I'm definitely going to order more for my other headphones, minus the splitter.  Turnaround for the build of the cable was great, I'm really happy with my purchase.

Oct 26, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #9 of 16
  I do find that the Viablue splitter is a bit too bulky though.  I'm definitely going to order more for my other headphones, minus the splitter.  Turnaround for the build of the cable was great, I'm really happy with my purchase.

Thanks, whether to go with the ViaBlue splitter was the only thing holding me back from ordering a couple of cables from Hivemind. I like the looks of it but I wondered this very thing, whether I would find it a bit bulky. And now I don't have to decide about the ferrite core either. I've heard those can help or hinder.

I love the Graphite Adder in the Venom series.

I just wish Hivemind would pack more info into their descriptions, such as, which of the paracord sleeving colors best match up with the colors used in the main cable before the split.

Feb 24, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #10 of 16

Thanks, whether to go with the ViaBlue splitter was the only thing holding me back from ordering a couple of cables from Hivemind. I like the looks of it but I wondered this very thing, whether I would find it a bit bulky. And now I don't have to decide about the ferrite core either. I've heard those can help or hinder.

I love the Graphite Adder in the Venom series.

I just wish Hivemind would pack more info into their descriptions, such as, which of the paracord sleeving colors best match up with the colors used in the main cable before the split.

Hey @taetertot thanks for the suggestions - I'll try and take those suggestions and make them better!

I've since added a gallery section to see many more real world cables - hopefully thatll help.  Its tough to get super descriptive without sounding like marketing word salad heh especially when i want to be more straight forward.

The Viablue splitter is kinda bulky for the Venom series, i prefer it on the Chroma Soundweaver and newer style Hydra (4-strand or twisted versions) 

Jun 25, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #11 of 16
I got the silver truth seeker for my elears a couple days ago. This cable is so light and flexible that your barely know it's connected. What a difference compared to
the OEM cables. They look and sound wonderful. I am very happy with my purchase..

Thank you Jerrold. !!

Apr 6, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #12 of 16
Awesome dude - let me know when youre ready for that, I'll hook it up with a deal :) Currently having a holiday sale (30% OFF) on my fancier silver-up flagship cables as well

Hello Jerrold

I've some Fostex ( TH900MK2 ) for Emeralds on the way from you .. looking forward to those

Question

Do you have the srew on 3.5mm connectors for Sony MDR Z7 or Z1R ... wanting a 4 pin balanced of this cable to amp

Thanks

May 18, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #13 of 16
Want to give a quick review of a set of Hivemind cables I purchased for my Audeze headphones. Working with the owner Jerrold was a pleasure, he was always prompt, and flexible with my requests, and I was able to get a custom set per my spec’s. I appreciate the amount of time he was able to give me when I was deciding what I wanted, he went above and beyond the call of duty to insure I was happy.

I ended up going with their flagship Dragonglass cables with the Neutrik 4 pin mini XLR connectors and an Eidolic 4 pin to connect to my amp. The cable “uses premium Silvered high purity OFC Copper wire core from Viablue. Each channel utilizes 3 wire cores for a total of 12 cores. “ I find the cable very light and flexible, and comes as close to being unnoticeable as I imagine a cable can be. The craftmanship is top notch.

I don’t subscribe to the idea that custom cables will enhance the sound. I don’t hear a difference (it takes too long to swap out cables to make a meaningful comparison), and that’s now why I bought these in the first place. I got these to take advantage of running balanced connections to my Jotunheim/Gungnir MB, and these do the job perfectly.

I wanted a set of quality looking, very well-built custom cables that would last a long, long time. I got exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Jerrold, you have a very satisfied customer in Texas.

Jul 12, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #14 of 16
I was considering Hivemind cables but almost all online activity surrounding them came to a full stop two years ago.
Is this the Canadian company your ordered from?

If they are indeed still in business I will have to reach out to them.

Cheers

Jul 14, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #15 of 16
Yep the Canadian company is the one I purchased from. I found Jerrold the owner to be great to deal with, and responsive to my needs. I ended up buying the dragon-glass balanced cables, and I'm very happy with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back