Anyone have problem here with discoloured Jena cable?
Jan 18, 2009 at 2:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

MarkyMark

500+ Head-Fier
I bought an ALO K701 recabled with this wire at the back end of 2007 and noticed a few months ago that the copper had become discoloured - it is green tinged (even fully green in places) which appears to be the result of oxidation.

I've emailed KB at ALO and he tells me he's aware of this and that they've stopped using Jena wire. It isn't considered a defect since he doesn't believe the sound is affected. I was just wondering if this was common knowledge?? KB directed me to the FAQ's on his site and there is a disclaimer in there but I'd say it's come as a result of this issue making itself present over time (he told me his personal pair now has the same issue!)

To be clear, I am not moaning at KB but it's a tad annoying as I was thinking of offloading the phones as I tend to use speakers mainly nowadays or my Mark MD5000's (which are also Jena recabled
eek.gif
), however the resale value must be affected to an extent by the discolouration.

Anyone else had a similar experience???

Jan 18, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #3 of 14
The wire is in a clear plastic sheath. If it was hidden I would be blissfully unaware
icon10.gif

Jan 18, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #4 of 14
yeah its pretty common knowledge. although it can be avoided if the solder joints are sealed with epoxy. and BTW the ALO site has been redone recently (in the last couple of months) and jena wire is still common as far as materials go, so he hasnt stopped using it at all.

Jan 18, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #5 of 14
Lawton Audio carefully seals all exposed wire, so there has been no issue with our cable work.

Jan 19, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #6 of 14
well, I know that he replaces his smaller cables that have had this issue...so I don't see why it would change just because it is a bigger cable. The issue is still there.

Jan 19, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #7 of 14
It's very difficult to get rid of the oxidization on this wire. No matter how you seal it carefully with glue or epoxy, when you carelessly scratch the insulation, the wire will be oxidized. Put on a nylon sleeve if you don't want to see this.

Jan 19, 2009 at 9:21 AM Post #8 of 14
But does it affect the sound? (I too have this pretty dark green almost blue'ish color at some part).

Jan 19, 2009 at 9:37 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lawton Audio carefully seals all exposed wire, so there has been no issue with our cable work.

Sorry Mark, I don't find it a serious issue, but the cables on the KH-K1000 you recabled also turn greenish, mainly the part where they enter the phone.

Jan 19, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #10 of 14
Kees,
I'm surprised to hear that, it's a first. I wonder if the Kenwood is different than the Denons and doesn't allow for sealing up the exposed copper, I will ask my tech. We warrant the cable work for a period of one year and will replace at our cost should you wish to send it in.

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #12 of 14
Can anyone confirm that this has zero influence on the SQ?

Jan 19, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #13 of 14
The process of oxidation occurs where the outer layer of copper molecules contacts oxygen in the air and loses an electron to the oxygen. So you get a ultra-thin layer on the very outside of the wire where the copper directly contacts air that turns a greenish hue, purely cosmetic in nature. No, it does not affect the integrity of the wire, it just looks a little funny. All copper oxidizes over time, mostly we don't see it because it isn't covered in a clear sheath.

Jan 19, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #14 of 14
Ok thank you so much for explaining
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back