Anyone have their Gilmore Lite yet?
Aug 27, 2003 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Patrickhat2001

1000+ Head-Fier
It's been nearly two weeks since the Gilmore Lite was scheduled to be released--so I must ask has anyone received their amp, let it burn in and completed a listening session?

I know many of you preordered it and I'm anxious to hear your impressions.

(Sorry about the word usage on the title. I'm working toward an english minor and will know hang my head in shame.
biggrin.gif
)

Aug 28, 2003 at 12:01 AM Post #2 of 14
I don't have mine yet, but I e-mailed Justin sometime this week and he said the Gilmore Lites would be out this week. I'm really looking forward to mine. I had started to get unhappy with the sound of my Panasonic DVD-LA95, the midrange wasn't bad but it didn't have enough treble and bass, so I've been carrying my Gilmore V2 back and forth to work to use with my Ety's. It's a great system, very musical, I find myself bouncing in my chair while working quite often! :) Justin thinks the Gilmore Lite will be indistinguishable from the V2 with the portable, and it will be much better to carry, so I'm really looking forward to trying it out!

Sep 6, 2003 at 9:48 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by gpalmer
I heard these started shipping on Tuesday, has anyone gotten theirs yet?

Got ours on Thurs Sep 4th and we are not even in the US.
biggrin.gif

Sep 6, 2003 at 9:50 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Justin thinks the Gilmore Lite will be indistinguishable from the V2 with the portable, and it will be much better to carry, so I'm really looking forward to trying it out!

Actually with the Elpac it is even less portable than the V2. That is one big heavy monster. Of course it is not an issue if you have 2 Elpacs and just have the Lite to carry around. It's quite small.

Sep 6, 2003 at 10:10 AM Post #7 of 14
I'm hoping that it fits nicely into my case. I don't care about weight, I'm already carrying a laptop and the portable case so with some discs and the Gilmore V2 my hands are pretty full!
biggrin.gif
I get a lot of comments along the lines of "I see you brought half your house today." I have to go check my PO box tomorrow, I haven't had time to drop by this week so I have no idea if it's been sitting there waiting for me...

BTW - Have you compared it to the V2? Any comparisons yet?

Sep 6, 2003 at 10:15 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

I'm hoping that it fits nicely into my case. I don't care about weight, I'm already carrying a laptop and the portable case so with some discs and the Gilmore V2 my hands are pretty full!
biggrin.gif
I get a lot of comments along the lines of "I see you brought half your house today." I have to go check my PO box tomorrow, I haven't had time to drop by this week so I have no idea if it's been sitting there waiting for me...

BTW - Have you compared it to the V2? Any comparisons yet?

Don't have a V2 so I don't know. A comparison of sorts was made here,

http://www.sgheadphones.com/index.ph...opic=540&st=90

Sep 6, 2003 at 12:13 PM Post #10 of 14
I got mine on Tuesday (I'm using it as an "always on" amp that I can use when I have 10-15 minutes to listen and I don't want to turn my MPX3 on).

I don't have the V2, so I can't compare. I had a V1, and it's very similar, in the sense that it's neutral (but slightly recessed) in the mids. I've tried it with both the Sony 3000s and the HP-2, and it works well with both.

Of course, it's not the MPX3 (what is, LOL), but for it's intended purpose I like it. It's very small, so it's easy to place and transport. However, the Elpac is huge, so I wouldn't want to carry it around with me from place to place.

Sep 7, 2003 at 12:25 AM Post #11 of 14
Well, I dropped by my PO Box and there it was patiently waiting for me. I have listened to one song on it, before letting it run for some break-in.

First impressions: Workmanship/Fit and Finish look pretty professional, I have no problem with the construction. Tight, nicely defined sound and I like the midrange, but the sound lacks any real bottom end. I'm hoping this improves as it burns in. It's a nice change of pace from the V2 and if the bottom end improves, I think I'll like it.

Sep 7, 2003 at 12:37 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Tight, nicely defined sound and I like the midrange, but the sound lacks any real bottom end. I'm hoping this improves as it burns in. It's a nice change of pace from the V2 and if the bottom end improves, I think I'll like it.

It does, a little. It loses detai compared to amps such as the MPX3 and the nOrh SE-9/K-1000 combo, but that is something I expect, given the price. It's a good, mid-range amp that holds its own--just don't expect a really deep bottom end and the last word on detail.

Sep 7, 2003 at 10:22 AM Post #13 of 14
I look forward to the results of the burn-in. I'm not sure if the burn-in for my Lite will be anything like the V2. With the V2 the bass took a really long time to poke it's head up. It also seemed to be very poorly integrated till after a month or so of burn-in. I'm not having any problems with the detail of the Lite, but I'm using it to drive a set of Ety 4s, which I believe are an easy load as well as being detailed. What phones are you using it with? The Lite sounds much better to me than the V2 did out of the box.

Sep 7, 2003 at 12:42 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

What phones are you using it with? The Lite sounds much better to me than the V2 did out of the box.

I'm using the Sony 3Ks, the HP-2s, and the Ultrasone 650 Trackmasters. Remember, I don't have, nor have I had, the V2 as a basis for comparison. I'm comparing the Lite to the MPX3 and the nOrh se-9/AKG-K-1000 combo, and against these amps is does lack detail. That doesn't mean I don't like it--it just means that against this type of company it's shortcomings are a bit more apparent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back