Anyone heard of fake Shure SE846s?
Aug 25, 2015 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Raxxon

New Head-Fier
Hi Head Fi. Long time reader, first time poster...

So, I recently bought a boxed set of Shure SE846's from a well known UK second hand electronics chain.

Tonight, I noticed something odd. The box looks totally legit except it doesn't have SE846 written on the front of the box (Below the Shure logo top left, and just above the four little headphone icons), unlike every other set I can see online.

The earphones also look legit to me - all the metal elements inside the clear casing seem engraved in the right places, from what I can tell online. And they sound good - well, bassier compared to a pair of 535s I have, I'm still not decided on the mids but I haven't tried swapping out the filters or anything yet, and have only run them through an iPhone.

Apart from that, the set included a full set of accessories (except the polishing cloth). All consistent with what I believe is the Japanese version (Code on side is SE846-CL-A)

Theres a serial number on the inside of the box, with a date of 2015/02/06 next to it. 

So, Maybe Ive been bitten by the paranoia bug after not buying from a registered dealer without provenance. but a couple of questions to anyone who might know...

Firstly, anyone know if there are any boxes without the SE846 on the front?

Secondly, have any fake SE846's been seen in the wild? Seems like a lot of effort to get the package looking so right but hey, they're expensive earphones. 

Cheers!

Aug 28, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #4 of 8
Do you mean the first box with the picture of the se846 or the higher quality box inside? On my box it says SE846 sound isolating earphones on the top left. I can't see the Shure logo or any headphone icons...

I couldn't find anything about fake se846s, but it seems weird if our boxes are different
confused.gif

Aug 29, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #6 of 8
Oh, I'm sorry. I did not know there were two different designs. You see, I have a black box that looks totally different. 

I understand what you mean now, but I'm afraid I can't really help with anything
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back