Anyone Have or Actually Heard Doge 6 CD Player Sold by Pacific Valve
Feb 14, 2007 at 9:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Hershon2000

100+ Head-Fier
I'm curious if anyone has this or actually heard it, if it's as fantastic sound wise as described. If I had the funds I would buy it but I've gotten such great results with my Jolida JD-100 & Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 Tube Buffer, I've held out.

May 6, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #2 of 15
I have never heard the Doge 6. There are some comments on Audiogon and you might be interested in the following web site where the Doge gets favorable reviews.

REFERENCE COMPONENTS

I have read the reviews on this site and agree with some of the opinions offered (his favorable reviews of Vandersteen speakers) and disagree with other opinions (negative comments about Dynaudio speakers and Mark Levinson power amps). You can read all about the web site owners background. He is certainly a person who prefers tubes and analog equipment (and generally very expensive equipment). I do agree with the idea that you need to have tubes somewhere in your system. I think that a tube preamp makes the most sense. I have a tube preamp (a recently purchased 10 year old Audio Research Reference 1) and a Cayin headphone amp. I am very pleased with both. But for
smily_headphones1.gif
some things I still prefer solid state.

REFERENCE COMPONENTS

May 6, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 15
I was unaware of the controversy on Audio Asylum. I have a Denon 3910 and I am happy with it (of course it is unmodified and I purchased it new for $599).

Arthur Salvatore had the following to say about a $6,000 modified Denon 3910:

"The second major disappointment in this survey is the APL Denon 3910. With all the internet hype about how wonderful this player is, it turns out that it is smooth and non offensive transforming bright, lean source material into something more listenable."

I am not offended by his opinion. Also I think he has as many supporters as distracters on the thread at AA.

I don’t think Salvatore has any financial arrangement with the manufactures of the equipment he recommends. And much of it is used and esoteric. I just found it interesting that he liked the Doge.

Anyway, I didn't mean to start an argument.

May 7, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #6 of 15
I think Salvatore offers some interesting information and advice. Especially if you are interested in tubes and are willing to buy used. For example, he does not have positive things to say about the Audio Research Reference pre-amps. I have a Ref 1 which was about $10,000 new. I bought if from a friend for $2,000 (it is 10 years old but in almost mint condition). I almost did not buy it because of comments by Salvatore and also Drew (Moon Audio) who told me that he found the AR stuff too dry and analytical. But for 2k, it was too good of a deal to pass up. I think Salvatore would suggest that when the Ref 1 has something go wrong with it that I send it to someone to modify the power supply, etc.

Another component that he recommends is Quicksilver. Before I purchased the Ref 1, I was looking at Quicksilver (and Rogue). My problem was the input impedance of my power amp is relatively low. I e-mailed Quicksilver and the owner respond with a recommendation that I not buy his pre-amp to use with my solid state power amp.

If I had to do over again, I might have purchased a Quicksilver Pre-amp and a set of matching tube mono-blocks. But with the Dynaudio speakers I purchased, a tube power amp is probably not a possibility.

I think we have to take everyone's opinion for what it is: opinion. I read reviews all over the web and some magazines. I may eventually buy a tube CD player (in addition to the Denon, I have a Music Hall CD-25 which sounds great esp. on HDCD disks, a Pioneer Elite AV-45, and an older Cambridge player). I think the Denon and the Music Hall sound the best. I might buy a Cayin or a Doge or something made in the US if it is affordable. I am not spending more than about $1500 because I can't afford it (or can't afford my wife's disapproval).

Also, a CD player would be the one component I would be very reluctant to buy used. Unless I knew the person that I was buying it from. I would also like to hear about the Doge. I almost bought the Doge head phone amp based on reviews on Head-fi before I picked up the Cayin.

May 8, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hershon2000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious if anyone has this or actually heard it, if it's as fantastic sound wise as described. If I had the funds I would buy it but I've gotten such great results with my Jolida JD-100 & Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 Tube Buffer, I've held out.

I'm really feeling the Sony 88/66.. Man.. 700-900 CD players that are built to last, 30 plus lbs is incredible.. Great craftmanship..& is balanced as well..

May 8, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #8 of 15
smily_headphones1.gif
Quote:

kool bubba ice wrote: I'm really feeling the Sony 88/66.. Man.. 700-900 CD players that are built to last, 30 plus lbs is incredible.. Great craftmanship..& is balanced as well..

kool,

You are referring to the MHZS CD 88 and 66 which have Sony transports? The ad makes them look good.

I wonder how many people on Head-Fi have purchased from Pacific Valve. I almost bought the Doge 6210 based on a review of tube headphone amps on Head-Fi.

May 8, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #9 of 15
May 9, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #10 of 15
I have a PhD but my dad just made it through high school My old man was smart in many ways, but he was never much of a reader. I read all the time and my old man was always telling me to not believe everything I read.

Anyway, I have read a number of positive reviews about the MHZS CD players and have posted some links above. I found this very different review today and thought I should post this in case anyone is thinking about buying one of these units. I don't know anything about the reviewer but his website can be found in the second link:

MHZS-CD66F_MHZS CD88

Lampizator page index

I am a psychologist not an engineer. I know my way around computers and have taken some calculus and genetics courses for fun. I teach statistics and research design, but I don't pretend to able to evaluate this guy's reviews. The unit he examined may have been a factory reject or counterfeit. I don't know but since you can't believe everything you read, it is important to read everything you can before you spend your money.

May 9, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

kool,

You are referring to the MHZS CD 88 and 66 which have Sony transports? The ad makes them look good.

I wonder how many people on Head-Fi have purchased from Pacific Valve. I almost bought the Doge 6210 based on a review of tube headphone amps on Head-Fi.

Yes, I would be using my DAC1 though.. Since I have no amp to speakers.. I would like to hear the 66/88 dac though..

May 9, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #12 of 15
I have had Doge 6 tube CD player from Pacific Valve for 2 months, and PrimaLuna Prologue 2 tube integrated amp for 5 months.

Prior to that, I had a solid state 2-speaker system for over 20 years, but was not into changing anything for a long time due to career change, having kids, etc.

The new tube components play well so far with my old KEF Reference II speakers, allow me to love listening for hours everyday again. In fact, I have never heard such highs and such lows, and such rich tones from the same classical CDs I have had for 2 decades.

Specifically about the Doge 6. I thought my Oppo DV-970 player when served as the source player in my system currently was very very good for its price, with its excellent resolution and soundstage. The Doge 6 showed me immediately even on day 1 before full maturity from 200 hours of break-in that I haven't heard nothing yet! What a memorable jaw-dropping moment.

(I did have Pacific Valve replace stock Chinese tubes with NOS Mullards and Sylvania 12AX's).

I have no experience auditioning other higher end components. I am waiting for my kids to finish college first.

May 11, 2008 at 5:32 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Ez ear.

This place will cost you money. I have generally read good things about Doge.

Yeah, My head is spinning.. I want a Hi end CDP/Stax system/Balanced Desktop amp/ & a few high end headphones.. I cant spent I spent 188.00 last month on food.

May 12, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Ez ear.

This place will cost you money. I have generally read good things about Doge.

Too late an advice
redface.gif

I should just act like NATO (i.e. No Action, Talk Only) to save money. But seriously, thanks to forums like this, my purchases have been more informed. No regrets so far, just joy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back