Anyone heard of closed BT Headphones with a solid midrange, non-V-shaped.
Jun 10, 2021 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Cytrynian

New Head-Fier
Dear Head-Fiers, I am in a pickle. I own a cheap (ca. 35$ paid in 2018) Bluedio T5 headphones and I am looking for a replacement. The replacement should sound similar and be a comfortable all-rounder. To be used in wireless mode only. I do not care for ANC or transparency mode. Long lasting battery would be an asset. Budget – up to 350$

It is going to be a long post so TLDR people who still wish to help please skip to the last two paragraphs.

I have already compared, back to back, note after note, switching all available codecs (APTx mainly), about 20 headphones from various tiers - ATH-SR30BT, ATH-SR50BT, ATH-M50xBT, ATH-ANC900BT, Bowers&Wilkins PX7, Sony WH1000XM4, Beyerdynamic Lagoon ANC, Sennheiser Momentum M3, Shure Aonic 50, AKG371BT, Dali IO4, B&O H9 3rdGen, B&O H95, Denon GC30, House of Marley Exodus ANC, Philips TAPH802, Bluedio T7.

Almost all of them sound hollow compared to Bluedio T5. Some less hollow, like Shure, some more – like Lagoon ANC, some are just tubby like TAPH802 or T7. They all have a too deep valley between 200Hz and 2kHz. Some are sibilant too, e.g. B&O H95 or ATH-ANC900BT.

AKG371BT sound totally neutral– lack any bass though. The T5’s bass is nearly tangible.

HoM Exodus – sound like my Chinese product with even better highs. Yet they feel like a vice on my head.

ATH-M50xBT – they come close to what I am looking for. Good bass and upper mids, Still, I wish the lower midrange could also be elevated.

All in all my current headphones are 1 to 3 stops louder than any of the compared ones. A bit like they are on steroids yet completely non-agressive. One can hear everything even on lowest loudness level.

After comparing all their frequency response graphs it became evident that only the T5 had the area between 200Hz and 3kHz equal or slightly higher (400-700Hz and 2-3kHz) than the bass area. It might be the reason why I like them so much.

I listen to the music without any EQ. The available EQ tools do not really work properly. Headphones with in-built EQ tools like Sony WH1000XM4 sound terrible regardless the EQ mode.

The question is - do you know other BT headphones with a similar, forward, non-V shape sound profile?

Or I should go to therapy, buy B&O H95 and pretend that those hissing vocals sound classy?

Jun 10, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #2 of 9
Audeze Mobius is the most correct-sounding BT headphone I've heard yet. It sounds like it'll fit the bill here.

Jun 11, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #5 of 9
Considered them, have not listened to yet. If only their battery life was at least double the 10h they have.
I guess there's no 'Goldilocks' cans out there, I guess. The FiiO EH3 NC might be worth considering.

Jun 29, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #6 of 9
Could not test the Adeze Mobius, alas.
Conclusion is - all BT headphones, no matter the price level are tuned to a sharp V-sound straight out of the box. Can anyone say why????
After a further Internet research I bought a cheap Soundcore Life Q30. The sound straight out of the box is a horrible bass/treble canion. But they sport an app with an 8-band EQ which stores presets right in the headphones.
Short fiddle with the EQ and boom, the headphones got liberated. The middle is excavated, the bass is controlled and the treble does not slash my ears. In certain aspects they sound better than my old good T5 - particularly in the highs. They lack a bit the aggression of the T5 but I can live with it.
They are comfortable. Build quality is so so. Buttons feel loose. ANC is suprisingly useful. Far from the level of Sony, but usefull nevertheless. 40h battery life without ANC.
Considering the sound quality and the price (60$) - they are of excellent value.
Thank you all for previous suggestions.

Jun 29, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #7 of 9
Most, but not all, Bluetooth headphones are consumer oriented models, not pro or audiophile oriented, and v-shaped sound signatures are pretty common for consumer oriented headphones because on a cursory listen it can make audio sound more exciting

Jun 30, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #8 of 9
If you can find a pair of Sony WH1000XM2 I would suggest them. They are more midrange focussed than subsequent generations were they boosted the bass. Should be able to get a pair pretty cheap these days. I still use them as my BT headphone and have not bought newer versions due to them being too bassy for my tastes.

Jul 1, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #9 of 9
If you can find a pair of Sony WH1000XM2 I would suggest them. They are more midrange focussed than subsequent generations were they boosted the bass. Should be able to get a pair pretty cheap these days. I still use them as my BT headphone and have not bought newer versions due to them being too bassy for my tastes.
Thanks, nowhere to get a new pair. And already got a unit by a different brand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back