Anyone hear the new Weezer album?
May 22, 2002 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

FlurkingShnit

100+ Head-Fier
It's called Maladroit if you haven't heard already. I bought it recently and I really like it's more rockin edge as compared to the slightly disappointing Green Album.

Stand out songs for me include......well......I like most all of them, but the ones that stand out are: American Gigolo, Dope Nose, Burndt Jamb, Slob, and Take Control.

Anyone hear or own or have an opinion of this album. Personally I feel it's fantastic and a step in the right direction.

May 22, 2002 at 4:23 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

What Cd of theirs is it most like?

That's a little bit of a tough one to answer. To my ears it contains influences from just about every Weezer album. If I had to pick one album, I'd say it has the most influences from Pinkerton, but there are songs that sound like they would come from the Blue Album.

Try going to a place like cheap-cds.com or cdnow.com and listening to the audio clips. You won't be disappointed.

May 22, 2002 at 4:33 PM Post #5 of 11
I'm detecting a "pattern" here with Weezer releases and I think it has something to do with the fact that like the Cure they have two separate audiences-- one group who likes the more pop-y side of the band, and another who like the more "emo/indie" side of the band.

Maladroit (which is another excellent Weezer album), is most like Pinkerton in that it seems to be more personal with fewer big choruses, and it's not as shiny and poptastic as Green. It's not as obscure as Pinkerton, but is a nice compromise between Pink and Green. Weezer used Ric Okasik (sp?) for Blue and Green, Weezer themselves produced Pink and Maladroit, another telling sign to me.

Either way IMO it's a killer album.

markl

May 22, 2002 at 6:19 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
I'm detecting a "pattern" here with Weezer releases and I think it has something to do with the fact that like the Cure they have two separate audiences-- one group who likes the more pop-y side of the band, and another who like the more "emo/indie" side of the band.

Maladroit (which is another excellent Weezer album), is most like Pinkerton in that it seems to be more personal with fewer big choruses, and it's not as shiny and poptastic as Green. It's not as obscure as Pinkerton, but is a nice compromise between Pink and Green. Weezer used Ric Okasik (sp?) for Blue and Green, Weezer themselves produced Pink and Maladroit, another telling sign to me.

Either way IMO it's a killer album.

markl

I agree wholeheartedly. Anyone new to Weezer should eventually get every album but other than the immortal Blue Album, this one could be a good place to start.

May 22, 2002 at 6:45 PM Post #7 of 11
Awww man, i hated pinkerton, that album was awful...

Ehhh...they should just stick with Ocasik producing their albums, i love the more pop sound.

May 22, 2002 at 6:57 PM Post #8 of 11
Pinkerton was just one of those albums. Some liked it for its raw emotion and others hated it because it was such a departure from the Blue Album. Give Maladroit a chance though. It's a mixture of both. A song like Burndt Jamb is one that is hard to imagine anyone not liking.

May 22, 2002 at 7:41 PM Post #9 of 11
BTW, somewhat OT, if you like Weezer, and aren't put off by "emo" (what a dumb name/genre
rolleyes.gif
), and are curious where it all started, check out this thread on the Feelies. Their 1980 album "Crazy Rythms" is probably Ground Zero for what we now loosely describe as "emo", but don't hold that against them:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...hlight=feelies

markl

May 22, 2002 at 8:13 PM Post #10 of 11
I remember reading about that thread and I suppose I can look up the Feelies online. Thanks Markl.

May 22, 2002 at 9:38 PM Post #11 of 11
markl, I think you were pretty accurate with your description of Weezer. They seem to have a weird way of fitting into today's music scene. They have bucketloads of obsessed hardcore fans (me without the obsessed part) who listen to more b-sides, demos and live mp3s than the actual albums, but then they have the fans who say "I love Weezer!" but really they just bought The Green Album because of "Hash Pipe" and they remember "Buddy Holly" was an awesome song as well. I don't really care about this as long as Rivers Cuomo keeps writing interesting pop songs (maybe he could also throw in a song over 4 minutes once in a while too).

Oh and for the record Pinkerton is my favorite album, though not becuase I'm some Dashboard Confessional worshipping emo-kid but because the song structures, lyrics and vocals just seem more advanced than their other efforts. Blue album is pure pop bliss which I love as well. Green album is just too boring and predictable for me except in small doses.

Which brings me to Maladroit. It's good but not great IMO. Better than Green but not on par with Blue and Pinkerton. My favorite songs are "Slob" and "Dope Nose," which interestingly enough were both written (or at least first performed) about 2 years ago around the same time period as "Hash Pipe." I like "Burndt Jamb" as well, but the album version is disappointing to me compared to the original demo (posted on weezer.com) which had an extended guitar solo where the current version ends and the lyrics were better as well.

Wow I can't believe I wrote that much about Weezer, maybe I am obsessed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back