Anyone have the Blackberry 8800?
Feb 28, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #2 of 16
i wonder if that will be coming to verizon...
frown.gif
i just switched carriers too, but i still have both carriers and my 8700c....i pick the worse timing on these things

Feb 28, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by antiant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i wonder if that will be coming to verizon...
frown.gif
i just switched carriers too, but i still have both carriers and my 8700c....i pick the worse timing on these things

I would be switching from Verizon. The unbelievable lack of international coverage is becoming a problem for me.

Feb 28, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #4 of 16
i'm trying to sell my xv6700, too much phone for me and want to go back to the blackberry, but i had no idea a new blackberry was on it's way, i almost got the 8700c version on the verizon network, but now i just might wait for the 8800 to get to verizon...i wish i could stay with cingular, they always have the latest phones, better discounts etc but verizon has better coverage where i'm at...pro's and con's i tell ya

Mar 1, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 16
Yup i've had mine for about two months now
biggrin.gif

i like it much better than 8700's. i find typing much easier and it looks so much sexier!

But it really depends on you. 8800 isn't a HUGE upgrade from 8700's. If the look is important to you (and GPS as well) and money is not an issue then you should get it. But in terms of functionality, it might not be worth for you.

Mar 1, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jayehs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup i've had mine for about two months now
biggrin.gif

i like it much better than 8700's. i find typing much easier and it looks so much sexier!

But it really depends on you. 8800 isn't a HUGE upgrade from 8700's. If the look is important to you (and GPS as well) and money is not an issue then you should get it. But in terms of functionality, it might not be worth for you.

I've got the 7290 currently, so it sounds like it would be a big upgrade for me.

Mar 1, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #7 of 16
oh definitely. screen resolution is amazing compared to 7290. Not to mention much thinner form factor. Although YOU might find it more difficult to type on it since you are coming from 7290. I have very round thumbs so i found it difficult to type of 8700's while 7200's i've had no problem.

also if you get 8800's, you gotta be more careful with it. 7290 is a tank and you can throw it against the wall and it'll be fine but 8800 is much more fragile.

I didnt' really feel the need to upgrade to 8800 from 8700 since the functionality is about the same and I don't use the GPS that much. But now i don't think i can go back haha.

Mar 1, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #8 of 16
i tested one yesterday after seeing this thread lol...it's sweet, the keyboard imo isn't too big of an issue, and it's slimmer, which is a plus, has extended miniSD card etc...now i have to wait for verizon to carry it which i hear is somewhere around Q2 and called the 8830, can't wait...i don't like my xv6700

Mar 1, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #9 of 16
I started with a 7100t, then a 7230, then a 7290, then to windows back to 7290, to 8700c, to Nokia 6620 for the past 6 months. Weird I know. I love the Nokia. I've played with the 8800 recently and the lack of the scrollwheel kills it for me. I've thought multiple times about getting the pearl for my fiancee because she'd actually like it.

The 7290 is the easiest and best to type on, but the 8800 adds so much fun stuff. If you need/want the new fun stuff I'd definitely go for it, but keep the 7290 until after the 14 day trial period.

Mar 1, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #11 of 16
It has a trackBALL not a scrollWHEEL. Some people won't care at all, but it'll throw alot of people off. I personally don't like it as much as if they had chosen to keep the scrollwheel.

The scrollwheel makes for much easier one handed operation.

Mar 1, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #13 of 16
Hm, this trackball doesn't sound good to me. I need to be able to use one-handed. Plus, I've come to like the wheel.

Also, I have fat fingers. Smaller buttons than my current 72xx probably won't be good. I'll have to play with one in-store.

Mar 2, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hm, this trackball doesn't sound good to me. I need to be able to use one-handed. Plus, I've come to like the wheel.

Also, I have fat fingers. Smaller buttons than my current 72xx probably won't be good. I'll have to play with one in-store.

I personally don't see how it is possible to use trackball with two hands

Mar 2, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #15 of 16
He's not talking about actually using 2 hand to operate the scrollwheel he means that needing 2 hands to easily support and use the phone is not ideal for him, which I agree. The 7290 is great because even though it's wide with the keyboard, it's easy to use with one hand supporting just the right side and using the trackball.

Being as wide as the 8800 is, stretching the thumb to the center to scroll down for everything you want to so might take some getting used to. I'm not saying it's necessarily a deal breaker, just something to be thought about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back