Anyone have plans for a DIY Line-in Level Meter
Jan 18, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #3 of 16
I was just thinking this! Unfortunately my electronics background is limited to digital logic design. I've been tempted to do this with an FPGA or microcontroller via a A/D converter
eggosmile.gif

Wouldn't have a clue how to add it without affecting sound quality, though. If there is a parallel branch of the line-in to an A/D converter of said digital logic circuit, I can't say I understand the implications of splitting the current flow.

Also, surely there may be an analog-only way to do this. The "power LED cut-off on low power" feature that is on some DIY amps comes to mind. Something like a diode cuts off the current path to the LED if the circuit voltage drops due to low batteries.

Jan 18, 2005 at 4:40 AM Post #6 of 16
Wow, the LM3915 looks like tons of fun. Up to 10 LEDs X two channels = byebye battery life! Would be worth it, though, with some tiny low-current LEDs. Looks like the chip lets you adjust everything, and it can drive LCDs or VFDs in addition to LEDs.

I would love to add this to a PIMENTA with a switch to enable/disable it. Anyone know how it could be integrated without affecting audio quality (much)?

Jan 18, 2005 at 4:45 AM Post #7 of 16
just run it in parallel at whatever point you want to take the reading. i have a few half finished lm3915 circuits sitting around. i really should finish them,...

Jan 18, 2005 at 4:48 AM Post #8 of 16
Although the links are in Korean, these are good examples, and have circuit digrams.

LED Level meter 1

LED Level Meter 2

LED Level Meter 3

It looks like there needs to be a parrallel signal path for the VU meter, as I wouldn't like all this switching in the signal path.

If you wanted you could make a custom cable, with the parallel signal wires to the VU meter, then the single "passive" headphone cable from there to the phones.
eggosmile.gif

Hope this helps
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2005 at 5:28 AM Post #9 of 16
nononono ack thread hi-jack...... a positive thread hi-jack but a thread hi-jack nonetheless....

this is supposed to be about line-in level monitors for recording with binaural mics

Jan 18, 2005 at 6:20 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icy006
Wouldn't have a clue how to add it without affecting sound quality, though. If there is a parallel branch of the line-in to an A/D converter of said digital logic circuit, I can't say I understand the implications of splitting the current flow.

Wouldn't a gp op-amp do this, with a high input resistance to the point of insignificance.

Jan 18, 2005 at 10:03 PM Post #14 of 16
Why do you guys want little LEDs to light-up to sense the signal level? If you need a rough estimate, aren't your ears good enough? And, if you need something precise, why wouldn't you use a voltmeter?

If you really want to do this, then drive the output signal to four comparators (eg: use a quad comparator package like the LM339). Create your four reference voltages with a voltage divider network (eg: a tree of resistors). Tie the output of the comparators to an LED. Voila: signal meter.

Jan 18, 2005 at 10:47 PM Post #15 of 16
in the field, what your ears hear arent always what the microphones pick up. a well sortted meter is a valuable tool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back