anyone hear the new fosgate tube headphone amplifier?
Sep 7, 2012 at 7:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

buson160man

1000+ Head-Fier
I hear rockford fosgate has a new tube headphone amplifier with two  tubes.I would like to hear anyones opinion of it or if anyone has heard it.Just curious about how it sounds.

Sep 7, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #2 of 8
Sep 10, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #3 of 8
No reviews from what i see.. curious because it has been out for some time. 

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #4 of 8
  I bought one, along with Senn 800's and changed the tubes for  
Genalex/Gold Lion ECC83's.
I found the new Senn's sounding better and better as they were getting broken in but the amp, especially with the added bass button ON, sounded beutiful.
Rich, warm, nothing 'tinny' and could play some mean R & Roll!
I've had the unit for 6 months now and I recommend it whole-heartedly.

Munchoba

Associated equipment:
QNAP server,Atoll DAC,Cardas interconnects, Mac Mini 201,Classé Preamp.
All AIFF sources.

Sep 25, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #6 of 8
Munchoba, welcome and glad to see you make your first post.

To what gear would you compare the Fosgate and how would you compare it?

Also, am I reading right that the outputs in the back are simply line-out through-puts?  Do they mute, either when the Fosgate is off, or when you have headphones plugged in?

What do these different features (the surround and the bass boost) do for the sound?

Thanks for additional details!

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #7 of 8
 I was at axpona in chicago recently and I got a chance to hear the fosgate tube headphone amp briefly on both the lcd-3 and the sennheiser 800.The amp sounds promising with both but with all the ambient noise present at the show and the shortness of my audition I can not define the sound capability.But it sounded like it was worth checking out more closely.It seemed to be able to drive both phones pretty well.The amp sure looks pretty.

Jun 12, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #8 of 8
I have had the Fosgate for a few months now and have to say that I am very happy with it, replaced a Lehmann Black Cube Linear with it and much prefer the sound, even better now that I have replaced the stock tubes with NOS Mullards. Great soundstage, good bass, great detail and totally non fatigueing. I have it set up with a Bel Canto Dac 3 fed by a NAS drive and Spotify Premium via Sonos linked by a DH Labs D75 digital cable, the link between the dac and the Fosgate is Chord Indigo phono cables, all driving a pair of Grado GS1000 phones recabled with Moon Black Dragon. I have found the bass boost useful but generally only on the minimum setting, it only seems to effect the lowest frequencies and therefore does not creat bass that booms. The spatial effect I can't say that I like and rarely use, it is meant to move the soundstage further away which it does subtlety on it's minimum setting but on maximum it sounds a little like it is coming through a chamber! Overall though a great sounding bit of kit for my tastes which are quite wide, it has stopped me looking to upgrade for the moment, well except for the phones but that's a different story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back